What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

We Have a Hangar Slab!

Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
IMG_2210.JPG

That should hold at least three RV's (and a future project to be named later), don't ya' think? ;)

For all our RV friends looking for a place to retire, note the open lots surrounding our new project at Dayton Valley Airpark (A34). No income taxes, reasonable property taxes - and Lake Tahoe is 8 minutes away by RV!

That asphalt at the top of the picture isn't the runway - it's the parallel - the runway is 75' wide....:cool:

Nice Paul! I flew up in August to check A34 out. I was wondering if the framed house was yours. I need to get my wife up there to check out the area. No future in retiring in CA.

Nice Paul! I flew up in August to check A34 out. I was wondering if the framed house was yours. I need to get my wife up there to check out the area. No future in retiring in CA.

Yup - Reno/Carson is, for all intents and purposes (and proximity to cool stuff) California. But it isn't IN California for tax and regulatory purposes.....worth looking in to Tom!

That is a lot of house for two people and a couple dogs:D

It looks like the hangar door will be off to the right side of the slap, away from the house??

Good going, glad you got the hangar construction glitches all straightened out.

That is a lot of house for two people and a couple dogs:D

It looks like the hangar door will be off to the right side of the slap, away from the house??

Good going, glad you got the hangar construction glitches all straightened out.

Well, we hope to entertain aviation friends! Not sure who the dogs are goign to entertain....:rolleyes:

Hangar door is actually toward the trailer - we turn a 90 to exit the west side of the property to a stub taxiway. That is to avoid the hangar door pointing into the strong prevailing winds.

Hmmm, does this meet the formula for airpark homes?

Hangar SF = 2 x Home SF. :):):)

Mrtin Sutter
Building and flying RV's since 1988
EAA Technical Councelor.

No grass to mow. What deal!

Very nice looking set up - it would not be surprising to see another airplane birth in the future.

Congrats on the move, isn't Burt Rutan relocated in that part of the country?

looking good! in Gardnerville we see 70 MPH winds out of the S SE often in the winter. And 140 MPH over ridgetops!

Hmmm, does this meet the formula for airpark homes?

Hangar SF = 2 x Home SF. :):):)

Martin Sutter

Yeah, a bit embarrassing. :eek: But, we hope to someday have the funds to build another hangar on the right side (another reason for not putting the hangar door on the west) and improve our ratio. No plans to expand the house.

I was a bit shocked this morning to see how large the house looks, but a lot of that "floor space" is actually a 2-story great room.

It's looking so real!

Very Sweet

My dream too. I have a place in Arizon for retirement and hope to grow a hangar there in the future. Size you are building seems a good but always err on being big. My experience in aviation over the last 33 years is that the hangar is the only thing that actually increases in value.

Why?

I say this with all due respect, you spent allot of money on a dwelling that for living and the environment doesn't work...its a complex 2 story design when you only need 1 level, it doesn't passively heat and cool well, every corner and angle you put into the place costs money and wasted effort for aesthetics? we spend most of our time indoors and not looking at the house so really... who cares...if you wanted a funky design why not build a place all under one roof and when viewed form the top its the same shape as looking at an RV!...hangar on the right, house on the left, parking under the fuse and tail...can I design your next house?...

Really? You can tell all that from the exterior design? We paid lots of attention to environmental design to work with the area and I honestly expect our HVAC bills to plummet over our box-shaped, one-story house in Houston. Want to make a bet? You'll certainly lose.

We paid for the views and views and extreme functionality for our purposes is what we designed to get. We paid almost no attention to how it would look on the outside as that wasn't our concern. You can design your house to look "right" from the outside (and I will not criticize your lack of internal functionality for my lifestyle) but I will build my house for excellent cross-ventilation, passive (and, hopefully, some day active) solar heating, superb views, minimal wasted floor space, an enclosed patio to enjoy the outside on super windy days (you may mostly live inside but we don't!), entertainment flow, and functionality.

I might add that the word used to describe our design by contractors bidding on the building and others was "efficient". Of course, they were actually seeing the plans and not making assumptions based on outside and aerial views.

Oh, and if you know about the international building code that has been adopted by the State of Nevada, you would understand why two civil servants on a modest budget couldn't attach the hangar to the house. We made lots of compromises because we are very budget-driven.

Last edited:
Louise,

To start with a fresh canvas these days is very enviable.

Even in the UK, I have a 4kW PV in the paddock - I made 4,200KWh last year.

We don't have the need for air con and our heating is by electric storage heaters charged overnight.

I wish we had a wet system - I would have a ground source system in a flash. 1 KW in yields 4KW out at present.

We do have an oil fired cooking stove, an AGA which is about to be converted to electric to marry up with the PV in the day and cheap overnight electricity.

Our house was built in 1780, however 75% was rebuilt in the 1970's so we get a period building to relatively modern code and insulation. Argon filled gold glass double glazing etc etc.

The workshop has oil fired central heating, as does Andrea's studio above - it doesn't need to run very often as it is well insulated with Tri Iso multi layer metallised insulation. Only problem is, your cellphone dies when you go inside......

It sounds like you have put a lot of thought into the property and I bet it offers a superb residence for what you desire, in the location you are in - which is v nice btw. Would prefer a little more green, but hey - drive an hour and you have as much as you want - eh ?

Oh and you don't have a 30 min drive to your fleet of airplanes ;)

So.....

So, your going to have 2 toy boxes?? Nice, need to come see you guys. Only talked through email some time back when you were in the planning stages and building T-Sam.
Scene both the 8 & 3 from the ground on Final for 03 at the east end. I'm on the course side of the master project.
If I see you around the house I'll stop and formally introduce myself. Good to see the community is filling with RV's. That will put 6 on the airfield with your 3 and a few in the area building.

Welcome! :)

Congrats on the house/hangar. I dream to enjoy the same someday.

Incidentally, In looking at Google Earth to check out what is around your place, I looked at the Stagecoach Airport to the NE...

Is that an F-111 off the side of the runway in pieces?

Again, congrats. I would love to drop in and show my wife what a house/hangar would look like done right. (She's not quite convinced on the concept...yet! :) )

Awesome

If I see you around the house I'll stop and formally introduce myself. Good to see the community is filling with RV's. That will put 6 on the airfield with your 3 and a few in the area building.

Welcome! :)

Hey Bruce - if the white Four-Runner is parked on the lot, I'm there - come knock on the trailer door - would love to meet you.

Paul

Nice!

Say What :confused:?

Hey Paul and Louse, I love everything about it :). I think if I ever get caught up and get the kids settled I'll talk my wife into moving in right next door and building a 'twin' to your house :D:D.

Enjoy the build as it's very exciting, of course you already know that :).

Congrats and good luck!!

I say this with all due respect, you spent allot of money on a dwelling that for living and the environment doesn't work...its a complex 2 story design when you only need 1 level, it doesn't passively heat and cool well, every corner and angle you put into the place costs money and wasted effort for aesthetics? we spend most of our time indoors and not looking at the house so really... who cares...if you wanted a funky design why not build a place all under one roof and when viewed form the top its the same shape as looking at an RV!...hangar on the right, house on the left, parking under the fuse and tail...can I design your next house?...

Last edited:
Hey Paul and Louse, I love everything about it :). I think if I ever get caught up and get the kids settled I'll talk my wife into moving in right next door and building a 'twin' to your house :D:D.

Rick, I think you would definitely need a much larger hangar! Something like Martin's ratio. But, we'd love to have you as a neighbor.

Looks great Paul and Louise! It's really moving along! And tons of "RV Parking" inside and out...which you will need when us locals "green light" you on a regular basis! ;) (You do know what that means, right? :p)

Really nice...can't wait to see it in person!

Cheers,
Bob

Really? You can tell all that from the exterior design? We paid lots of attention to environmental design to work with the area and I honestly expect our HVAC bills to plummet over our box-shaped, one-story house in Houston. Want to make a bet? You'll certainly lose.

We paid for the views and views and extreme functionality for our purposes is what we designed to get. We paid almost no attention to how it would look on the outside as that wasn't our concern. You can design your house to look "right" from the outside (and I will not criticize your lack of internal functionality for my lifestyle) but I will build my house for excellent cross-ventilation, passive (and, hopefully, some day active) solar heating, superb views, minimal wasted floor space, an enclosed patio to enjoy the outside on super windy days (you may mostly live inside but we don't!), entertainment flow, and functionality.

I might add that the word used to describe our design by contractors bidding on the building and others was "efficient". Of course, they were actually seeing the plans and not making assumptions based on outside and aerial views.

Oh, and if you know about the international building code that has been adopted by the State of Nevada, you would understand why two civil servants on a modest budget couldn't attach the hangar to the house. We made lots of compromises because we are very budget-driven.

Hi Louise, I don't wish to pick a "bun fight" here however most times you can pick an energy/ design and cost disaster from doing a drive by believe it or not...there is more however....if we consider materials, effort, cost, design, energy etc you can design by numbers... I guess I was surprised at the aerial...the way I see it is its a complex roof and wall design when in fact one roof could do it all, you have how much land area?...and you build a 2 story house?....I don't see and trench's or bore holes for a ground source heat pumps, no PV, no solar hot water..to be fair its not finished....I guess the way I see it is as you say 2 modest incomes, can't afford a bigger hangar or hope to build a second one one day, 2 people plus dogs....I just expected something very different...I know nothing about international building codes, here however in Australia you can have your hangar and house in one...I mean why would you have a separate structure?...anyway its a wonderful thing to build your own place the way you want it and I'd never take that away from anyone. Me..I would have built one big hangar and a house in one end....120K water tank, stand alone PV, steel structure and straw bale infill, ground insulated, wind generator, biocycle septic, ground source heat pump, no energy bills, "less is more"....I should add I have been an electrical contractor for 30 years and worked on thousands of houses....99% of them are energy disasters that people pay for the rest of their lives, if you stood back and took a "completely unemotional" look from the outside and asked the question "is it fit for purpose"? did we maximise "all" aspects of energy efficiency, materials, costs and design?...I'll leave you to contemplate the measure, its non of my business...

Hmmm, does this meet the formula for airpark homes? Hangar SF = 2 x Home SF.

That's pretty close. I used Hangar footprint = 2X home footprint. :D

Bruce - in the USA you can build the house and hangar all-in-one and I probably built something close to what you describe. (You can read about it here.)There is one huge problem with my implementation, it has no "comparables" and thus was nearly impossible to get a mortgage. The less a house looks like a house the less options there are for financing.

Paul & Louise - other than the building site looking like a building site :) at the moment, your going to have one lovely RV hotel ... and perhaps a busy one !

Last edited:
Attached home/hangar may be thing of the past

Bruce - in the USA you can build the house and hangar all-in-one and I probably built something close to what you describe.

Glen,
Apparently the current international building code, which our county (and/or state?) adopted, requires a fire suppression (i.e., sprinkler) system for the entire building if it has more than 5000 contiguous sf. Since our HOA requires that the house has a minimum 2000 sf footprint and we wanted a 3000 sf hangar (plus garage, of course), we would have had to put in such a sprinkler. At first, Paul was all for doing so as his fire fighter experience in Houston showed it to be a good idea. Then, we found out in an area with hard freezes, the system would cost on the order of $30k. That made our decision. The hangar had to be at least 30' (or, more likely, 10 m) from the house.

Brian Stewart,
Please take your opinions and suggestions on our home over to http://www.greenbuildingtalk.com/Forums.aspx or some similar forum site. I could easily go toe-to-toe with you on this issue but the VAF forum is certainly not the place for such discussion.

Louise - my total structure was over 5000' and while I did not require a sprinkler system, the "residence" did need to have isolation from the hangar space. That meant thicker walls with thicker Sheetrock and all "pass thrus" such as air ducts had to have automatic fire dampers, doors had to be steel, etc.

I love my home but in hindsight it would have been better to build two separate structures like you are doing. I'm looking forward to watching your progress (and finding out what that 'future build' will be ;))

Green light?

...which you will need when us locals "green light" you on a regular basis! ;) (You do know what that means, right? :p)

Hmm. I had to look it up and now I'm worried. :eek: Are we now targets of the local environmental design gang? :confused:

"Greenlight

The act of putting a hit out on a particular mark or on all members of a rival or seceding gang."

Paul and Louise----
Build the house and hangar YOU want, which you are, just like RV's. You guys earned the right to build it the way you want, not what others think.
We all know that it will suit your lifestyle, and thats whats important. Oh---and plenty of hangar space!!! LOL
Tom

Two are in

Back to the slab conversation, where did those hand crafted tie down anchors get installed?

I think Paul is still sleeping out on the West coast but he posted on his Facebook page that two were installed in the hangar floor for maintenance tie-downs. The others will go into the pad, whenever that pour takes place.

Hi Louise,
I like your house, I like your hangar, I like your plans for possible expansion, I like your selection of a place to live, I like the Val and the way Paul flies it, I like Mikey, and I like Tsam. I'd say you two know what you want and are able to fulfill those dreams.

Go for it!

Hmm. I had to look it up and now I'm worried. :eek: Are we now targets of the local environmental design gang? :confused:

"Greenlight

The act of putting a hit out on a particular mark or on all members of a rival or seceding gang."

Oh, no, no no...not that at all. :eek:

If you've been "green-lighted" (at least in the vernacular of the 80's Navy Fighter community), that means someone has called you and said "You've been green-lighted"...then called all of your friends, and said, "Green Light at Louise and Paul's"...and you've just been volunteered to host an impromptu party...for which all that "RV parking" will come in very handy! :D

Been a while since I've used the term, or heard it used...and the definition you found is outside of my sphere of knowledge...juuuust a bit outside! ;)

Cheers,
Bob

Me..I would have built one big hangar and a house in one end....

What you are describing is called a "Hangar Home" here in the United States Bruce, and they are fine options if you are looking for something totally utilitarian. They are also against the rules at many residential airparks like ours - that is important information for anyone who is considering building at Dayton Valley.

.... if you stood back and took a "completely unemotional" look from the outside and asked the question "is it fit for purpose"? did we maximise "all" aspects of energy efficiency, materials, costs and design?...I'll leave you to contemplate the measure, its non of my business...

And the answer would be "yes" in our case Bruce - it maximizes all of the trades that we have in place for OUR design criteria. Sorry it doesn't meet yours, but that isn't really important to us. And although this might disappoint you, emotions are part of design when it comes to esthetics, and so they go in to the mix as well. Seeing the sun rise over the Pine Nut Mountains from 10 feet above grade is an amazing sight - as is watching it set over Lake Tahoe - and you need to be elevated by one floor level to get that affect.

All of our VAF friends are invited to drop in - now or when the compound is complete!

Green light

Thanks for the clarification, Bob. Your definition sounds fun and we really look forward to entertaining. I guess we can now put the arsenal back in the safe. ;)

Hi Louise, I don't wish to pick a "bun fight" here however most times you can pick an energy/ design and cost disaster from doing a drive by believe it or not...there is more however....if we consider materials, effort, cost, design, energy etc you can design by numbers... I guess I was surprised at the aerial...the way I see it is its a complex roof and wall design when in fact one roof could do it all, you have how much land area?...and you build a 2 story house?....I don't see and trench's or bore holes for a ground source heat pumps, no PV, no solar hot water..to be fair its not finished....I guess the way I see it is as you say 2 modest incomes, can't afford a bigger hangar or hope to build a second one one day, 2 people plus dogs....I just expected something very different...I know nothing about international building codes, here however in Australia you can have your hangar and house in one...I mean why would you have a separate structure?...anyway its a wonderful thing to build your own place the way you want it and I'd never take that away from anyone. Me..I would have built one big hangar and a house in one end....120K water tank, stand alone PV, steel structure and straw bale infill, ground insulated, wind generator, biocycle septic, ground source heat pump, no energy bills, "less is more"....I should add I have been an electrical contractor for 30 years and worked on thousands of houses....99% of them are energy disasters that people pay for the rest of their lives, if you stood back and took a "completely unemotional" look from the outside and asked the question "is it fit for purpose"? did we maximise "all" aspects of energy efficiency, materials, costs and design?...I'll leave you to contemplate the measure, its non of my business...

You got it right at the end, it is none of your business.

You know if I posted about my new hangar floor being poured it would most likely be deleted as not "RV related" just saying. Nothing against the Dye's but attacking the poster regarding energy efficiency comments and subsequent posts doing the same seems to imply a double civility standard especially since it appears to be condoned.

You know if I posted about my new hangar floor being poured it would most likely be deleted as not "RV related" just saying. Nothing against the Dye's but attacking the poster regarding energy efficiency comments and subsequent posts doing the same seems to imply a double civility standard especially since it appears to be condoned.

Lordy. We sure have some party poopers in this group! It has been observed before that baby announcements, death announcements, wedding announcements, kid's military commissions announcements, and hangar floor announcements are technically off-topic but Doug has allowed them as a way to promote our community "family". Discussions of energy efficiency design is not in that category and I can't begin to see how you find a double-standard in trying to shut down that line of discussion.

I suppose it may be me and my current "non-essential" status, but there is an awful lot of unnecessary meanness going around right now. :(

Thanks for the post!

To me its RV related. and if it wasn't RV related to "me" I think I would have let it slide from a person who has been a HIGH contributor to this site - 9000+ posts...wow! 3 RV's :cool:

Keep on motivating us and sharing! :D

Back