What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Finding your comfort zone.

pierre smith

Well Known Member
Picture the scenario:

100 miles over open ocean in a single engine homebuilt shortly after departure.

Green and yellow bands of rain shortly after departure.

Endure this condition for an hour or more, IFR, while climbing and taking clearances over the radio.

Three trusting passengers whose lives you're responsible for!

Over the years, I've ferried many Cessna Agwagons the 1,000 miles from Wichita home and penetrated layers up and down with nothing but an airspeed, altimeter and turn coordinator....more on this very underestimated little instrument...a life saver potentially.

I asked a captain of a regional airline what he thought about the bands of green and yellow and in his opinion, not hard enough to remove any paint but hard enough to hear....hmmmm., what to do?

OK...the three dangers in flying told to me by an old, wise pilot:

Nighttime
Bad weather
Low fuel...and as long as you never get any TWO conditions simultaneously, you can handle any one of them fairly well.

So, we have not-so-good weather, but daytime and lotsa fuel and many options...as in a 180 degree turn. I also have a retired Navy carrier pilot in the right seat, with supersonic time, most night carrier landings in his squadron and none of us has a hangover...the previous night's cautionary habit.

We blast off and turn north, as instructed and soon enter low lying layers and quickly become solid IMC with light rain. I turn on the ADI 2, on "Track" mode, wings level and we were already trimmed for a 145 MPH cruise climb, so at this point we merely monitor as I lean while climbing to our assigned 8,000'.

Nevertheless, my hearbeat was higher because I don't do this very often and thoughts of a huge ocean underneath remain.

Everything was smooth and the rain varied between hearing it on the windshield to soft and comforting..if that's the correct term:)

I can't over-emphasize the value of a good autopilot because it made this part of the trip a literal piece-of-cake, as we marched along, in and out of clouds and rain....it seemed like days before we started seeing bits of earth and lighter-colored layers, finally comfortable VFR on top near the Florida/Georgia line. In Georgia, the last bit of cloud disappeared and we were in smooth air, severe clear and I had an opportunity to demonstrate LOP operations and the results to my carrier friend:)

This was another lesson for me as I took one more bite of the elephant...the way you too, should approach flying in increasingly deteriorating weather on your new IFR ticket...eat the elephant one bite at a time, cautiously and with careful planning. We knew in advance that better weather awaited. I'd much rather do this than vice-versa. Besides, the 496 showed all the precip and we were allowed to deviate a little into the lighter spots.

We were also sitting behind an Aerosport IO-540, that had been humming dependably for the last three years that I've owned it, with zero malfunction...no auto-conversions in this kind of scenario for me. YMMV.

Best,

Last edited:
Excellent write-up Pierre. The greatest attraction of aviating to me is the constant room to learn more and grow in knowledge. There are many lessons for us to learn of simply moving a craft through the air. Instrument rating is next on the list. It's really a must have in order to completely rely on the aircraft for travel. Thanks for that reminder.

Yep

We live in one of the biggest countries on earth and these 200 MPH machines can take us far from home in a short time and this time of year has so many rainy frontal systems that an instrument rating, plus a well-equipped airplane (D100/120, backup Alt/AS, 430W, SL-30, 496 w XM WX, ADI II). allows this capability.

Dash-10.jpg

Best,

My rules of engagement are like yours.

You are normal, rational and safe.

Just be careful of that guy in the right seat, he might see a postage stamp in the dark of night and want to do something really dumb.......land on it!:eek:

Excellent post, Pierre. Good, conservative, logical decision making. Does not get any better than that IMHO.

We are off to KEYW Wednesday to meet some friends for a few days. Your trip write up has put me in the mood!

Picture the scenario:
We were also sitting behind an Aerosport IO-540, that had been humming dependably for the last three years that I've owned it, with zero malfunction...no auto-conversions in this kind of scenario for me. YMMV.
Best,
Oooh what a low blow Pierre, perhaps you need to get a different brand of automobile? ;)
I sure enjoyed your narrative of the trip, thanks for sharing that with all of us.

No low blow

Oooh what a low blow Pierre, perhaps you need to get a different brand of automobile? ;)
I sure enjoyed your narrative of the trip, thanks for sharing that with all of us.

Don, that's why I ended with "YMMV".

I've been flying since 1969 and have seen corvairs, VW's, Chevy V-6's and inline 4 cylinder Fords and a Chevy LS engine in an RV-10, plus a few rotary-powered airplanes, but the safest, lowest maintenace engine remains the Lyc.

My comfort zone includes not crossing large bodies of water, in bad weather, with an automotive engine. Day VFR over the airport in one...whole 'nuther story.

Get your -12 done and repeat the same trip with a story for us:D

Best,

Best,

Note to poster #2 and all: I would remove the idea of "completely rely on the airplane for travel" from the thought process. There are times when neither the airlines nor your RV should be launching.

Gil, IMO, it's easier and safer to be climbing in the soup than to make an approach down into and through the 'stuff', because gravity and the earth beckons. In our case, the weather also became better and better the further we went, until CAVU conditions arrived.

Airline and corporate pilots make approaches to minimums routinely, with qualified co-pilots...we do it only occasionally, so I limit my ceilings to around 600-700', not the minimums of 200-250', that most ILS and LPV approaches allow.

Best,

I'd add, be careful about ceilings but even more careful about low visibilities.
It's one thing to pop below a ceiling at 205' AGL and see the entire airport; it's quite another to get there and see nothing but the approach lights.

I'd add, be careful about ceilings but even more careful about low visibilities.
It's one thing to pop below a ceiling at 205' AGL and see the entire airport; it's quite another to get there and see nothing but the approach lights.

I think that deserves bigger font.

Post of the year (POTY) candidate right there!

Seeing only approach lights works for me, but I have hundreds of approaches like that under my belt. Personal minimums are great. These days I am only interested in flying in those conditions in a twin. I also fly to the standards of part 135, where I don't even attempt the approach if the visibility is reported less than 1/2 mile. Reported ceilings don't matter that much, at least on a ILS, it's all about the visibility.

IFR in a single engine for me nowadays pretty much means busting through layers, with VFR conditions below!

I would add that discipline to any minimums is just as, if not more important. If I get to the DH or the MAP without the runway environment in sight, I initiate an immediate missed approach, and start for my alternate. Never a thought of trying again, or cheating. That's where the accidents happen.

Last edited:
Back