What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cold weather flying in the RV-12 around Maine

Dvalcik

Well Known Member
Sponsor
It was -17c today at 3000ft. My modified oil cooler shutter was working like a charm. I was able to keep temps up to 235 allowing the cabin heater to work and keep the cabin warm. The Rotax was purring at 5400 RPM with great performance. :D

021116.jpg

021116 shutter.jpg

021116 grt temp.jpg

Last edited:
I saw your tracker David and was waiting for this. How thick is the ice by Governor's Mansion? :D

oil cooler baffle

I like that oil cooler baffle. Is it your design ?. Where can I learn a little more about it ? I have an RV-12 in Seattle, and lately I could use a little more oil temp, as well as a warmer cabin.

Thanks
Tom O.

I like that oil cooler baffle. Is it your design ?. Where can I learn a little more about it ? I have an RV-12 in Seattle, and lately I could use a little more oil temp, as well as a warmer cabin.

Thanks
Tom O.

I installed the shutter from Van's and modified it for the RV12 when I lived in PA and now live in Maine and fly well below zero most of the winter. I can keep my temps up.

shutter 1.jpg

shutter 2.jpg

shutter 3.jpg

Slight mod to make it larger to fit over the oil cooler.

shutter 4.jpg

shutter 5.jpg

Fully adjustable in the cabin in flight

At -17C do you have the cabin pretty much draft free?

I think a large contributor of cold air in the cabin comes from the gear leg openings. Maybe the spar openings need to be sealed as well. I'm thinking about ordering RV-12 Main Gear Leg to Fuselage Fairings for $60 from BuyPlaneParts.com

I tried gear leg and intersection fairings, hoping to cut the draft but that didn't do it. I'm trying the spar openings next after I get it back from the paint shop.

This looks like a slick mod for flyers in the cold north. I wonder if this should be considered only a winter mod and should be removed for summer flight. The oil cooler fin area is sized for a certain mass flow (air) over the cooling fins and it would seem that the flow restrictions imposed even when fully open would not be adequate for lower flight altitudes in the summer, especially July and August. If you plan to "wear" this all year round, it would be helpful for us all if you would report back to this community what your experience is in the summer.

George

Last edited:
Agreed, George... I was surprised at how little of the oil cooler I needed to block off to get the desired oil temps when flying with temperatures in the low 20s at ground level. Less than an inch.

Texans need not apply...

Agreed, George... I was surprised at how little of the oil cooler I needed to block off to get the desired oil temps when flying with temperatures in the low 20s at ground level. Less than an inch.

Us'ns in Texas seldom see those sub-freezing temps, and, per previous posts, need to keep the oil cooler nice and wide open during our "refreshing" summer months.

A pricey solution, but, along with doing some maxillofacial surgery to the cowling to move the oil cooler further from the muffler, I installed an oil thermostat, which restricts, but does not completely shut off flow to the oil cooler. It makes for faster warm-up times, and, if just a small amount of radiator blockage is needed in your solution, I suspect the thermostat unit also would work well in those Yankee temperatures.

Us'ns in Texas seldom see those sub-freezing temps, and, per previous posts, need to keep the oil cooler nice and wide open during our "refreshing" summer months.
Yeah, try Nebraska in July. It's almost Texas, just with smaller hats. :)
A pricey solution, but, along with doing some maxillofacial surgery to the cowling to move the oil cooler further from the muffler, I installed an oil thermostat, which restricts, but does not completely shut off flow to the oil cooler. It makes for faster warm-up times, and, if just a small amount of radiator blockage is needed in your solution, I suspect the thermostat unit also would work well in those Yankee temperatures.
I was all in favor of doing that... until I saw the Texas sized price tag attached to it. 700 bucks will buy a lot of duct tape and mogas.

As it turns out, Governor Valcik who fabricated this mod, is a Texan. Well, so he says?

Thx for very helpful pics of oil shutter install. I am about to do the same for new 12 in Colo where we also get cold.
Can you add info about how you mounted cable in cockpit?

Thx

Tom B

Thx for very helpful pics of oil shutter install. I am about to do the same for new 12 in Colo where we also get cold.
Can you add info about how you mounted cable in cockpit?

Thx

Tom B

Tom,

Left side under the key, a L-bracket riveted under the panel. I have 2 cables mounted, the one on left is for the Dampener for controlling air flow to the radiator and the cable on the right is for the shutter over the oil cooler.

shutter cable.jpg

I will PM my mobile number and you can call me if you need more info.

Back