What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hop-Along Fly-In 2015

Bill Boyd

Well Known Member
There's a definite lack of threads in this sub-forum. Let's fix that ;)

My preliminary feeler indicated a lot of interest in resuming our traditional early summer fly-in gathering at the farm for grub, river floating, and possible overnight camping. It seemed some preferred June 20th but a few could only make it on the 13th.

Solution: schedule it for June 13 and keep the 20th as a "Stormy" weather rain date. I am such a genius :D

Mark your calendars. Saturday June 13, all-day fun at the Boyd farm, including lunch, afternoon river float, fire pit, overnight camping if anyone wants it, and breakfast for the hardy souls who do. Early arrivals get to help with ATC, Unicomm, parking and grilling.

Covered-dish sides, BYOB and desserts are a tradition for this event, but we will provide the meat and the drinks.

We have ten river tubes but you may bring your own gear if you want. Remember sun screen, bug spray, and footwear that can get wet. The river bottom is lined with rocks and pebbles which are uncomfortable to walk on barefoot. Even if the river is not your thing, there's a hot tub and I hope there will be a new pool and deck (the RV-10 project may have to wait another year) by June, so bring a bathing suit (and somebody make sure Vlad knows this is not a Speedo we are referring to.):eek:

Those staying later in the afternoon or R.O.N. may want to bring some shooting toys; we do have a rifle and pistol range, but there will be limited times to use it (same general area as the camp sites) and NO mixing of alcohol and firearms. All safety rules must be followed at all times, just sayin'.

Looking forward to it, everybody. An R.S.V.P. would greatly help in planning, of course. Post it right here.

Aerodrome info at http://www.airnav.com/airport/12VA
Aerial photo is looking due east.

-Stormy

Added

On my list. Might overnight if enough others do likewise.

Jim
RV-4 N444JT
Leesburg, VA

Planning to camp for an overnighter and leaving the speedo at home so Vlad will have full honors. :D

You DO realize...

Planning to camp for an overnighter and leaving the speedo at home so Vlad will have full honors. :D

that just because you said that, he will show up in one. Mark my words. He will attempt to cruise successfully for foxes...

Hide the wymynz :D

Enjoy the series

I can't make it on 13th I have a visitor coming from faraway early on Flag Day. I am still in on "Stormy" day.

House Fire

The bad news- Stormy's (Bill Boyd) house burned down last night. Good news- everyone is okay. His detached hanger, and RV-6, are fine, but his recently completed brand new panel was destroyed. I know he counts this group as close friends. Thought you should know. He needs our prayers.
Wayne

Hi, everybody

It's hard putting life back together after losing everything, but we are doing it by grace, one step at a time. Connectivity is being re-established here at the little bungalow that is my Mom's guest house, across the runway from where our home stood until Wednesday.

We are all unscathed; even the dogs were outside when the house burned. I'm confident the insurance company will compensate most all of what can be made whole with just money. There were, as always, the kinds of losses that transcend monetary valuation.

And there was the panel - alas! Six months of evenings (probably a few day's work for Stein's crew) plus all that shiny new stuff - now just ashes, indistinguishable in the pile of charred wood and twisted rusted metal that is my basement, open to the sky. It's difficult not to lament the loss of a panel where you crimped every pin, tied every lacing stitch, mapped every connection, all by yourself. Now that I've pushed myself through the discipline of that exercise, I'm not sure I wouldn't hire it out to someone else faster and better the next time around.

We will rebuild. Our participation in the aviation and RV community may look different than it did before. The gear may be a different brand, but the enjoyment we find here will remain the same. Maybe as the summer wears on, we will find ourselves at a place where we can offer proper hospitality to a gaggle of RV visitors for a fly-in. Right now, I'll be doing well to get a proper replacement lawnmower before the runway turns into a hayfield again.

Warmest regards to the VAF community and all my airplane friends. (Dang it! My three new VAF Tee-shirts got incinerated before I even got to try them on. So many little losses on every side. So thankful my real treasures are right here with me under this new roof.)

-Stormy

Last edited:
Back