What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-14 Jack Points

mountainride

Well Known Member
I have been jacking via the tie down using the vans method of 2x4s stacked with a bottle jack cup and ball arrangement. It works pretty well but it will get side loaded a little bit as load is taken on and off the gear. This works fine for maintenance at home. I need to come up with a solid plan or product to jack via the gear leg or axle if I am away from base. I don't want to carry a jack. I want to be able to use a standard scissor or car jack I can find at any airport. What are people using?

I have been jacking via the tie down using the vans method of 2x4s stacked with a bottle jack cup and ball arrangement. It works pretty well but it will get side loaded a little bit as load is taken on and off the gear. This works fine for maintenance at home. I need to come up with a solid plan or product to jack via the gear leg or axle if I am away from base. I don't want to carry a jack. I want to be able to use a standard scissor or car jack I can find at any airport. What are people using?

Works perfect!

I had to slightly enlarge the wheel pant bracket.

https://www.flyboyaccessories.com/product-p/7214.htm

I believe that will only work on the 14a version. You can kind of use a jack on the bottom of the -14 gear but its not an ideal setup.

rV14 jack points

Your correct, our Jackpoints for the RV14s only works on the 14A gear. As soon as we can physically get to see a 14 gear assembly we will be able to create a jackpoint.
Anyone in the San Diego area building a 14 and willing to let us prototype our concept would be greatly appreciated.

RV-14A, RV-12, RV-8 Jack Points

Since we're talking Jack Points...we developed a slick little jack-point that does double duty as a wheel fairing bracket mount. Just toss the bolt & nut in your travel bag and you're good to go. Works with scissor jack or a floor jack.

These were developed for RV-8 but will also work on RV-12, RV-14A, and even non-RV types like Sonerai or Ranger that use flat landing gear with the Type I axle. Affordably priced, too - fify bucks for what you see in the pic.

You can jack RV-14 using a short length of 3/4" to 13/16" round steel bar inserted into the U-1421 axle fitting.

Attachments

• Sky Designs Jack Point.jpg
    Sky Designs Jack Point.jpg
    670 KB · Views: 322
Since we're talking Jack Points...we developed a slick little jack-point that does double duty as a wheel fairing bracket mount. Just toss the bolt & nut in your travel bag and you're good to go. Works with scissor jack or a floor jack.

These were developed for RV-8 but will also work on RV-12, RV-14A, and even non-RV types like Sonerai or Ranger that use flat landing gear with the Type I axle. Affordably priced, too - fify bucks for what you see in the pic.

You can jack RV-14 using a short length of 3/4" to 13/16" round steel bar inserted into the U-1421 axle fitting.

Ken, those look nice, do they have the exact same spacing from the gear leg to the wheel fairing bracket as the stock RV-14A part? Any modifications required to the bracket? Also curious what size bolt that is? I'm sure you've done the math on it, just wondering how much margin it has for shear & bending loads since those loads are applied to the threaded portion which is not nearly as strong as the shank...are there even published numbers for the threaded portion? Could you use a hardware store bolt or does it have to be MS or AN?

Also when you have a wheel and brakes installed, is it possible to get a floor jack up close enough to the bolt head with the jack aligned such that the handle is pointing forward (towards wing LE) instead of straight inboard (beneath the fuselage) as shown on the picture on your website? Would be a bit of a pain to operate the jack from directly under the center of the fuselage...

For my -14…

For my RV-14 I had a machine shop make me a jack pad that I can slide into the gear boss. I can then use any jack that fits under the pad to raise the wheel.

Attachments

• FD497E18-E635-46D9-A9B3-BF1B38E6CC82.jpeg
    FD497E18-E635-46D9-A9B3-BF1B38E6CC82.jpeg
    861.1 KB · Views: 248
  • AEE4B6CE-D44B-40DB-89D2-088BC2BE2AFB.jpeg
    AEE4B6CE-D44B-40DB-89D2-088BC2BE2AFB.jpeg
    907.4 KB · Views: 262
Another picture…

Here’s another pic…

Attachments

• 4A91C8AD-2B0E-4553-8F84-45701FE26391.jpeg
    4A91C8AD-2B0E-4553-8F84-45701FE26391.jpeg
    123.7 KB · Views: 224
Here’s another pic…

Hi Jeff,

What is the apparatus behind the 2 jack pads in your picture?

Also I have seen others just use a solid piece of round aluminum stock without any pad welded onto it. It works well with a standard floor jack, is light and can be carried with the aircraft if travelling.

You have reminded me to get mine.

Attachments

• IMG_4046.jpg
    IMG_4046.jpg
    216.2 KB · Views: 199
Hi Jeff,

What is the apparatus behind the 2 jack pads in your picture?

The apparatus behind the jack pads is a lathe headstock spindle support, this is mounted to a lathe spindle, opposite the lathe chuck. An example of use would be re-chambering a rifle barrel. The barrel is passed thru the lathe spindle and clamped in the chuck and supported on the muzzle end by this device. The purpose is to prevent the barrel from whipping when rotating in the lathe and improve the rife accuracy.

Hi Mark, in response to your questions:
The bracket mount portion of the Sky Designs jack point is 1/8" shorter than the "standard" bracket mounts supplied in the kit. If you're retrofitting our jack points to an already finished and flying wheel fairing installation, it will likely be necessary to use a shim under your inboard wheel fairing bracket. If you have yet to fit and install your wheel fairings, then the height difference will be lost in the noise of all the other variables associated with fitting and installing wheel fairings...you know how that is ;-)

You'll need to use your uni-bit to drill a 7/8 diameter hole in the inboard wheel fairing brackets to allow the jack-point boss the protrude through. The threads are 1/2-13 and we supply a 2 inch long "Grade 8" 1/2 inch bolt and nut in the package. The reason for this is that the bolt must be "grade 8" (130 ksi min yield strength) and no longer than 2 inches in order to support the load. The design load is 700 lb.

As for accessing the head of the bolt from the front as opposed to the side, that will depend on the exact dimensions (height & width) of your jack. Some floor jacks allow you to get in nice and close whereas others aren't so compact. If your jack allows you to get within 2 inches, then you're good to go.

I hope this helps!

Back