What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pan Pan vs Mayday

Paul 5r4

Well Known Member
I have a question. I listened to the audio of a controller... I think somewhere in the North East part of the country but not sure.... anyway, he had an aircraft several miles out over water and instructed the pilot to descend. The pilot stated he was too far out and was already out of gliding distance and requested an immediate heading change to head back closer to land. The controllers response was IMHO a scolding and again instructed him to hold his heading and descend. They again had a round of disagreement with the controller holding his ground and the pilot finally descended despite his feelings that the descent jeopardized even more than it already was his and the passengers safety.

Trying to learn something and think about how I would have handled this brought me to this question. If the pilot had declared a Pan Pan Pan would that have helped his situation? With a Pan, I don't think he could have turned against the controllers instructions. I decided if it had been me, I would have most likely handled it like a Delta crew did with a statement something like "If you don't give me an immediate heading change, I am going to declare an emergency and turn back towards land.

And I know the engine has no idea it's over water so please don't go there. The point here is a pilot obviously was very uncomfortable with his situation and tried to get a new heading with no luck. (He did eventually get his heading change).

EDITED couple hrs later. I know the difference between the pan and mayday/emergency. Just wondering what would have been the best way to have handled the above situation. I may have heard UNABLE during the pilots transmission but it was clear it was his heading he was concerned about and wanted something taking him closer to land. After more thinking and reading the posts... I think I would have just declared the emergency to get back.
Thoughts and Thanks!

Last edited:
I've used both and, in my limited experience, there was little if any difference, despite what the books may say.

In any case, when in doubt, declare an emergency. It's rare to have to explain your actions after doing so -- I'm 0 for 3 or 0 for 4, don't recall. And in any case, file an ASRS report to protect your certificate.

Once you've filed an ASRS, you can talk freely with the FAA. As in any organization, there are good guys and bad guys... and we've all got more to learn.

PAN

The radiotelephony message PAN-PAN is the international standard urgency signal that someone aboard a boat, ship, aircraft, or other vehicle uses to declare that they have a situation that is urgent,[1][2][3] but for the time being, does not pose an immediate danger to anyone's life or to the vessel itself.
Enough said!

For me, if my pants aren't already soiled, we're still just working together, so we negotiate. If I'm not hearing that we're working toward a solution, second round from me is, "Unable". If it sounds like we're still not working together and I'm out at sea doing X knots while that controller is nice and comfy in his chair while I'm staring at all the factors and options dwindling fast (been there and know it well).. Yeah, declare! The magic word is "Emergency". Forget the semantics of the other words.

I haven't ever gotten all the way to the third strike where I felt the controller was in my way, but I have been in the situation of knowing there is nothing they can do but shut up and clear the field.

Both are icao standard. Mayday is equivalent to declaring an emergency maybe towards the immediate danger, pan was covered above. Just like position and hold went away I bet emergency goes away.

Clear communication is always paramount, Pan Pan or May Day will be the attention getter......Don’t think of the controller as a pilot friend, pretend he is your neighbor down the street that hasn’t a clue about airplanes and you have to explain the basics to them. Tell them what you want and or need in basic English, sometimes unable is the best answer but give them a “why” so they can enact plan B.

Last edited:
Would there be a link to the audio OP references? I love listening to things like this.

Make sure you go back far enough. The root cause of this sort of thing often starts with ATC saying, ‘I have an amended clearance for you’, and the pilot accepting it instead of saying ‘unable’.

Last edited:
I tried to find the ATC audio from youtube but can't seem to run across it. When I look up my recently viewed stuff it stops at Dec. 27, 2020. If I do find it, I'll post a link.

Several years ago I was flying from KSBA to KSTS up the California coast. Decided to fly lower than I usually do for a desolate coastline and was 5-6K feet for most of it. Over Monterey bay, I started descending down to 2000” to stay below KSFO class B, so I could stay just off the coastline. Upon contacting center as a curtesy, they asked if I would like clearance through class Bravo. I happily agreed and was instructed to climb to 3500. As soon as I entered their airspace, was given vectors out to sea for departing A380. Several minutes after the Airbus was gone, and I am getting farther off shore, I was cleared direct. It was a very awkward situation to be in, and in the future, i will stay clear of the airspace.

Back