What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Moving Day!

Don Jones

Well Known Member
Yesterday was the big day. After spending the last few weeks painting the fuselage, it was time to get it out of my way, so off to the airport it went to join up with the canopy and some of the other already painted parts. Painting the tail stuff now, then will get the wings done. Looks like I might actually finish this thing sometime soon.

movesm.jpg

move1sm.jpg

paintedsm.jpg

more pictures here

Beautiful job with the cowl. And awesome job with the paint. If you had to do it again....would you paint yourself?

Beautiful job with the cowl. And awesome job with the paint. If you had to do it again....would you paint yourself?

Yes, I would do it again. I would change a few things about the materials used, but all in all I would do it again.

Edit: What am I saying???? I am still doing it, lol

Last edited:
Yes, I would do it again. I would change a few things about the materials used, but all in all I would do it again.

Don, I, too, have been sitting here really admiring your work on the paint job. Nice work! I've been contemplating painting mine before assembly as well, as you have done. Could you elaborate a bit more for us? What materials did you use, and what would you do differently?

Thanks!

Don, I, too, have been sitting here really admiring your work on the paint job. Nice work! I've been contemplating painting mine before assembly as well, as you have done. Could you elaborate a bit more for us? What materials did you use, and what would you do differently?

Thanks!

Bruce, I am using Valspar basecoat/clearcoat system with their epoxy primer. I love the paint, it's pretty easy to work with and has a pretty quick learning curve. The only change I would make is the color of the primer. I am using white since the airplane is more white than red and find I have to be really careful covering it with red to make sure I don't have any light spots. I wish I had the primer tinted red now since the white has no problem covering since it's a solid color rather than metallic.
The only other thing I would change and may change still before it's over is increasing the ventilation of the booth. The fan I am using pulls 1600 cfm and it ain't enough. It should be changing the air in the booth every minute......NOT! When the clear is going on it's low IFR in the booth, lol.

Thanks for the compliments everyone. It is definately not a professional paint job, but it will fly fine. I had a really cool scheme picked out and when I started taping it out on the fuse, I bailed out on it and went basic. I decided I wanted to be flying, NOT Painting!:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Don what a great looking paint scheme! I wish I had your skills and opportunity. See you in 2014 and we go to Spaceport America as a flight. :)

Don what a great looking paint scheme! I wish I had your skills and opportunity. See you in 2014 and we go to Spaceport America as a flight. :)

That's a deal! If we can get the czars of airspace to let a russian in:D

Don, the Russian's English isn't so good. What he meant to say is "do you have any paint left over and how long will your paint booth be operational?"

Back