What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Finally brought the 7A home

60av8tor

Well Known Member
Glad to say I finally got the 7A home. I picked it up several weeks ago, but immediately dropped it off next door to have some landing/taxi lights installed.

The trip began with a very early road trip down to Florida in the rental. Looks like a great day for flying:

e8011b3f636f88015c8afc1d263711e0.jpg

Got dropped off at the airport. After a little wait, the plane was finished up and waiting to depart:

32ecc7cd1daf2f4196ab1639ee9bd82c.jpg

I'm pretty sure I had enough GPSs/moving maps! Even so, I still used the iPad due to my comfort level and familiarity with the software. I have to use all the others a while before the button pushing becomes second nature - even though reading the Skyview, iFly, and 496 manuals, and using the 430 simulator helped a lot:

ddc8a73a8ec8ce0e9ad2b314c79481e5.jpg

Doesn't get much clearer:

40a8c1a5c60657ae256d7ef29343098a.jpg

e7c64cceedfe4be125ea50066f5f5ac1.jpg

A little under 2 hours later and the maiden voyage is history. Can't wait to learn the airplane and build my proficiency in it:

4f8f63b1dad59f09d2f861dda7084f9c.jpg

Congrats

Jon,
Congratulations, beautiful airplane! You are going to have a blast flying her :)

I did similar 11 weeks ago travelling from Phoenix to Columbus Georgia to pickup my magic carpet -7A and fly back to Phoenix (12.5hrs). One of my first priorities was to add lights as well, LED Landing/Taxi and position lights but I've been having too much fun flying to have it out of commission to install; love the idea of having lights to extend utility though.

I now have two awesome ladies in my life: it was my wife's idea to buy the airplane and she just sprung for pair of Bose A20s... how does it get any better?? :D

Congratulations

Jon,
Congratulations, I have ridden in the RV7A before when visiting in H.W. FL. It?s a great RV7A and fast. Enjoy your new ride. Also thanks for your Service to our great Country...

Chocking

FWIW, Chocking a castering nose wheel is not a good thing, sure way to break the stops. Better to chock the two mains. Have a great time in your new "7" and be safe.

FWIW, Chocking a castering nose wheel is not a good thing, sure way to break the stops. Better to chock the two mains. Have a great time in your new "7" and be safe.

That's a new one on me, but I appreciate the info - please explain more. The PVC has very little friction against the ground and doesn't prevent side to side movement - only fore/aft rolling.

Back