What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

1,000 Posts Remembered.. Thanks VAF!

ppilotmike

Well Known Member
So, I just realized that this marks my 1,000th post on VAF. Being that it's right before the holiday and all my ducks are squarely in a row at work, I figured I'd reflect on what has come to pass in the time since I first entered the VAF family, as a lurker, almost 4 years ago...

1) Entertained and later embraced the idea that I could build an airplane.
2) Took my first ride in an RV-7A (Thanks Jeff!), experiencing the "world beyond the Skyhawk."
3) Flew to my first Airventure in Oshkosh, WI, in an RV. I?ve been every year since.
4) Met Doug Reeves, Van, Bob Hoover, the Rutan brothers and several other aviation celebrities
5) Joined my local EAA Chapter, of which, I was recently made a Board Member
6) Flew to Oregon to visit the Vans Factory and Evergreen Museum
7) Took my first ride in an RV-10 (Thanks David!)
8) Decided to build an RV-10, built a shop, bought tools and ordered a tail kit (what a rush!)
9) Took my wife to her first Airventure, 4 months pregnant
10) Had a family (Amelia ? 3yrs & Robert ? 5mo)
11) Helped a friend with terminal brain cancer go to Airventure with his Dad
12) Learned how to indoor skydive
13) Mentored local potential builders, by giving ?101? classes in my shop
14) Tried real skydiving
15) Took a course to learn to paraglide
16) Got involved with Young Eagles, marshalling airplanes during events
17) Bought an orphaned RV-3B kit, which will be the second plane I build
18) Shared the love of flying with my wife and kids and continue to expose them to it
A lot has happened in this time, and what a ride it's been. I?ve almost finished my wings for the 10 now, and will be moving on shortly to the fuselage, which is already on hand and inventoried. I?ve made lots of new friends, and helped to inspire many of them, old and young, by showing them what can be done with a little patience and perseverance. I recognize that I probably wouldn?t have done ANY of this without Vans Air Force and the support of the people I?ve met through VAF.
I want to use this 1,000th post to thank Doug Reeves and all the members of the VAF community. I also wanted to remind you all that: The home-building community (VAF & EAA) is not only about ?helpful tips? for building a plane. It?s about inspiring and supporting the pursuits of others, while fostering an understanding and love of aviation. In my opinion, we need more of this in the world... Carry on.

Mike,

What a privilege to read your words above. Thank you, Sir! Something Jay Pratt told me a long time ago popped into my head as I read them…..”I got more out of aviation than it got out of me.”

I’ve been playing around with what I would say if I had to describe this site/job/hobby in one sentence, and I still don’t have it yet. But, the working copy is something along the lines of “enjoying a life with a Van’s RV somewhere in the mix.”I’ll decide on something someday, but your kind words helped confirm to me my thinking is parallel with yours.

Kindest and congrats on your '1K',
Doug

Last edited:
Congrats on your 1,000 posts, your list of accomplishments, and being an aviator to boot. Can't imagine your next 1,000 posts. Carry on. :D

Last edited:
Have you met Turbo?

Great achievements Mike. I am ashamed to say that I barely made 1/3rd of your list with bigger post counts :eek:

Can't imagine your next 1K posts. Carry on...

Hey, you got me hooked to, Mike! It was Mikes situation and build log that convinced me to take the plunge. I still remember laying on the couch that day in January 2012 and placing the tail kit order, same iPad i write this on. Finished my 40 hour phase one today:D

That makes me tired!

Mike, you are one busy guy! With two little ones, two planes under construction, work, and all of your other aviation activities, I don't know where you find the time to post anything:)

Congratulations and thanks for the encouraging words.

Congratulations

Congratulations Mike.
I wasn't one of the mentored but I have benefited from your wisdom. To use your words...
Keep Pounding Those Rivets (KPTR).

Thanks..

.. for the kind words. Congrats, Derek. You make me jealous, since you're flying and I'm not, but I know my day will eventually come. Getting things done is tough, but my secret is not special. I also rely on the help of others and receive quite a bit of mentoring too. Not just in plane building, but everything else too. Kids, work, marriage, etc. It's wonderful to have access to those who have "gone before." KPTR everyone, and I'll do the same.

Back