What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How to reach the top of the hangar...

DeltaRomeo

doug reeves: unfluencer
Staff member
Could I trouble some folks to chime in on how they (affordably) get up to the top of their hangars? I have maintenance there from time to time that a 1 person scissor lift would address: oiling hinges, painting the two story ‘office’, etc. Also, with a lift I could envision some elaborate shelving that would solve a lot of floor space issues.
Something like:
bjd9wl.jpg

But you know, doesn’t cost $10K (more like 1/10th of that).
Yours vertically challenged,
dr

Last edited:
Got any buddies who are contractors??

Rental yards.

[ed. If it's borrowed, I can't paint it to match my plane!!!! I should have mentioned used is the preferred option. dr]

Last edited by a moderator:
We just picked up a used one that was only used indoors at our local school, for a lot less than that! Needed new batteries but it is in great shape!

Don't know if you have a Menard's down your way but they rent scaffolding for $1/day/part. I rented 16' of it for four days and it only cost about $40 total. I serviced my door, cleaned my ceiling fans, and touched up the paint.

000480646.jpg

one of these in a 14 foot variatey works for me. good cost and storability. :)

[ed. Good one....but my hanger is ~20 feet tall! dr]

Last edited by a moderator:
You could use an electric pallet lift like the one I use but then you'd get a bunch of OSHA flack. That said, the one I have cost me $2200 (cost of unit (craigslist) plus cost of a flat bed transport).

It's also useful for moving stuff and lifts my riding lawnmower for maintenance.

Last edited:
https://www.littlegiantladder.com

These are in use in the military and at the airlines. I bought the 22' Classic and got a show special price at OSH. They have 13', 17', 22', and 26' versions. Both the 22' and the 26' versions are a bit bulky for household use, but should be perfect for hangar use. They are rock solid.

Jerry Esquenazi
RV-8 N84JE

I have an old scaffold on wheels that I bought for almost nothing. It lives in the corner of the hangar and is used for storage underneath and on the standing platform. I keep all the spare 8 ft florescent bulbs up on the platform. as they don't get broken up there, and they're already there when I need them. Changing bulbs seems to be the most common use for the scaffold. Anything that is stored below is on wheels, like your moped or golf cart, so clearing it out is quick and easy. Check your local Craigslist for the used scaffolding. One word of caution, always lock all four wheels before climbing up, or you'll be in for a rude surprise. With the wheels locked, it's real secure, and not scary. A small stepladder can be used on the platform if you need more height. Strap it to the cross bars, and it's still not scary. A large A-frame ladder placed alongside the scaffold once it's in position, makes climbing up and down the rig way easier.

Craigslist, ebay, local lift resellers. All are ways to pick up used scissor lifts, forklifts etc. If you're anywhere near a decent sized city, I'd bet there is a local shop selling used lifts.

A cheap forklift and a man basket for the forks works great for our shop at work. Upside; you'd have a forklift. Downside; it's a 2 man operation....

Well let's see

I could always come over and do inverted hover with one of my rc's and do some cleaning or use some other attachments for oiling and stuff.

Bird

Last edited:
Back