What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

CAD Model

jsharkey

Well Known Member
Has anyone created a 3D CAD model of an RV6 - or any RV for that matter - that could be used to try out paint schemes for example?

I'm sure the factory have really detailed ones - I'm just looking for the exterior surfaces in IGES, STEP or parasolids format.

Perhaps I'll try one from scratch on Solidworks :)

Jim Sharkey

I used windows paint on the three view from vans

I could send you my file if you like it will give you an idea of the way I did it. It's very simple and works fine. Using paint is very simple though to do certain things it can get a little tedious, but its free. I kept playing with it till I got it looking liked I wanted. I also did my wiring diagrams in paint.

Solidworks

Hi Jim

I've been working sporadically on an RV-8 model in SW2006. I'm happy to share the files with you on a collaborative basis. I haven't done much on it for a while, but I've got it this far:

rv-8assembly.jpg

As you can see, I'm still learning about lofting for the cowling...

It's modelled full size and based on scans of the preview plans set.

Solidworks 2008

I've dinked around with this a little developing an RV7 model. I am an ME and use Solidworks and Pro/E but dont do much surface modeling so this is a new skill for me. If you look close, its not quite right in some areas, namely the cowling. I have a whole new respect for guys that do this for a living...it was quite a bit of work to get it to this point. But I did it just to develop my modeling skills in my personal time and play around with paint schemes so it didnt have to be perfect, not doing CFD with it so it serves its purpose.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_MvCfSKLPkO4/SsDYFKjlv0I/AAAAAAAABrM/F_DMuFu2c2c/s800/rv-7%20assembly-11.jpg

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_MvCfSKLPkO4/SsDYFrZsa8I/AAAAAAAABrQ/IhJYtyMc9VI/s800/rv-7%20assembly-12.jpg

Last edited:
I haven't played with SketchUp, but I would wonder whether it's capable of the lofting required for cowlings and wingtips etc. I don't know for certain.

A decent 3D model of the outside surface would be great. Just think of the renderings one could do. Anyone know what software Van's uses? I assume SW, but I've never seen discussion of it. In Pro, we have a "shrinkwrap" function that we've used to output top level assemblies to Alias, etc. I wonder if there is such a possibility with Van's...

...learning how to post pics...

I've dinked around with this a little developing an RV7 model. I am an ME and use Solidworks and Pro/E but dont do much surface modeling so this is a new skill for me. If you look close, its not quite right in some areas, namely the cowling. I have a whole new respect for guys that do this for a living...it was quite a bit of work to get it to this point. But I did it just to develop my modeling skills in my personal time and play around with paint schemes so it didnt have to be perfect, not doing CFD with it so it serves its purpose.

rv-7%20assembly-11.jpg

rv-7%20assembly-12.jpg

A decent 3D model of the outside surface would be great. Just think of the renderings one could do. Anyone know what software Van's uses? I assume SW, but I've never seen discussion of it. In Pro, we have a "shrinkwrap" function that we've used to output top level assemblies to Alias, etc. I wonder if there is such a possibility with Van's...

I think they use Autocad Inventor - but not sure.

how aabout Baytower?

Obviously the guy who made the flight sim models has a great cad model of the -7 at least....maybe he's be willing to release a basic version for paint purposes? heck, you could even do uphostery options and panel layouts!!!
...you can buy the flight sim for $40, so that's not bad!

http://www.baytower.ca/index.htm

Obviously the guy who made the flight sim models has a great cad model of the -7 at least....maybe he's be willing to release a basic version for paint purposes? heck, you could even do uphostery options and panel layouts!!!
...you can buy the flight sim for $40, so that's not bad!

http://www.baytower.ca/index.htm

I looked all over that site and can't find an email address for the guy. I'd love to ask him if he could make a simple 3D solid from his model that we could import to Solidworks or some other 3D cad program, but i'm not interested in signing up on his forum just to do that.

contact info

Hey Rob,
I am a 'member', so tried an e-mail to Daniel a few days ago, but so far no response.

if you want to try a more specific inquiry, since I am not solidworks literate, perhaps he can speak to that....seems like he's an RV nut like the rest of us, as evidenced by the zillion hours he spent on his sim model!!!

Daniel Maher [email protected]

Back