What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Best fire ext mount for RV-7?

dsmithlib

I searched for previous threads and did not come up with good pics. Would like to see recommendations to mount 1.3# small halon extonguisher in an accessible spot on a 6/7.
thanks....

I mounted mine between the seats vertically. You just have to be careful not to interfere with the flap actuator.

I have a map box on the lower R side of my panel and mounted the extinguisher to the bottom of the map box (above the passenger's knees). Don't have a photo.

Greg

bonehead composites makes this, it is excellent and I have it:

http://www.boneheadcomposites.com/m8/712--Aircraft Fire Extinguisher Armrest .html

ARM%20REST.jpg400x400.jpg

Horizontal between the seats

Have mine in between the seats horizontally, fits tight but is accessible and out of the way in normal circumstances. Bracket is mounted to the small cover over the elevator linkage.

I searched for previous threads and did not come up with good pics. Would like to see recommendations to mount 1.3# small halon extonguisher in an accessible spot on a 6/7.
thanks....

Mine is mounted vertically between the seats. This is an optimum position, easy to access by both occupants and yet not obtrusive. As tkatc said, be careful that the bracket fasteners do not interfere with the flap actuator. You may need to use thin nuts.

What you probably should have done with your question was to append it to one of the former larger threads on the topic rather than start a new thread. The question would have gone something like this: "This thread has some good ideas on locating a fire extinguisher but can some-one post some photos". That would have resurrected the old thread and drawn a larger audience to it (members are drawn to larger threads with more hits because they rightly assume they must be more interesting). Therefore you would have got more responses and at the same time added further substance to a mainstream thread on the topic. :)

Most members do not understand that it is often advantageous to resurrect an old thread and add a question to it, rather than start a new thread on the same topic. ;)

Heres where mine lives.

FWIW Bob, I originally had mine between the seats as well, but it really didnt like sitting in direct sunlight.
I found it u/s at first annual :eek:
Hasnt dropped any weight in 2 more annuals since I moved it - and i do check it regularly now.
First thing the supplier said was"no direct sunlight". I figured it was easier to move it than remember to move it every time you leave the plane outside.
I believe that the metal valved extinguishers are far more reliable, but it was hard enough finding anyone to sell me one at all let alone exactly what I wanted.

Access obviously great for PIC, requires 2IC to loosen shoulder harness slightly.

Cheers

10x5zs1.jpg

Last edited:
Anyone tried on top of the fuelpump-cover?

That's where I'm considering. Any good reasons not to use that position?

Anyone tried on top of the fuelpump-cover?

That's where I'm considering. Any good reasons not to use that position?

Wherever it goes, for me the dictating factor has to be that the pilot can reach it and remove it for use in flight without having to undo or adjust his seat belt. If you have an inflight fire and you're doing a fast emergency landing, the last thing you want to be doing is messing around with your seat belt.

Placing it on the front of the spar wasn't an option for me because I have a 7A and the gear leg mount doesn't leave enough room for an extinguisher in that location.

Richards' point about not leaving the extinguisher in direct sunlight is a valid comment but I'm hopeful my Kroger sunshade will do the trick when I don't have the canopy cover on. :)

Last edited:
I mounted mine on the fuel pump cover.

FinishKit%20940.jpg

Similar positioning for mine. Link to image

However, I wanted to make a different point about the actual fire extenguisher itself. You can see the black plastic top to mine (via the image link), vs the metal top in Daryls image. GET THE METAL TOP. My plastic one pops off if I so much as LOOK at it sideways. :mad: The neck support in the bracket actually causes it to come off too. Annoying and obviously not good for quick use in emergency. POS :mad:

For those who want something other than Halon, here is an aqueous foam, non-toxic, and non-corrosive fire extinguisher. It is available with a mounting bracket too!

Each type has advantages and disadvantages.

The good: Halon requires no clean up. Foam is cheap, can be sprayed on your body parts if needed, stays in place longer, and is arguably more effective.

The bad: Halon can suffocate you and is expensive. Foam can freeze at low temps.

YMMV!

Back