What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ever been to Litchfield, Minnesota ?

Darren S

Well Known Member
I did a little flight there the other day to visit a friend I haven't seen in 15 years. Actually he was my Youth Pastor when I was going to University in Milwaukee.

There was a weather window to go and a bit sketchy to come back so I went for it. Wonderful 30 - 40 knot tailwinds going down but I knew I'd eat it on the way back. Sure enough a cold front blew in the next day and I got weathered out for the night in Garrison, North Dakota.

From a Canadians' perspective, I love these little American airfields. Most seem to have self serve fuel so I don't have to wait or bother anyone and this particular one had a nice loaner minivan to use !!! Sweet. On this side of the border..... not so much.

A nice fella in Garrison came out in the dark and let me park my -7 in his hanger for the night. The next day it was cold, even by Canadian standards. I wasn't sure the old girl would start, but she did and I headed for home and customs. I froze for the 3 hour flight from Garrison to Lethbridge. I made it to work with 10 minutes to spare:)

Here's how the last leg went down: Land, park the plane, sneak in the back door at work, some gel in the hair, new scrubs and I was looking like a million bucks. My first patient had no idea where I'd just come from and what just been through:)

Still loving the RV. Fly safe everyone. Here's a video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2CYpRohpas&context=C3bad161ADOEgsToPDskIARDQvixBNm96dNNJsMsHt

By the way. The aerobatics were done solo and just added for effect.

Darren

At least you had something to keep your ears warm. :D Man that cockpit looked really cold. :eek: Next time you better put a snow suit on! Really great video btw.

Last edited:
Thank you for an absolutely uplifting video. Great video, great music and I loved to see the enjoyment on your friends face as he experienced the thrill of flight. I can relate to the cold cockpit. Last night I flew a Cessna 172 to KBRD about a one hour flight north of my home base of KANE. The outside temp at my altitude was -23 F. BRRR. I was chilled to the bone. But there is something zen like about flying on cold, still nights.
Great video.

Glad you all enjoyed the vid. I'm really liking the Drift Stealth camera. The remote control, which I wear on my wrist, is nice to be able turn the camera on and off easily.

The song is by a guy named Danny Gokey. Back in 1993 when I was at Marquette he was one of the kids in the youth group I helped run. My friend in the video was actually the Youth Pastor at the time. Danny went on to 3rd place on American Idol a few seasons ago. It was great to see him succeed.

Darren

If you go back, take the crew car, and make sure to hit up Peters. They have awesome BBQ ribs. Just dont try to go on a Sunday. They're not open. Ask me how I know!

Back