What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Birthplace of my engine

Vlad

Well Known Member
Paul Dye and Gary Sobek were attending an engine school in Williamsport PA. There was a gap in their course over the weekend and out of boredom they called for a meet-n-greet. The weather was nice and some of us decided to come visit our two RV heavyweights. :D

Williamsport KIPT Lycoming County PA. A towered gem, well hidden between the ridges. Andy and Scott came as a flight of two I saw them converging. You can't see them in the picture but they are there...

I delayed my arrival for several minutes. Not far the airport there is a famous factory. It's located just outside KIPT class D airspace.

I've been here in 2008. Toured the factory and picked up my brand new O-320.
Good people are building great motors. Who could have thought the engine will fly that close to its birthplace.

I heard another RVator on frequency, called the tower and they let me straight in. Nice friendly folks those ATC.

me to. thunderbolt division. O-360 A1A roller lifters, flowed heads. :D
P1000288.jpg

Paul the RV KGB - That crack in the wingtip wasn't here when you visit us in Nevada? Yea right you can't fix stupid Paul. Jim smiled :D

Mark Santoleri arrived with a pilot in right seat who deserves his own story.

Agent Orange had a little oil leak and was worried a bit. Until we told him that all Lycomings or clones leak. He changed a cylinder gasket anyway :D

A very unique image. There are two RV1 pilots, a DAR and A&P+, a disabled pilot and Flash Mob Squadron Queen.

There were plenty of flying lies in the restaurant it was a great mini gathering.
Airport terminal has a nice eatery on upper floor with a ramp view.

Thank you Paul and Gary for a great idea! We departed as a gaggle and went our own way. I had plenty of fuel to fly to a Walmart then to check on a new bridge under construction. It looks like they are raising it.

Keep pounding those rivets!

Last edited:
Great pics Tovarich......thanks for coming to visit!

Almost home .... One more leg to Reno (letting SWA do the flying - it was awful in Williamsport today!)

Sobek news interview

Gary,
Enjoyed seeing you on tv today. Just wish it wasn't at the expense of the Champ. Hope the fellow is doing ok.

Jim Diehl 7A
Williamsport, Pa

Gary,
Enjoyed seeing you on tv today. Just wish it wasn't at the expense of the Champ. Hope the fellow is doing ok.

Jim Diehl 7A
Williamsport, Pa

Any links Jim? Stations, times, location?

Last edited:

Jim:
Thanks for the link.

Had my truck not been parked where it was, I think the Champ would have went into my open hangar and hit my RV.

Yes that is me running in the video toward my truck to make sure the truck was between me and the Champ.

I may be the only RV builder/owner/pilot that had a car run into his airplane and an airplane run into his car.

Last edited:
Gary,

Jim Diehl 7A
Williamsport, Pa

Here is the info I have on John.
This afternoon:
John was taken by helo to a Pittsburgh Hospital. Report just in that he will be ok eventually, veins in leg leaking from tail strike - not a lot - but fixing anyway - broken ribs - one Lung deflated and broken elbow. He is in surgery right about now - fix vein, clean head wound - probably do elbow if it's not too swollen.The pilot is doing well considering he has a number of serious injuries.

This evening:
John is in the Intensive Care Unit at Presby hospital.

John was in good spirits but he is excessively bruised and has a LOT of bandages and staples in his legs, arms and head. John remembers some details but not all but at this time, he is well medicated. His daughter Katie was told that he would be in the hospital for at least a week.

You guys enjoy yourselves....

Over in Old Blighty we are busy.

Just rebuilt our RV7 after a 7 month re paint, annual, er busy time.

3 kits arrived from Van's in June - 2 12's and a 14.

Just finished inventorying the 12's and burning the boxes.....

Off to Florida with work tomorrow, back on Tuesday - then the build starts :D

Ha !

Back