What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

1st attempt at video

gmohr

Well Known Member
Today I took the GoPro Hero 3 Black that I have had, well since it came out.
1st time editing and creating this little vid. Just a 1.5 hr flight to pick up a
couple of the SCAA Ambassador Passport program stamps. Let me know what
you experts think.

https://youtu.be/ECpc-C0UaXQ

Been there!

Today I took the GoPro Hero 3 Black that I have had, well since it came out.
1st time editing and creating this little vid. Just a 1.5 hr flight to pick up a
couple of the SCAA Ambassador Passport program stamps. Let me know what
you experts think.

https://youtu.be/ECpc-C0UaXQ

Gerry,
I did the same. Mounted it as it was a gift. Fiddled some then put it into my flight bag.

Interesting Euro-Techno music choice.

I've landed at the last airport- Is it Pinehurst?

Happy Landings,
Daddyman

It looked good to me. You might want to buy yourself a "prop filter" if the scimitar prop illusion bothers you.

Gerry,
I did the same. Mounted it as it was a gift. Fiddled some then put it into my flight bag.

Interesting Euro-Techno music choice.

I've landed at the last airport- Is it Pinehurst?

Happy Landings,
Daddyman
Daddyman,

The last airport was KBNL, Barnwell County, Barnwell, South Carolina.
The music was from the GoPro App used to create the video. Biggest problem
with the GoPro is the battery life. That was a fully charged battery that only
lasted about 40 minutes. Still kind of fun. Waiting on weather so I can go
out and try again.

Thank you for the comments.

It looked good to me. You might want to buy yourself a "prop filter" if the scimitar prop illusion bothers you.

Snopercod,

Thank you for the suggestion. I actually have one but it fits on the
waterproof case. I have another that I need to modify in order to use the
audio input. I am also looking at other cameras should I really like doing this.

External Battery

Biggest problemwith the GoPro is the battery life.
It's the same with the Garmin Virb Elite. The internal battery is only good for about 2-1/2 hrs - not enough to record the beautiful (?) landing at the end of a long cross country flight. To solve that problem, I bought an external battery pack and plugged it in to the Virb mounted on the tail of my aircraft. Now the camera will last for six hours (longer than my bladder will last) even with the Wi-Fi enabled. Speaking of Wi-Fi, the Virb will connect to my iPad in the cockpit so I can control the camera from there.

I drilled a hole through one of the Garmin mounting pads and screwed it to the tail tiedown. I used flox to make a little support pad there. If I remove the camera mount, I can still screw the tiedown ring into the hole.

qrqid5.jpg

Back