What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Passed IPC

Bob'sRV6A

Well Known Member
After about 200 hours flying my RV-6A VFR, I decided that I was ready to get back into instrument flying. I checked my logbook--my last instrument approach (a GCA in the clouds into Marble Mountain MAF, RVN) was on Aug 2, 1970 four days before I was shot down flying an H46D. So, its been a long time.
My two Skyview touch screens with the Garmin GTN 650 and autopilot made the flying part doable. It did take my old brain about 15 hours of CFII time and lots of on-line training to get it up to speed. Flying approaches with the RV and autopilot are a snap--very, very amazing rock solid glide paths and glide slopes.
I think back on all the work, all the years and all the rivets! The current instrument ticket is major frosting on the cake.

Kind of like riding a bike isn't it Bob? And the bike got a lot easier to ride since 1970. It must be a piece of cake compared to landing that big helicopter with people shooting at you. Thanks for your service and congratulations on your achievement. Old guys rule! John

Congrats

I'm working on my rating in my RV6. I agree the Dynon equipment a GPS navigator and auto pilot make it easy.

Congratulations Bob. I find your story inspirational since I am looking at doing the same. Last time current IFR was around '80. Now I have the equipment (7) and no excuses other than the work or dusting off cobwebs and retraining old brain cells.

Hi Van Pass

Bob,

Welcome Home

That wasn't your 46 in the bush near the top of the Hi Van Pass was it?
Flew UH-1's out of Camp Evans supporting troops in I Corps to the north and west and OH-6's in Phu Bai for all of 71.

thanks all

I Dropped into Hi Van Pass with transmission blowing oil all over the place--and upset an Army Arty officer to no end--that was in '70. Yep, I got my Navy Wings in June of '69 and flew H-46's with the Marines in Viet Nam November '69-Aug '70.
I was a little concerned about IFR work in the RV-6A after lots of postings about how it needed so much control attention. I do agree that without an autopilot it would be much more difficult and stressful. However, I really learned a lot from this website: http://pilotworkshop.com/ and all the videos of actual instrument flights from beginning to end in a Lancair360 solo without using an autopilot including going into JFK in IMC. Now that was inspirational!
Overall, it has been a huge feeling of accomplishment to get back the Instrument ticket and I am looking forward to using it mainly to get out of Santa Maria on foggy mornings.

'Green Love Fest'

BZ Bob.
Did you know Steve Kux, 'The Indian'?
This is turning into a 'Green Love Fest'. OV-10s, 71.
Welcome Home.

Back