What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Think you've seen it all?

RBD

Well Known Member
Removed out of respect for the plane owner, as well as the plug putter inner. All jokes aside, the plug was only there to keep unwanted heat from leaking through the heat box, which as pointed out by Perry below, are usually pretty inadequate in terms of sealing the firewall from an actual fire.

Mods, please delete.

Last edited:
Too much shopping at the Ace Hardware aviation aisle and not enough at Aircraft Spruce...:rolleyes:

I'm wondering what else you will find...

what's that spell?

F-I-R-E-W-A-L-L

YES feye - yer -wahl as in FIRE!

although, he does have that hi-temp tin foil or something wrapped around it...should be fine for 3 - 5 seconds, eh?

seriously tho', we're all making fun, but just how great is our main cabin heat hole in the firewall? Lots of aluminum valves/doors/ shrouds out there also.

Yowzer, what a mess. Looking at that give me hope that my plane might eventually fly and not fall apart in the process.

That's obviously one of those inflatable RV's. Pull the chain and you can fit it in your flight bag. Very slick!

Dang.... get a prebuy folks!!!

Good Morning Everybody.... I was browsing the contractor ads for Afganistan contractor mechanics this morning when I saw this thread on the forums... hopefully I can stay in the states. Anyhow.... it's just disappointing to see holes in the firewall with parts from the local plumbing store. Lots of people have blind faith in that if someone built an airplane... it will be right. Newsflash... mechanics have saved many many people a metric TON of money and frustration by doing a complete conditional inspection as a prebuy!!!! Now... being picky and by the book has not exactly enamored me with several people but they are still alive to complain. If I sign off on an airplane, that means I would gladly put my 8.5 month old son (dang he is eating me out of house and pantry) in the airplane and have full faith in the mechanical abilities of the aircraft. Yes... there are shortcuts you can take on a few things just to get it back to your shop like rolling the aircraft in a closed hangar to feel and hear the wheel bearings... Get a prebuy folks!!!!! please!!!
Best,
Brian Wallis

I seem to recall reading or hearing that Spaceship one used a cork stopper as the valve to keep it pressurized during its space shot. That and a canister of Oxygen.

Maybe that guy was just planning to fly high! Or maybe he was high before flying...:D:D:D

Back