What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Panel changes

Jslow2

Well Known Member
So while waiting on tools, workshop setup etc. I've been screwing around in Solidworks. Is the panel a structural component? can you change the shape of it? This is what I've been thinking of.

Attachments

• panel.jpg
    panel.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 313
Panel Changes

No, the panel is not "structural" in that the airplane flight loads are not carried through/by it. I categorize aircraft structure as "primary" and "secondary", and I would say the panel is a secondary structure. It carries the weight of the avionics attached to it.

So as far as the changes you illustrate in your Solidworks model, I would say it would be OK. However, you appear to have the support ribs from the firewall for the slider canopy, and these are structural. So be careful where you put your avionics in the panel so you don't have to compromise (ie. cut and then have to reinforce) the ribs.

Also, the panel is not very wide, and angling the avionics toward the pilot may not be necessary. It's easy in Solidworks to forget the actual size of things. I plotted mine out on an E size drawing full size and then got a blueprint shop to plot it full size. In my case, I fastened it to the actual panel in the fuselage and tried out the ergonomics from the pilot seat. If you're not that far along, you can still do a quick physical mockup to check the switch throws, radio buttons etc.

No need to angle items in center of panel

The center of the panel is less than 12" offset from the center of the pilot seat and does not pose a view limitation for the pilot. My avionics stack center is offset from the center of the panel 4" to the right and has posed no problem viewing or reaching the far side controls on a panel mounted 296 in 11 years of flying. I plan to install a GPS 175 at the top of the stack in place of the 296 and it easily meets Garmin angle of view. IMHO you are adding a lot of unnecessary work trying to angle the radio stack. I suggest you sit in an RV to get a feel for reach and view before committing.

the question of the panel being structural can only be answered by vans. I do know that the RV-4 panel is considered structural because it contributes to the stiffness of the longerons and the forward boot cowl.

Panel

I asked Vans. On my 7, they said it was structural. I kept it stock.
That said, there's a lot of folks with multi part panels so might want to ask about your specific solution.

Back