What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

You might be an RV builder if.....

...You bring your old computer back from the dead, so you can have one in the garage.

...You run an Ethernet cable from your router out to your detached garage, so you can put that resurrected computer online and check VAF and rvproject.com without coming into the house.

That would be three in the garage.

You might be a geek RV builder if you buy a cheap Linksys router, and flash it with new software to save money over buying a real wireless bridge, just so you can extend your wireless coverage to the garage...

Erm, yeah. :cool:

You return from a business trip to find that your wife has completed a sub-structure you were working on before you left.

You might be an RV-Builder if...

#288 - you have ever taken the Aluminum Riveting 101 Class at OSH more than once in the same day.
#289 - you have ever snuck in to the Aluminum Riveting 101 Class at OSH when they get to the "hands-on" part, even though you took the class twice the day before.
#290 - you have ever offered to help another "student" drill out a rivet at the Aluminum Riveting 101 Class at OSH, just because you were passing by and it looked like they needed some help.
#291 - you have ever "lost" someone near the Vans tent at OSH because they kept walking and you didn't! :D

You might be a geek RV builder if you buy a cheap Linksys router, and flash it with new software to save money over buying a real wireless bridge, just so you can extend your wireless coverage to the garage...

Well, actually it's a wireless router. But I do have three laptops in the shop - one for the flow bench, one for the motorcycle and one next to the airplane bench. Can't stand to throw them away when they get old, you know.

You might be an RV builder if:

You've got logging software on your iPhone to track the amount of time spent on each part of the project.

You've built more than one trim tab.

You make multiple trips to the local airport to study how the other guys have fabricated a particular part.

You can have lengthy discussions about RV construction and design minutia.

You know that you've made the right choice after hearing an RV described as a "Porsche of the skies."

You've grokked the meaning of "infinite patience."

Several of your neighbors have asked to let them know if you need any help with the construction.

When you see an RV at an airport you can examine every detail with a knowing eye.

YOU know...

You know you are an RV builder if you used to be jealous of other guys planes before you started/finished yours. Now you taxi up next to them and they are gawking!

This is great!

#292: You've spent the past hour and twenty minutes reading all 291 reasons whilst laughing so hard you cry.
#293: Realizing that you are guilty of more than 50% of the things on this post and you don't own a single rivet to an RV yet...
#294: Continually ponder what hobbies can be abandoned or what can be sold to be able to buy the tail section of the -7 so you can consider yourself a builder.
#295: Are genuinely concerned that the number of posts you have contributed to this forum has not hit "50" yet. :eek:

Yep!

Had to set it up in the window because my shop is in a steel hangar. Actually I didn't buy it. My nephew had several old ones in the closet.

That looks cool but you are never going to see them, once they are installed.

Here's the "You might be a RV builder if..." thread.

Last edited:
why not

That looks cool but you are never going to see them, once they are installed.

Seeing them is not the point. I have come to the conclusion that building an RV is like creating a sculpture. An artist is not interested in what is seen but what he is expressing through its construction.

I think that there was something in you that wanted to do it that way, just out of love :)

Seeing them is not the point. I have come to the conclusion that building an RV is like creating a sculpture. An artist is not interested in what is seen but what he is expressing through its construction.

Itching the creative side of the brain. Totally agree.
Some of my best work is hidden inside the plane. Makes me proud just thinking about it but nobody will ever know.

Bill R.,
You're almost right, but I'll see the pedals every time I look down getting in/out of the jet...er, plane.

Everyone else,
Right! I built that part of the airplane (plus all the others) exactly the way I wanted it, which is one of the many tremendously satisfying aspects of building my own RV. :D

How 'bout...

99) Your honey-do list is a mile long, the yard looks like ****, and the cars haven't been cleaned in months. Why? Because you have better things to do... You have an airplane to build!

and...

100) Your entire family has now removed the word "garage" from their vocabulary, and replaced it with "shop".

I hear ya. Also keep the house at temp 54 so you can afford that new lycoming.

Asses every spray paint color in the home depot.

When you go to work and co-workers say "looking good there, Joe". And you realize you have lost 20 pounds from not eating dinner or anything on the weekend trying to get those darn wing skins riveted.

Bill R.,
You're almost right, but I'll see the pedals every time I look down getting in/out of the jet...er, plane.

Everyone else,
Right! I built that part of the airplane (plus all the others) exactly the way I wanted it, which is one of the many tremendously satisfying aspects of building my own RV. :D

Way to go! Build it the way YOU want it!

You might be an RV Builder if...

#301: You find yourself recommending new stock items to the owner of your local Harbor Freight store!

#302: When asked, "How's your little project coming along?" You mistakenly think they're talking about your RV project, instead of the fact that your first child is due in 2 1/2 weeks! (This actually happened to me today..:eek:)

You might be an experimental builder if

- there is now aircraft hardware, wiring, and fabricated aluminum widgets also appearing on your car, lawnmower, furniture,....

- a piece of rudder skin shows up as a prop in your kids' school play.

- you have the only 10yr old girl around who can fabricate her own toys.

You might be an RV Builder if... #303 -

- One girlfriend helped you rivet the right wing.
- Another girlfriend helped you rivet the left.
- The first woman you lived with helped you rivet the fuselage.
- Your wife flew with you until the kids arrived.
- You hope your next significant-other will want to build an F1 Rocket with you!

[email protected]
flying RV3, 700 hrs
(ah, the life of an aviator!)

You might be an RV builder if...

You have ever used safety wire to hang Christmas ornaments or lights.

(Just finished putting up the lights and decorations outside yesterday.)

You might be an RV Builder if... #303 -

- One girlfriend helped you rivet the right wing.
- Another girlfriend helped you rivet the left.
- The first woman you lived with helped you rivet the fuselage.
- Your wife flew with you until the kids arrived.
- You hope your next significant-other will want to build an F1 Rocket with you!

[email protected]
flying RV3, 700 hrs
(ah, the life of an aviator!)

:D:D
I distinctly remember telling my 2nd exwife once "That airplane was here before you were, and it'll be here long after you're gone."

She's gone, it's still here. Life is good.

You might be an experimental builder if

- you have the only 10yr old girl around who can fabricate her own toys.

Hmm... I seem to remember having that distinction myself! ;)

Is it time to have a "Your Kid is a Future RV-Builder If..." thread? :cool:

...if your good wife knows the difference between "fiberglass clothes" (the jeans you wore while sanding glass fiber) and regular clothes......and does not wash the fiberglass clothes with your underwear.

Unless you were bad ;)

Last edited:
You might be an RV Builder...

...if you are showing the neighborhood kids your project and also trying to get them to convince their parents to buy a tail kit. :D

You might be an RV builder...

... when you are shopping in an automotive store and pause momentarily when you see an aisle with a sign that says "RV Accessories".

... when you overhear people around the office talking about a road trip they're going on and how long it will take to drive there and you immediately bring up a spreadsheet that you have set up to calculate how long it would take to fly there in an RV.

....if your 10 month old girl can say cleco when playing on the shop floor.

....if you are grateful for your wife offering hot dogs for supper so that you can continue the project at hand in the hangar.

.....your wife offers to help sand the micro on the wheel pants.

You look at the shaver dust in the sink and realize it is now the color of the dust around your scotchbrite buffer.

Someone (w/flying rv) needs to collect these comments and write a "book"

you might be...

If your wife or worse kids yell an obscenity because they stepped on rivets you dropped in the house!

Your friends complement you on the new carpet with silver metallic threads, when it is just the shavings you tracked in making it sparkle.

Just reviving an old, but great thread:

...you start another RV project, before you've even finished the first one! :D

3 moves

Your airplane has 2500 miles on it and hasn't flown yet.

3 military moves. No damage!

Pushing the odds

Bugsy,

I understand the military move part... but you should complete your build or retire very soon because my experience says you are pressing your luck!

Just joking...good for you!

Don

... you see all these people wearing "Vans" t-shirts and think, wow, there are a lot of people who are RV enthusiasts!

Still working on it...

I've only got 1700 miles on mine so far... but it's only about 1/3 complete. Guess I'd better move it around a little more so I can get it done!

Roger Pierce
RV-10 (Slow building QB Fuse)
Broken Arrow, OK

RV Moves

3 military moves. No damage!

I bought an RV untouched quick build in Wyoming. It now has around 2000+ miles on it from Oregon to Wyoming and back to Olympia, WA. Hope to see it fly that distance in one day this coming year.

You might be an RV builder if...

Your wife sees your build budget triple the original estimate and still wants to stay married to you. :D

You are a RV builder if . .

On Christmas morning you are the first one awake and turn the Christmas tree lights on only to see where you left your iPad so you can read the posts on VAF.

Back