What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pennsylvania Flying Farmers

Vlad

Well Known Member
Less then an RV hour north of my base I've discovered several uncharted airstrips. They all belong to farmers. This past weekend there was a flyin on one of them and I was invited. Beautiful day.

PA%20Flying%20Farmers%20-%201%201.jpg

This strip is tucked between the hills. An ultralight is based there and a helicopter.

PA%20Flying%20Farmers%20-%201%203.jpg

In better days of last century this airstrip saw 5 airplanes flying in. Today there were only two. Several frequenters don't fly anymore.

PA%20Flying%20Farmers%20-%201%204.jpg

Old flying buddies were joking about advanced age. They say there is less and less talk about women, more about ultralights and never of politics. Thanks for the invitation. Next year we will increase the number of airplanes flying in. Most likely I will be the only RV again.

PA%20Flying%20Farmers%20-%201%205.jpg

Then I got coordinates of another farm strip. George the owner let me check it without signing any waiver. It's kind of short and bowed you can't see the ends of the field. But it's groomed and very smooth like neighboring golf course.

PA%20Flying%20Farmers%20-%201%206.jpg

PA%20Flying%20Farmers%20-%201%207.jpg

PA%20Flying%20Farmers%20-%201%208.jpg

Interestingly, on the sectionals it's near Friendsville. Right name.

PA%20Flying%20Farmers%20-%201%202.jpg

I stretched my home leg over 1 hour the scenery was so beautiful.

PA%20Flying%20Farmers%20-%201.jpg

It's a different world there in farm country where a handshake and a word still matter and work.

Flying Farmers

Just east of Friendsville Hallstead used to have an airport. Kirkwood on the NY side closed years ago but the runway is still salvageable. To the west Sayre used to have two airports, both long gone.
In the day fly in breakfasts in central NY used to draw 50 plus airplanes. MANY flying farmers. Most of the flying farmers strips in that area are long gone. Now the breakfasts that remain have mostly drive in traffic. One notable exception is Penn Yan which still draws a big crowd on July 4.
On one 10 mile stretch of state highway in central NY there were four airstrips, all visible from the highway, all long gone.
I don't know where this trend is going but it certainly is not good.
I have a collection of Charts and Airport Directories dating to 1933. If anyone wants to discuss PA, NY and NJ Airports pm me at [email protected]

Love those colors

Vlad, those colors are great. Looks like the Lobster Fly-In needs to be moved to the second week of Oct.

Yeah, Vlad...awesome colors. The sagebrush out here is turning from a medium brown to sort of a grayish color...but then to orange when it catches fire! :eek:

Back