What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Blue Angels visit Houston Eagle's Nest Project

Special Delivery

Well Known Member
The Blue Angels are in Houston this weekend for the "Wings Over Houston" airshow and as a public service they addressed the student body at Clear Springs High School in League City, TX, with a slideshow and a powerful message; "Find your passion, work hard, don't let anyone tell you that you can't or won't succeed, and follow your dream". Following the student body presentation, Capt. T.J. Harrell and other team members visited Mr. Elder's PLTW Aerospace Engineering class to see their Eagle's Nest Project first-hand. Mr. Elder's 2nd and 7th period classes are building a full-size 2-place airplane (Van's Aircraft RV-12) under the Eagle's Nest program, a unique education program sponsored by Friends of the RV-1, Inc /Eagle's Nest Projects.

_DSC7049x1_zpsl92yc9qu.jpg

Last edited:
Things like this go so far beyond my wildest dreams for Eagle's Nest Projects. Ernie and I shared this vision of making aviation a part of a rich and full life, and seeing support from such a group as the Blue Angels is very gratifying. We have enjoyed support from you here at VAF, and now from the corporate community and those of high visibility in the aviation community. There is a future for general aviation!

Ernie has taken our initial start another step, that of making this an accredited part of the school curriculum. Consider working with (or even starting) an Eagle's Nest Project in your community. We are actively looking for small groups of individuals to purchase kits and have them built in local schools, creating flying clubs. This effort is not lost on our national organization.

In a side note, Eagle's Nest One is now being used for flight instruction, making a pilot's license a possibility for many students who couldn't normally afford it. That is another good feeling...

Bob

Fantastic!

What a great opportunity for these students! And what better publicity for the Eagle's Nest Project! Way to go!

Eagle's Nest Students watch Blue Angels demonstration

The "Wings Over Houston" air show is now in the history books and true to form it was a spectacular event. Many of the Eagle's Nest students from Clear Springs HS attended the show and were VERY impressed with the discipline and precision of the Blue Angels flight demonstration. It's one thing to have celebrities stop in to visit your project, it's quite another to witness WHY they are celebrities - inspiring, to say the least! I'm looking forward to our Monday work session... should hear some very interesting comments!

Last edited:
The combination is hard to beat.

The "Wings Over Houston" air show is now in the history books, and true to form it was a spectacular event. Many of the Eagle's Nest students from Clear Springs HS attended the show and were VERY impressed with the discipline and precision of the Blue Angels flight demonstration. It's one thing to have celebrities stop in to visit your project, it's quite another to see WHY they are celebrities... inspiring, to say the least! I'm looking forward to our Monday work session... should hear some very interesting comments!

When I was in high school around 60 years ago we had a fellow named Rev. Bob Richards visit our high school (Point Loma in San Diego). I never saw him hoist a pole but I have never forgotten that electrifying experience. Seeing and hearing the person communicate with you works at a deeper level I think but you are right of course - you have to respect the person.

Bob Axsom

Truly awesome! Like someone said above, these kids will never forget this experience. This is really outstanding work!

I'm sure this kind of success wasn't originally envisioned, which is one of the cool things about dreams - they usually exceed expectations.

Back