What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

More Mancave Art - You're Going to Want One

f1rocket

Well Known Member
When I first saw the "see through" picture of the RV-14 on the front page, I immediately thought it would make a great picture for the hangar. Since I'm STILL waiting for my new kit to arrive, I decided to tackle the last remaining blank space on my hangar wall.

First thing I did was to review the copyright statement on Van's website to make sure I wouldn't violate any copyright if I copied it and turned it into a poster. No problem there as long as I don't sell them. So I downloaded the file and sent it off to these folks to have them "posterize" the print. (www.posterprintshop.com) I ordered the print in roughly a 40" by 30" size. In a couple of days, it arrived and looked fantastic. Then the fun began.

Rather than just hang it as is, I decided to fabricate a frame that looked like aluminum airplane parts in keeping with the theme of the picture. Here's how it turned out.

mancave11.jpg
mancave13.jpg

I built a wood frame and then covered it with aluminum sheet that I bent to shape. I used whatever pop rivets I had handy and then sanded the frame to give it a rough look. Finally, I clearcoated it. Here's a picture to provide some size reference. I painted the background because the picture really didn't stand out on my white walls so I needed a contrast.

mancave12.jpg
mancave14.jpg

I coined the phrase "AirCraftsMan" that combines the words aircraft and craftsman, which I think accurately describes what we all are.

Drop me a note if you'd like any additional details.

Very nice work, as always!

BTW, how do you find the time for your day job when you're always making the rest of us look like sloths !? :)

Very nice work, as always!

BTW, how do you find the time for your day job when you're always making the rest of us look like sloths !? :)

I retired Jan 8th of this year so I have all this time on my hands while I wait for the -12 kit to get here.

Hoping

That someone will produce a similar rendition for an RV-12. Over 700 tail kits sold - I expect that whomever produces similar artwork for the 12 will prosper. I would like mine to be about 36" by 24" so that it will standout in my garage.:cool:

Great idea. I may try to build a frame with all of my "screw up parts". I may have enough parts to build a new plane!!!!!:eek:

Back