What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Gun Drilled Gear Legs

OH Bob

It's too bad that Van's didn't mention that it's virtually impossible to install the compression brake line fitting (F69-F-04X02) as called for in Step 5., page 35iS/U-08, AFTER the main landing gear are installed. If someone has a technique for installing this fitting I'm all ears, otherwise I'll have to remove the fuel tank, then loosen (or remove) the landing gear legs in order to be able to access the threaded hole on the aft side of the gear legs with the compression fitting. Hopefully the gear legs would still be in alignment when reinstalled.

For those who have not yet installed their gun drilled gear legs, now would be a good time to install the above mentioned fitting, rather than attempt it AFTER the legs have been installed.

Luckily I read another builder's comments on this and installed the upper fittings before the legs and tank were installed. I will need to remove the wheels to install the lower fittings (not a big deal). At this point in the build I would be tempted to just plug the drilled holes and go the external, aluminum tube route had I not pre-installed the upper fittings, but not clear if this would violate the E-LSA rules. Definitely should be a plan revision for this situation for those that follow.

update the instructions?

I will need to remove the wheels to install the lower fittings (not a big deal).

I was lucky enough to avoid the upper fitting trap but had to remove the wheels. One hour wasted...

Maybe Vans could or already have updated the instructions to install the fittings first? I must have one of the first gun drilled legs. They are great and i dont miss the extern tubing.

Sorry that you have to do this, but can one of you help the rest of us not to make this mistake by telling us where in our KAI we should put a big yellow sticky note ahead of time?

I understand that you're very specific about the callout on 35-08 Step 5, but that's too late. You say to install it now...but I know I can't do that yet because I'm doing the seats. My finish kit is in the hangar and it's coming up soon enough for me and I don't want to forget. I could look in the manual and assume, but you've actually experienced it so help us out with a page and step where it would work to insert this step.

Thanks!

It's too bad that Van's didn't mention that it's virtually impossible to install the compression brake line fitting (F69-F-04X02) as called for in Step 5., page 35iS/U-08, AFTER the main landing gear are installed. If someone has a technique for installing this fitting I'm all ears, otherwise I'll have to remove the fuel tank, then loosen (or remove) the landing gear legs in order to be able to access the threaded hole on the aft side of the gear legs with the compression fitting. Hopefully the gear legs would still be in alignment when reinstalled.

For those who have not yet installed their gun drilled gear legs, now would be a good time to install the above mentioned fitting, rather than attempt it AFTER the legs have been installed.

I was unaware that the current KAI pages didn't address advanced installation of the brake line fittings to the gun drilled gear legs prior to them being installed.

Process has been started to get that corrected.

Sorry that you have to do this, but can one of you help the rest of us not to make this mistake by telling us where in our KAI we should put a big yellow sticky note ahead of time?

I understand that you're very specific about the callout on 35-08 Step 5, but that's too late. You say to install it now...but I know I can't do that yet because I'm doing the seats. My finish kit is in the hangar and it's coming up soon enough for me and I don't want to forget. I could look in the manual and assume, but you've actually experienced it so help us out with a page and step where it would work to insert this step.

Thanks!

You can put the "big yellow sticky" on page 35iS/U-03, which addresses the gear leg installation.

Has anyone though about collecting tidbits like this for the RV-12 build in a wiki like someone else is doing for the RV-14 (I think)?

There is a 'gotcha' thread like that but it's old and based on the legacy model's build manual. I still find it handy for things to take a closer look at. The KAI is remarkably accurate but there certainly are some things that could be listed out.

...like the two rivets in the bottom of the F-1203Gs that are not documented to be installed and sure look like they would be part of a later step. That one goes back to the legacy model and there is a thread from way back in 2009 on it!

Caught in the trap...and irritated

Just spent 3 hours on a cold floor installing/torqueing all the tire/wheel/brake components on my gun drilled legs...only to discover that it all must be removed to install the 90 degree AN fitting on the bottom..(as there is no clearance to turn it..).....Also, I was unaware of the problem with the top fitting issue until I found this thread.....which could even be a worse issue.

Mr. McDaniels stated in Post #5 that the "process has been started to get that corrected"...but that post was on July 7th...It's now almost 4 months later. I just checked all the revisions, and I could find nothing that any correction has been made. Either I missed it (possible), or it's one heck of a "process"....

I should never post when I'm irritated, but it seems that there could be a quicker and better solution to correct such a minor instruction in the KAI...particularly when it results in hours and hours of wasted effort. E-mail blast to all 12 builders...something.

If I missed something about installing this fitting without removing the wheel and brake plate, I would certainly appreciate any information. Also, is it "impossible" apply the top compression fitting with the leg installed, or can it be done with just some difficulty..?

... I should never post when I'm irritated, but it seems that there could be a quicker and better solution to correct such a minor instruction in the KAI...particularly when it results in hours and hours of wasted effort. E-mail blast to all 12 builders...something.

Your irritation is understandable. We will review this internally today.

FYI, we have published an update to the Kit Assembly Instructions (KAI) for the RV-12 and RV-12iS, which includes changes to the install sequence for upper 90-degree fitting on gun-drilled gear legs.

Before this change, the plans called for the installation of the fittings at a point that required some disassembly, which is clearly far less than optimal. The updated plans now specify installation of the fittings at the proper point to avoid this problem.

Here are links to the revised sections for both the legacy (RV-12) and current (RV-12iS) KAI:

Last edited:
Back