What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Which overhead console?

Greenley

Well Known Member
Looking at an overhead console for my 10 project, any thoughts on the aerosport overhead console($995) versus the one from Stein($625)? Also, any thoughts on which lights and vents to use?

Finally starting the fuselage :)

Looking at an overhead console for my 10 project, any thoughts on the aerosport overhead console($995) versus the one from Stein($625)? Also, any thoughts on which lights and vents to use?

Finally starting the fuselage :)

Stein sells the Aerosport overhead. If he is selling at that price, the decision is easy.

I just made a small fiberglass conduit for com 2 antenna on top with dimmable led strips on either side. I get plenty of air through the big Stein vents in flight and cracked door on the ground. It only takes 10 minutes to get the a/c going. But if I was going to buy one, it would be Geoff's.

I installed the Aerosport overhead. Very straight forward and looks great. You can use the lights of your choice. I also used the headliner he has available.

There really isn't much choice these days if you want an overhead.

1. Fabricate your own console - not difficult, but tedious and requires a little ingenuity to make it look nice.

2. There was a company that was attempting to sell fiberglass overheads from Tony Sustare's old molds. I don't think they are still selling them, but I could be mistaken. Tony's console still required significant work to make it fit properly.

3. Buy Aerosport Products Carbon Fiber Overhead console from either Aerosport Products or SteinAir.

Be advised that there are at least three versions of the RV-10 cabin cover that I'm aware of at the moment. (two pink and one green) Aerosport's console has been the best overall fitting console, but will require some minor modifications it you have one of the pink and the green that have slightly different configurations. The step in the ceiling around the rear of the door frame is located in differently in these. If you have one of the pink cabin covers that the mold was based on, it should fit perfectly.

Last edited:
...Tony's console still required significant work to make it fit properly.

Understatement of the year so far!!!!! Let's put it this way, I'm working on my doors and at this point really don't know what all the fuss is about (I'm not kidding), mainly because campared to that Accuracy Avionics console, the doors are a piece of cake.

If you have the cash buy the aerosport. Many make their own out of fiber glass. I personally make mine out of aluminium and glassed it to the canopy. Cut the holes for the 4 air vents, lights, switches etc. A tad bit heavier than the glassed ones, but easier and faster.

Thanks for all the info, just talked to Stein, and the $625 console on his web site is no longer available and sould not be on the site anymore, what he sells as was mentioned is the aerosport console. So it boils down to the aerosport console or some form of roll your own.
Still exploring.
Bill Greenley
RV-10 Standard Build

Geoff's

I used Geoff's, and I had a pink cabin top - love his stuff. I went to the trouble of glassing it in and filling the transitions all around the edges to make it look good so I didn't need a headliner (see pics). The OHC fit really well with very little cutting/fitting; most of the work for me was making the transition look good around the edges, which you wouldn't need to do if you are using a headliner.
RV101524.jpg

RV101533.jpg

I put a lot of lights in mine, and love them when I need them, but don't use them very often - mainly when I'm starting up in the dark for an early departure, and the occasional night flight. They are all LED (of course) and include some simple "dome" lights for overall cabin lighting, red map lights for the front seats, and indivdual "eyeball" reading lights for all four seats. All are dimmable. I used the cheap black eyeball reading lights but I think I would use the fancy ones with the dimmer on the light (Sean Strasburg used these) if I did it again.

I used the Stein air vents (great) AND I added Geoff's NACA vent controller because you just can't get all the leaks out of it and it's really nice to be able to shut off all air to the OHC in the winter.

You will need to figure out how to butt the OHC up against the aft bulkhead (top half) so that it seals, but I just did it with a little piece of rubber seal just like the gap cover seal that goes under the HS.

One other thing. The OHC is great for running wires as well. I used the tube over the glareshield to run cables to the three GPS antennas I have up there: two external and one internal to the console. I also ran the power/ground wires for the LED lights. Without an OHC it would be real hard to put antennae on the cabin top.

My $0.02

Last edited:
GM overhead

I installed the Chevy S-10 overhead console, bought on eBay used for $35 plus shipping. Added the missing OAT probe, and it now has a compass readout and temperature in LED, four point lights, an overhead 'baggage' light over the rear seats, and slots for sunglasses or something else.

No air vents, but honestly, other than taxiing around the grass at Oshkosh in July, I haven't found the need for extra cooling in the -10 to warrant the weight and expense of AC.

Doug.

The Aerosport carbon fiber overhead only weighs 2.25 lbs The fiberglass ones
of the past weighed 8-9 lbs. That is a big savings on weight. Also the vents in the overhead are really nice. They do provide some air while taxiing and when in flight really make the cabin comfortable for all passengers.
Geoff

Ditto on the air

I agree that the extra air flow you get from the OHC is a really nice feature for the -10. Living in northern climes I virtually never feel the need for A/C but I spent a lot of time in the south and midwest this summer and the extra air you get at low altitudes or on the ground is a big plus. Having the ability to put air on someone's face also helps with the occasional motion sickness.

I used Geoff's unit with Stein's vents for my airflow systems air conditioning installation. I attached it with some recessed stainless screws and pro seal.

Very happy with the results.

With regards to the pics of Geoff's OHC - Is that a handle that I see in the back in the recess?

Add on

It's a custom add on I did. Just a big door in the floor that opens to the outside and a toilet seat bolted to the baggage area floor. And a roll of toilet paper mounted nearby :)

Maybe we can get Geoff to make a carbon fiber toilet seat...

second that

Understatement of the year so far!!!!! Let's put it this way, I'm working on my doors and at this point really don't know what all the fuss is about (I'm not kidding), mainly because campared to that Accuracy Avionics console, the doors are a piece of cake.

I have the Accuracy Avionics overhead and center consoles. I went there 5 years ago because it was just about the only option for fiberglass at the time. Boy did that bite me in the *** later. What Geoff Combs is selling is light years beyond what I had installed in fit and finish. You can't go wrong.

Eric

It's a custom add on I did. Just a big door in the floor that opens to the outside and a toilet seat bolted to the baggage area floor. And a roll of toilet paper mounted nearby :)

Maybe we can get Geoff to make a carbon fiber toilet seat...

That goes with the whistle in the right seat that Tim described on the other forum. :eek:

I have a used Chevy overhead console I'd sell if someone wants one. I bought it on eBay for $60 us shipping. I'd sell for the same OBO if someone would like it.
-Mike Kraus

Back