What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Springs fully compressed on Vetterman exhaust?

alpinelakespilot2000

Well Known Member
The instructions that came with my Vetterman exhaust indicate that about three threads should show on the bolts that hold the tailpipes on. However, tightening them up that much pretty much fully compresses the spring. Is that how it's supposed to work?

20qnxjl.jpg

Am really down to the final (double and triple) checks now!

Yep, mine too ....

... look about the same. I decided to tighten the nuts to something "reasonable", rather than get all uptight about 3 threads exposed. Seemed to me that having a little compression room in the spring with, say, 2 threads exposed would be just fine.

Push the tailpipe hard into the ball socket and move it around a little to make sure its fully seated and swage it a tiny bit. Next, tap the flanges a bit with a flat punch. This may close your gap a little bit. Springs that are fully compressed can break from heat expansion. Although in this case, the ears will probably just bend a bit giving more spring relief. Use some nickel anti-seize on the ball joint and the bolt threads for sure. A well hung pipe is a happy pipe.

Back