What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New Paint Curing Oven

mfleming

Well Known Member
Patron
Sooooo...first thing I'll say is that my wife is out of town or I might not have tried this new idea.

I painted my brake pedals in my slightly chilly (sub 60?F garage). After drying all night I wasn't happy with far along the curing process was. Our clothes dryer has this insert for things you want to dry but don't want tumbling around.

One hour on high (about 145?F) really hardens up the paint :D

dryer.jpg

I don't think I would have put these in the dryer if the paint wasn't pretty far along on curing...not sure what kind of explosive fume paint gives off in the early stages :eek:

Attachments

• dryer.jpg
    dryer.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Sooooo...first thing I'll say is that my wife is out of town or I might not have tried this new idea.

Reminds me of the time my wife was out shopping & I used the oven to bend up some landing light lenses, she came back early & caught me... that didn't go over too well, but the lenses came out perfectly.

I sometimes use a heat gun to speed the process along. No direct hot air on parts just warming the area. You can watch the product dry. Be careful not too use too much heat it can damage your application. Primer is pretty immune to heat issues.

The first time I tried baking was not to try baking. Winter. Sprayed some Variprime primer and it was cold enough that it was taking a while to dry. I set the small pieces on the top grate of the Aladdin kerosene heater in the shop. Simply because I was impatient. Dried them fine of course.

Some time later, I needed to remove the primer from one. Man.. it was stuck on very well. Much better than non baked parts.

I started using an idle toaster oven stored in the shop on all future small parts. Low heat for the 10 minute mechanical timer.

I use an oil-filled space heater to cure my paints/epoxy in the garage. The nice thing is that is doesn't get too hot. I use a box over a screen to keep the heat in for small parts, and a drop cloth for larger parts. Does a great job helping cure the epoxy in those warm "San Fran" summers.

Your first mistake: Taking a picture...
Your second mistake: Posting the evidence on the internet where she might find it...

When I was single I washed some car parts in the dish-washing machine.
If you have black plastic parts which are faded out it gives tem back the nice dark black. I even washed some engine parts in it (of course with 2-3 times running the machine empty thereafter... worked great but I would`t try it anymore as I am not single anymore....

Back