What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

My RV-7 was in an clothing catalog photo shoot

Gash

Well Known Member
My RV-7 was in a clothing catalog photo shoot

An ad agency's models and photographers spent a few hours today with my RV-7 doing a photo shoot for an OGIO ad campaign. We had fun playing with the airplane and motorcycle. When I asked if they wanted me to "photo bomb" one of the pictures, they said absolutely! And of course, I shared the other seat with one of the pretty ladies.

oPE.jpg

oPb.jpg

oPt.jpg

oPe.jpg

Last edited:
You're standing beside a gorgeous blonde, and you've got your arm around the guy??? :D

Yeah, I'm aware. Thanks Sherlock. :rolleyes: She ran into the pic at the last second. The photo was actually supposed to be a little Instagram "gift" for my daughter who is a big Wil Higginson fan.

Alright children, I'm just sharing photos showing an example of how a Vans aircraft is going mainstream in an international high-end advertising campaign. Please leave your insecurities at home.

Models were flown in from London, Chicago and Paris for this photo shoot. Crew members came in from Seattle, Miami and Los Angeles. Just the travel costs alone for this project were staggering. I gave the director a choice of the Extra 330 or the Vans RV-7, and the RV-7 was chosen. Seems like sort of a big deal for the Vans brand.

Here's the airplane that lost out to the RV-7:

oP7.jpg

Last edited:
The first step is to admit you have a problem . My problem is in that pic I find myself looking at the plane more than the blonde. They're both beautiful but wow that RV is nice!! Beautiful pics!!

An ad agency's models and photographers spent a few hours today with my RV-7 doing a photo shoot for an OGIO ad campaign.

How did you get the gig?

I've done two of these, one with my L-4 (for a local clothing store's billboard campaign), and another with the JN-4C (article illustration for a Wall Street magazine). The first was a referral when the ad agency called around asking who had a WWII airplane. The magazine seems to have picked up an image on the internet, and tracked it via the N-number.

I'd call them both luck. Luck is good, but being proactive is better. Is there a "central casting" agency for airplanes?

You're standing beside a gorgeous blonde, and you've got your arm around the guy??? :D

Never assume. Her right hand may be, hmm, in his back pocket.

Last edited:
How did you get the gig?

I've done two of these, one with my L-4 (for a local clothing store's billboard campaign), and another with the JN-4C (article illustration for a Wall Street magazine). The first was a referral when the ad agency called around asking who had a WWII airplane. The magazine seems to have picked up an image on the internet, and tracked it via the N-number.

I'd call them both luck. Luck is good, but being proactive is better. Is there a "central casting" agency for airplanes?

Never assume. Her right hand may be, hmm, in his back pocket.

It was a friend of a friend sort of thing. There's no central casting for airplanes that I'm aware of. The crew were all a little apprehensive around the airplane and didn't know what they could touch, where to stand, etc--it was like they were afraid it was going to bite them. I gave the models spray and cloth and taught them how to polish the plane. (Those ended up being some great photos, but I didn't get any of that set emailed yet).

By the end of the day, everyone was comfortable around the airplane, having fun at the airport and just chillin' while I gave airplane rides. I corrupted a bunch of models by turning them into airport bums!

Last edited:
Just to make a mess of this otherwise fun thread:

Since the aircraft isn't being flown, could you get paid to use your RV in a photo shoot?

Since the aircraft isn't being flown, could you get paid to use your RV in a photo shoot?

Definitely. It's just a static display. Expect fee to be a negotiation, ie, they'll ask what you want, you start high, they say it's too much, yada, yada. If shooting for a national account, your fee is a minor thing.

She's pretty! The girl isn't bad either.

Even better that you gave out lots of rides too

Very cool.

Thanks for posting. Both planes are nice, but they probably picked the 7 because of the color scheme. I really like the blue.

MY moment of fame

My claim to fame was being on the cover of the December 1988 Sporty's Pilot Shop catalog. I had a 1946 Cessna 140, which I flew to Cincinnati in the winter to let my nephew fly it, because of the cold Minnesota winters.

I kept it at the Clermont County Airport, where Sporty's is located. We had just returned from a checkout flight and we're tying the aircraft down, when we were approached by a Sporty's representative. He asked if they could use my plane for add shoot of the A-2 flight jacket they sell. So of course I said yes. After a little more conversation about my background as a Northwest Airline pilot, I was asked if I would model the coat. So again I said yes. In return for my efforts, he gave me the A-2 jacket I was wearing for the photo shoot.

My airplane had a name on the side, "Suites Me". So they worked up a somewhat clever piece to put under the photo that said wearing the A-2 jacket suited me. My thought was it's free, suites me.

Nothing Personal

Alright children, I'm just sharing photos showing an example of how a Vans aircraft is going mainstream in an international high-end advertising campaign. Please leave your insecurities at home.

Models were flown in from London, Chicago and Paris for this photo shoot. Crew members came in from Seattle, Miami and Los Angeles. Just the travel costs alone for this project were staggering. I gave the director a choice of the Extra 330 or the Vans RV-7, and the RV-7 was chosen. Seems like sort of a big deal for the Vans brand.

Here's the airplane that lost out to the RV-7:

oP7.jpg

Well good on the RV world! It was likely the breathtaking blue paint and artistic sweeping lines.
Nothing personal, but I would take the 330 over all the rest, and leave you with the blond, the 7 and the other props.:D

Last edited:
Amazing when you look at the picture of the model with you vs. the other pictures where he puts on his model face he looks almost like a different person. I guess that is what being a professional model is about.

Suits Me

Frank: I can't believe you'd stoop so low as to be seen in an A-2. Everyone knows Naval Aviators wear a G-1.

Oh, wait. Did you say it was free?

Doug
Seattle area

Back