What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Prop fitting with custom spinner.

John Courte

Well Known Member
Hi, all.

It's time to fit the cowl. :D

When I purchased a prop a couple of years ago, it came with a fancy custom purple spinner. This prop used to be on Robbie Attaway's RV6, according to the logbook, and I seem to remember pics of it on his site before he changed to the Whirlwind on there currently. I could be wrong, it may have been on another metallic purple airplane of his not pictured.

Here it is in the crate when it arrived:
IMG_2583.JPG

The issue is this: Since it's a custom spinner, it's got a custom spinner bulkhead, shown here:
IMG_1013.JPG

This pic shows the standoffs behind the hub, which, including the plate, measure 2 1/4", which is the measurement called out by the Van's docs.
IMG_1014.JPG

So the question is, how do I set up the proper spacers and plate to simulate the prop?

Do I just suck it up and hang the prop, using it to fit the cowl instead of a mockup?

Will fitting the cowl to this prop/spinner forever doom the aircraft to using this custom spinner configuration?

I like the spinner (however, it will be repainted), and I'd like to save some money and time if possible by using it.

I use an old prop hub half. You bolt the rear bulkhead to the flange end of the dummy prop hub half and mount it on the engine with 2o r 3 of the studs.

Ask around your airport, someone should have one that they pass around to the guys.

Other ways to do it but this is what I usually do. As you said you can hang the prop but you risk a few scratches.

Bob, the logbook just says "Custom spinner by Jerry Herold."

You could try to contact Robbie Attaway, but I didn't get a response last time I tried using the email address on his site.

Back