What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SB-00058 - HIC Module (note: replaced SB-00041)

greghughespdx

Well Known Member
Advertiser
We have published Service Bulletin SB-00058, which supersedes and replaces SB-00041. Owners who already have executed or are planning to execute SB-00041 should instead refer to and follow the instructions in SB-00058. The timeframe for compliance with SB-00058 is at or before the next condition inspection.

This bulletin describes steps to replace the RV-12iS HIC module on RV-12iS aircraft with avionics kits shipped prior to August 2022. A kit is available to RV-12iS customers, which contains the parts needed to replace the HIC module. This action is considered safety-related since the problem described involves potential interruption of fuel pump electrical power in the HIC module connector. As a safety item, this kit is being sold at-Van's-cost to customers who own RV-12iS aircraft. Parts are in stock as of the date of publication for approximately 200 aircraft.

Note: In the event your existing aircraft wiring harness is not long enough to allow installation of the new connector and attachment to the new HIC module, you can order the WH-00146-1 wire harness extension, which will alleviate the short wire problem. Owners are to assess the need for this in the SB-00058 document’s steps.

An email will be sent directly to affected customers registered in our database, as well.​

WH-00146-1 contents?

Thanks for posting this. I've already placed my order for the replacement module.

The S.B. mentions possibly needing to order a "WH-00146-1" if the harness needs to be extended. I didn't order one as it appears that my harness may be just long enough. However if I'm wrong and the harness needs to be extended, is there anything more to the WH-00146-1 other than just the appropriate butt splices and wire? (It's a 15 minute drive to Aircraft Spruce, vs waiting for a shipment from the west coast)

Curious to what type of terminal/PN is being used on the wire that interfaces to the connector (looks like the same style connector PMAG uses).

VAFDR_%20970%20Oct.%2004%2016.53.jpg

dosent the SB say to insert bare wires into the connector? i was wondering about the use of wire ferrels. are they included in the kit?

dosent the SB say to insert bare wires into the connector? i was wondering about the use of wire ferrels. are they included in the kit?

The store listing for the SB-00058 lists the kit contents as:
Code:
(2) AN526C632R6 view
(1) AV-60009-2 view
(1) ES-796859-8
(5) MS21042-06 view
(5) NAS1149FN632P view
(1) TOOL-00114

No ferrules are listed, so I'm assuming none are included. This makes sense as ferrules typically require a specialized crimping tool, that I would guess very few RV-12 builders have.

I did contact support about some other questions I had related to the WH-00146-1 extension. According to the drawing, the WH-00146-1 should come with ferrules pre-crimped to the extension wires.

Greg,

The SB references new procedures in the POH. Has this been updated on the website? The last revision (Rev 8) shows Feb 2022.

I've had an odd phenomenon occurring following the installation of the new HIC module. After the airplane has been sitting for a while (typically overnight), during the start procedure, when the Master is powered on, the fuel pumps won't power on. A quick cycle of the Master solves the issue. Is this normal operation? Is a cycle of the Master required prior to engine start?

Thanks!

Michael

We have published Service Bulletin SB-00058, which supersedes and replaces SB-00041. Owners who already have executed or are planning to execute SB-00041 should instead refer to and follow the instructions in SB-00058. The timeframe for compliance with SB-00058 is at or before the next condition inspection.

This bulletin describes steps to replace the RV-12iS HIC module on RV-12iS aircraft with avionics kits shipped prior to August 2022. A kit is available to RV-12iS customers, which contains the parts needed to replace the HIC module. This action is considered safety-related since the problem described involves potential interruption of fuel pump electrical power in the HIC module connector. As a safety item, this kit is being sold at-Van's-cost to customers who own RV-12iS aircraft. Parts are in stock as of the date of publication for approximately 200 aircraft.

Note: In the event your existing aircraft wiring harness is not long enough to allow installation of the new connector and attachment to the new HIC module, you can order the WH-00146-1 wire harness extension, which will alleviate the short wire problem. Owners are to assess the need for this in the SB-00058 document’s steps.

An email will be sent directly to affected customers registered in our database, as well.​

I'd need to see the new schematics for the new HIC module. I'll map it out if they aren't published before I receive the new module.. but, some electronic components start out in an unknown/indeterminate state and care must be taken to make sure they go into a known state before being used.

Van's electrical guy is pretty good.. but its a possibility i guess.

I installed mine last week and just finished helping a friend install his. The fuel pumps came on fine after the first power up of the master for both of ours.

I'd need to see the new schematics for the new HIC module. I'll map it out if they aren't published before I receive the new module..

It looks like the new schematic is now available. There is an RGB LED on the board for diagnostic purposes. The schematic describes it's operation as:
Screen Shot 2022-10-14 at 3.24.23 PM.png

POH

I'd like to see the revised POH. Page 4-2 of the current POH has the following warning: "During high ambient temperature conditions, run the fuel pump for 5 mins to flush the fuel lines and minimize the potential for vapor lock."

With the new HIC, this may not be possible. It appears the fuel pump will "time out" if left on for more than approximately 20 seconds without starting the engine.

I'd like to see the revised POH. Page 4-2 of the current POH has the following warning: "During high ambient temperature conditions, run the fuel pump for 5 mins to flush the fuel lines and minimize the potential for vapor lock."

With the new HIC, this may not be possible. It appears the fuel pump will "time out" if left on for more than approximately 20 seconds without starting the engine.

If I remember correctly, the timer that controls the automatic activation of start power doesn’t start until the starter motor circuit is activated by the key.

Start Button Bypass

The Start Button Bypass (SBB) is actually activated as soon as the Master Switch is turned on. As long as the main aircraft battery bus voltage is below the programmed threshold (~13.7V) the SBB circuit will stay activated indefinitely.

The problem we are seeing with the new AV-60009-2 HIC Module is people are testing the system with a battery charger connected (or just removed) and the bus voltage is above the threshold due to battery float charge. As soon as the SBB computer senses the bus voltage is above the threshold a 60 second timer is started, so 1 minute later the SBB circuit is shut off.

The EarthX battery has a very low self-discharge rate and should not need to be connected to a battery charger except during system testing when the Master Switch is on for extended periods of time and the aircraft isn't going to be flown soon, allowing the aircraft generator to charge the battery. I.E. While testing and configuring your systems before airworthiness.

There is no need to connect a battery charger between flights, in fact, the high float voltage will most likely cause your SBB circuit shut off sooner than you want it to. The EarthX documentation says the "resting voltage" of the battery as 13.3V, which works fine with this system unless the battery has just been charged.

You can reactivate the SBB circuit by flipping the Master Switch off and back on or engaging the starter with the key switch. Until the bus voltage is below the threshold the SBB will keep turning off in 1 minute.

This feature is detailed in the Flight Training Supplement, and the circuit is illustrated in the Pilot Operating Handbook.

RV-12iS FTS link.

POH link.

As stated in the FTS, the SBB circuit will be re-activated any time the key switch is turned to the start position, as in an engine restart scenario.

Other aircraft that use the 912iS engine have a manually activated switch for the "Start Button" which is not as convenient to use while turning a key for the starter and working the throttle AND holding the Start Switch. Particularly, if you are also flying the airplane!

Please read all your manuals, including the Rotax published manuals, so you have a thorough understand of how your aircraft systems work.

Attachments

• POH SBB.JPG
    POH SBB.JPG
    83.7 KB · Views: 191
  • EarthX Charging.JPG
    EarthX Charging.JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 162
  • SBB.JPG
    SBB.JPG
    81.2 KB · Views: 179
Tony,

Looks like that links to the POH revision posted in Feb (Rev 8). The new SB explicitly directs the reader to "Please review and operate using the new emergency procedures listed in the RV-12iS POH after completing this service bulletin. Ensure the correct, up-to-date version of the POH is carried in the aircraft." It would be nice to understand the behavior of the new HIC module in an emergency. Based on the verbiage of the SB, this is a safety-critical POH update and certainly should have been provided with the SB.

Can't say that I'm too thrilled with the idea of needing to ensure the SBB circuit is reactivated to restart the pumps. Just one more thing to further complicate an emergency situation. The current shutdown procedure has you turning off the pumps immediately following shutdown. Is there actually a benefit to them shutting off automatically a few seconds earlier?

The Start Button Bypass (SBB) is actually activated as soon as the Master Switch is turned on. As long as the main aircraft battery bus voltage is below the programmed threshold (~13.7V) the SBB circuit will stay activated indefinitely.

The problem we are seeing with the new AV-60009-2 HIC Module is people are testing the system with a battery charger connected (or just removed) and the bus voltage is above the threshold due to battery float charge. As soon as the SBB computer senses the bus voltage is above the threshold a 60 second timer is started, so 1 minute later the SBB circuit is shut off.

The EarthX battery has a very low self-discharge rate and should not need to be connected to a battery charger except during system testing when the Master Switch is on for extended periods of time and the aircraft isn't going to be flown soon, allowing the aircraft generator to charge the battery. I.E. While testing and configuring your systems before airworthiness.

There is no need to connect a battery charger between flights, in fact, the high float voltage will most likely cause your SBB circuit shut off sooner than you want it to. The EarthX documentation says the "resting voltage" of the battery as 13.3V, which works fine with this system unless the battery has just been charged.

You can reactivate the SBB circuit by flipping the Master Switch off and back on or engaging the starter with the key switch. Until the bus voltage is below the threshold the SBB will keep turning off in 1 minute.

This feature is detailed in the Flight Training Supplement, and the circuit is illustrated in the Pilot Operating Handbook.

RV-12iS FTS link.

POH link.

As stated in the FTS, the SBB circuit will be re-activated any time the key switch is turned to the start position, as in an engine restart scenario.

Other aircraft that use the 912iS engine have a manually activated switch for the "Start Button" which is not as convenient to use while turning a key for the starter and working the throttle AND holding the Start Switch. Particularly, if you are also flying the airplane!

Please read all your manuals, including the Rotax published manuals, so you have a thorough understand of how your aircraft systems work.

I don't think a revised POH is coming or it would have been published when the SB was released. Nothing in the way the new HIC Module functions has changed the previously published information in the POH Emergency section.

POH Rev. 8, page 3-15, 3.5.3.1 procedures still apply.

3.5.3.1 ENGINE AIR RESTART ROTAX 912 iS
• Maintain Airspeed – 60 KIAS minimum (see note below)
• Smart Glide – Hold Direct-To Button on G3X (Garmin Only)
• Lane A & B Switches – BOTH ON
• EMS Backup Battery Switch – ON
• Fuel Pump Switches – BOTH ON
• Fuel Shut-Off Valve – CHECK ON – DOWN
• Throttle – SET TO 55% - 65% OPEN
• Spar Pin Override Switch – HOLD DOWN
• Ignition Key – ENGAGE
• If restart not possible, change throttle settings in attempt to
restart
• Follow 3.6.2 “Forced Landing” procedures if unable to restart
If you study the POH schematic I posted previously, you will see the EMS Backup Battery Switch (BBS) connects the Main (Aircraft) Bus directly to the 912iS EMS Bus A. The BBS serves the exact same purpose as the SBB circuit in the HIC Module does - to supply battery bus power directly to the EMS system - only more directly.

To address your second point. I guess I wasn't clear in pointing out that in normal operating circumstances you should not be connecting a battery charger to your aircraft. The EarthX battery will be fine for a month (or two) without charging. There should be no parasitic loads that will drain the battery between flights.

And if you follow this advice, the first sentence of my previous post is how the SBB circuit will function.

As long as the main aircraft battery bus voltage is below the programmed threshold (~13.7V) the SBB circuit will stay activated indefinitely.

To answer your question as to why the system shuts off your fuel pumps automatically.

During normal operations Rotax designed the EMS system, including the fuel pumps, to be powered by the Generator A. NOT the SBB or the EMS BBS!

The SBB and the EMS BBS connect the main bus to the EMS A bus for starting and if both generators fail in flight. Period.

If you suffer an engine failure, prop strike or a crash - anything that stops generator A from powering the EMS - the fuel pumps will shut off. That would probably be a good thing if you severed a fuel line in the crash!

Rotax designed the system and Van's implemented Rotax's design in the RV-12iS electrical system. I invite you to review the Rotax Installation Manual, where you will find the attached Rotax schematic.

Tony,

Looks like that links to the POH revision posted in Feb (Rev 8). The new SB explicitly directs the reader to "Please review and operate using the new emergency procedures listed in the RV-12iS POH after completing this service bulletin. Ensure the correct, up-to-date version of the POH is carried in the aircraft." It would be nice to understand the behavior of the new HIC module in an emergency. Based on the verbiage of the SB, this is a safety-critical POH update and certainly should have been provided with the SB.

Can't say that I'm too thrilled with the idea of needing to ensure the SBB circuit is reactivated to restart the pumps. Just one more thing to further complicate an emergency situation. The current shutdown procedure has you turning off the pumps immediately following shutdown. Is there actually a benefit to them shutting off automatically a few seconds earlier?

Attachments

• Rotax IM Start Power.JPG
    Rotax IM Start Power.JPG
    102.1 KB · Views: 177
Last edited:
Tony, the FTS also states that “Using both fuel pumps during engine start could cause damage to the engine...” I have been led to believe starting on one pump simply keeps a low charged battery from being pulled too low with both pumps running, yet the air start procedure states to have both running. Not sure what “engine damage” could occur from this. Can you elaborate on this apparent discrepancy? Thanks.

Attachments

• 26E4D29D-64A4-4530-90CE-40ED73A93D36.jpg
    26E4D29D-64A4-4530-90CE-40ED73A93D36.jpg
    559 KB · Views: 140
The Starting instructions come from the Rotax Operators Manual (something else all 912iS operators should read!) which states:

ATTENTION
Only switch on one fuel pump when starting the engine. Switching
on both fuel pumps can lead to a bad start behavior.

I don't know why "engine damage" was the term chosen to for the statement in the FTS. It's possible "bad start behavior" could lead to starter damage or excessive wear?

During an Air Restart procedure you want to be sure that everything that makes the engine run is activated. And the procedure should be simple enough that it can be committed to memory for instant recall. This is also why the EMS Backup Battery Switch was placed next to the fuel pump switches!

Remember, both fuel pumps should be running at all times after the engine is started, as per the FTS. Also, the EMS Backup Battery Switch (BBS) should always be off unless both generators have failed. See attachment and read the POH & FTS, what you learn could save your life.

Attachments

• Rotax OM Start.JPG
    Rotax OM Start.JPG
    74.8 KB · Views: 171
  • RV-12iS FTS Fuel Pump Operation.JPG
    RV-12iS FTS Fuel Pump Operation.JPG
    240.5 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:
SB-00058 updated to Rev 1

We've published REV 1 of SB-00058 (the original website link remains the same), in which we removed the erroneous reference to an updated POH procedure. Please refer to the new revision of the doc. Thanks, and sorry for the inconvenience associated with the info error on the original version.

Assume the engine stopped because you were very low on fuel and the pickup tube became uncovered for a brief period..

Based on what you say here.. it sounds like the procedure is still correct, as long as its followed.. the "EMS Backup Battery switch - ON" would provide power once again to the fuel pumps. If the prop is still windmilling, the engine should start up immediately at this point. correct?

The only risk seemd to be when the pilot doesn't follow the procedure. He may not try the ignition key because the prop is still rotating... and he may not think to use that EMS Backup Battery Switch .. because.. well, in normal operations, it never gets touched. He might notice 0 psi fuel pressure and try flipping the fuel pump switches, but that won't help. Eventually he'll pitch for best glide, the prop would stop..and maybe then he'd give the ignition switch a try.. and he'd be back in business.

The old behavior, where the pumps continue to run after a stoppage, just seems safer.. except during a crash sequence, as you mentioned.

3.5.3.1 ENGINE AIR RESTART ROTAX 912 iS
• Maintain Airspeed – 60 KIAS minimum (see note below)
• Smart Glide – Hold Direct-To Button on G3X (Garmin Only)
• Lane A & B Switches – BOTH ON
• EMS Backup Battery Switch – ON
• Fuel Pump Switches – BOTH ON
• Fuel Shut-Off Valve – CHECK ON – DOWN
• Throttle – SET TO 55% - 65% OPEN
• Spar Pin Override Switch – HOLD DOWN
• Ignition Key – ENGAGE
• If restart not possible, change throttle settings in attempt to
restart
• Follow 3.6.2 “Forced Landing” procedures if unable to restart

... the EMS Backup Battery Switch (BBS) connects the Main (Aircraft) Bus directly to the 912iS EMS Bus A. The BBS serves the exact same purpose as the SBB circuit in the HIC Module does - to supply battery bus power directly to the EMS system - only more directly.

Assume the engine stopped because you were very low on fuel and the pickup tube became uncovered for a brief period..

Based on what you say here.. it sounds like the procedure is still correct, as long as its followed.. the "EMS Backup Battery switch - ON" would provide power once again to the fuel pumps. If the prop is still windmilling, the engine should start up immediately at this point. correct?

If a 912 Rotax stops running in flight, it STOPS.
It dos not windmill (well if you were diving at the ground when it stopped it might but not in normal flight attitudes).

That is why the procedure includes “engage key”.

I can attest to what Scott says. Fortunately the corrective action he mentioned worked. The problem was maintenance related. One carburetor did not seat properly in the socket and was allowing air to be sucked into the intake manifold. I was doing stalls with a student, and when he pulled back the throttle the engine quit. I thought maybe the idle was set too low as a first thought when it restarted. I have learned it is much better to figure out issues on the ground than go with assumptions in the air.

They took the phone and complicated it.... now they are taking the single engine plane and doing the same thing to it. They did it to your new truck also. Don't believe me, just look under the hood of a 1972 F-150...

My 6A with one mag only needs oil and fuel to fly, and can do so on about the same amount of fuel that a 12 uses at the same speed.

What's my point, *ell, I don't know. You should know me by now..:D

Looking at the SB instructions it appears that there is no way to perform this SB without removing the canopy and the top cowl. The paint shop I used did not remove the these items for the paint job and it will break the paint to remove the top cowl.

Does anyone have any tips or recommendations for minimizing the amount of paint damage and broken paint areas when I go to remove the top cowl?

Looking at the SB instructions it appears that there is no way to perform this SB without removing the canopy and the top cowl. The paint shop I used did not remove the these items for the paint job and it will break the paint to remove the top cowl.

Does anyone have any tips or recommendations for minimizing the amount of paint damage and broken paint areas when I go to remove the top cowl?

Did they paint the airplane with the top cowl installed? It has to come off for inspections, so maybe I am misunderstanding something here? Or are you referring to the top-forward metal skin that covers the avionics bay area?

Or are you referring to the top-forward metal skin that covers the avionics bay area?

Yes. I assumed in this instance, since the images in Figure 1 and Figure 2 show this piece removed, that this was being referred to as such. But re-reading it I see this is called the forward upper fuselage skin. It is painted, screw heads and all, and will crack the paint to remove.

Is there a method for limiting the amount of damage when I perform this SB?

Yes. I assumed in this instance, since the images in Figure 1 and Figure 2 show this piece removed, that this was being referred to as such. But re-reading it I see this is called the forward upper fuselage skin. It is painted, screw heads and all, and will crack the paint to remove.

Is there a method for limiting the amount of damage when I perform this SB?

Gotcha - just making sure. A paint cutter kit (sometimes called screwhead paint cutters) can help to make sure paint damage is minimized when removing screws that were painted that way. Similarly, a razor knife can help break the paint lines along skin seams. Just work very carefully.

FWIW, I was able to complete this service bulletin fairly easily without taking off the avionics bay cover. Removing the right side G3X display allowed me all the access needed.

FWIW, I was able to complete this service bulletin fairly easily without taking off the avionics bay cover. Removing the right side G3X display allowed me all the access needed.

If your airplane doesn't have a right side EFIS screen, removing the right side panel section should provide enough access to complete the work for the S.B depending on what tools you have access to.

If your airplane doesn't have a right side EFIS screen, removing the right side panel section should provide enough access to complete the work for the S.B depending on what tools you have access to.

I think I'd buy a "Mac Tools" truck before breaking paint on screws holding instrument bay cover... :D

I needed the harness extension, my guess is that most recent 12is builders will need it. Mine is a dual Garmin setup so I'm not familiar with what may change with other panel configurations but it really wasn't even close and I think most will need it.

As to the time frame, it's pretty easy. My 13 year old daughter did 95% of this SB with close guidance over the course of 4 evenings. An experienced builder with a longer attention span would probably do it in a couple hours. This is with the forward top skin removed.

Attachments

• IMG_3937.jpg
    IMG_3937.jpg
    500.4 KB · Views: 105
I did not need the extension. I pulled the pins from the old connector and cut the wires as long as I could. Ended up about perfect. (Garmin system, received 7/27/22. Probably one of the last ones to come without the updated module and connector.)
PXL_20230113_010026164.MP.jpg

I did not need the extension. I pulled the pins from the old connector and cut the wires as long as I could. Ended up about perfect. (Garmin system, received 7/27/22. Probably one of the last ones to come without the updated module and connector.)

Same story here, for what it's worth. Completed very recently on a new build, no extension required.

Back