What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Eleven Minutes Away by RV?.

Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
Alpine County Airport (M45) is just a hop skip and an RV-jump away from our new home site here in Dayton valley, NV. Just across the border in California, it is just a couple of miles from Markleeville, but seems as remote as you can get. There is nothing but a long paved runway and a tie down area ? plus an unimproved camping area.

This is the view from the edge of the tie down pad:
P1000099.JPG

A fifteen minute downhill bushwhack will take you to a trail heading down a dry riverbed:
P1000102.JPG

Another fifteen minutes of hiking will take you to the payoff ? a beautiful secluded stretch of the upper Carson River:
P1000111.JPG

Sure ? you can drive to the airport ? from our place it would probably be an hour and fifteen minutes. But with an RV magic carpet? In next to no time, you can be communing with the sky, rocks, and water!

Did we mention - there are empty lots at our new airpark?. :D

Paul,

Any idea what the trout fishing might be like in that creek? One of the primary reasons I have an RV is to expand my fishing and hunting possibilities. A fairly inaccessible western stream, sure seems ripe with possibilities.

Don, if you get out my way, you can land at my place. I can put you in a truck and point you at some streams across the road. My grandson did a 4 trout grand slam in one hole on the East Fork.

What do the lots cost?

My wife and I used to live on the south shore of Lake Tahoe. We really miss that place, but it's expensive to set up shop there. This could be a really nice alternative place to retire, while remaining close to the Lake. Also, what would you estimate a person could build a 3B/2BA + 50'x50' for there???

Signed,

"Planning Ahead" :D

Nice photos Paul. My wife and I love hiking, I think we have a new weekend trip to plan. Thanks.

Paul,

Any idea what the trout fishing might be like in that creek? One of the primary reasons I have an RV is to expand my fishing and hunting possibilities. A fairly inaccessible western stream, sure seems ripe with possibilities.

I grew up trout fishing with my Dad, but haven't wet a line in 30 years - yet as I was standing there by the Carson, looking at the water, I couldn't help but wish for a rod to see what was hiding in the pools and shoals....

My wife and I used to live on the south shore of Lake Tahoe. We really miss that place, but it's expensive to set up shop there. This could be a really nice alternative place to retire, while remaining close to the Lake. Also, what would you estimate a person could build a 3B/2BA + 50'x50' for there???

All of the existing lots have been purchased at least once, and some are actively for sale, some - well "everything has a price". I think one just sold in the mid-40's, and there are three that are stubbornly for sale for $165K ("that's our price, and we'll die before we come down!"). There is one I know is in the $80's.

House construction depends on what you want, of course, but we're looking at about $150/sq ft for the house. Hangars are expensive because they have to match the exterior of the house - no tin sheds - so about $50/ sq ft.

The housing market is picking up - and so are the prices. Still WAY cheaper than Tahoe though.

Nice photos Paul. My wife and I love hiking, I think we have a new weekend trip to plan. Thanks.

I am thinking that once we get things squared away, we'll start announcing RV camping weekends at Alpine - see who wants to join us! That's how Petit Jean got started back east.

I'd be in for some camping, looks like a great area. I too have been away from fishing for many years, but that looks like it has some possibilities. Nothing better than fresh trout by the campfire...

I'm going to have to run up there for a recon mission before the snow flys.

Paul,

Thanks for the heads up on the lots. My family isn't ready to move yet (plane's not done), but we'll keep it in mind. Once my 10 is done, we'd definitely be down for some airplane camping.

Paul,
thank you for doing the recon. I had been eye balling that airstrip passing by and meaning to land, but just hadn't gotten to it. With the beautiful hike there I think I will soon.

Lookin' good! Alpine County was on my GA airplane destination list this year for hiking and fishing with my daughter but we'll have to hit it next year. Flown over it many many times while ridge bashing in the high Sierra... there are other nice little gems near by too.

What kind of tie downs are there? Chain? Rope?

Hey neiborhood, interesting story about that strip in the hills, my story, flew in the 80s stopped for raising a family, then got back into the flying thing a couple of years ago, for my bi decade flight review, that was where I did my first landing after 23 years.

Alpine County Airport (M45) is just a hop skip and an RV-jump away from our new home site here in Dayton valley, NV. Just across the border in California, it is just a couple of miles from Markleeville, but seems as remote as you can get. There is nothing but a long paved runway and a tie down area – plus an unimproved camping area.

Very different then a 15 minute hop by RV to the east of your Dayton Valley house. Just spent the last 4 days in Fallon and into the Dixie Valley. Nothing green growing there and not a tree to be seen for 50 miles in any direction. Love the diversity that the good old USA has.

Back