What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

My wife's a fearful flyer but she flew to Vegas with me

Pmerems

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Gents,

Last week I took my wife on our first real cross country to Las Vegas. It was the longest flight in my RV-7A to date for myself and my wife. From Tucson to Las Vegas is a little over a two hour flight. This may not seem like long flight for those experienced flyers but it was a milestone for me in a few ways. I only have about 75 hours in my RV-7A and only been flying it for a year.

First you need to understand that my wife is fearful of flying. When we went to Las Vegas 16 years ago on a commercial flight she had tears in her eyes the whole way. Not tears of joy, tears of fear. So once the RV was finished there was some doubt that she would fly with me at all. We have flown three flight before and all were under 45 minutes. The first two flights went well and she enjoyed them the best she could. Any turbulence bothered her a lot. The third flight (breakfast flight with other RVers) didn?t go as well due to very minor turbulence and landing at small airport in a tiny valley. If fact she said that if our first flight was like the third flight she wouldn?t have gone up again.

My wife wants us to fly to Orlando so she can go to Harry Potter World. She is 48 years old but loves the Harry Potter stories (so do my 20+ year old daughters). In order to make it in the RV we need to see if she can handle longer flights. Additionally I also need to see what my flight time limits are. As I have been getting older my bladder isn?t what it used to be.

We initially planned to fly to Vegas the week before we did. However a serious cold front came in and with it rain. Rain in the desert, go figure. We waited day by day and it appeared the weather was getting better but the winds on the return flight might cause some turbulence. It was getting closer to Christmas and the stress of wrapping presents and the flight to Vegas was too much for my wife so we postponed the trip until the day after Christmas. The weather was going to be warming up substantially which would make the flight and our time in Vegas more enjoyable.

So on Monday 12/26 we left for Vegas. I expected about 38 degrees at altitude but it was in the mid 50?s. There must have been a temperature inversion all along our flight so it was very comfortable with no turbulence at all. We flew up the Colorado river over Lake Havasu, Bulhead city and then into Henderson. My wife enjoyed the view and in general enjoyed the flight. On the way back we had a 26 knot tailwind so we dashed home.

My wife was proud of herself and bragged to everyone we met in Vegas that we flew up in our plane. She still isn?t that comfortable in the plane yet but she is excited about traveling to new and exciting places. The kids are out of the house and we need our own adventures.

Things I learned on the trip.

1. Make sure you know your bladder range and bring whatever is needed to extend it.
2. Autopilot-Don?t leave home without it. It really made the flight enjoyable.
3. It costs about $50 to take a cab from the strip to Henderson. There is only a free shuttle from Henderson to the strip.
4. Don?t be afraid of Class B airspace- Vegas approach was very helpful and allowed me into their space if I needed.
5. Henderson Executive is a very nice airport and great people.

Excellent. Do go out of your way to make the wife comfortable. Pillows. Blanket. Shoe/sock warmers.

Avoid summer afternoon flying.

Learn about wind turbulence in mountainous areas.

On board music is good too.

Check out the Trip Reports section. Lots of places to go and things to see/do.

"In order to make it in the RV we need to see if she can handle longer flights." It is just a series of short flights.

I put in heated seats just for the Wifey. She loves them. Before I could talk Teresa into a trip back home, I made a long cross country to pick up the mother-in-law to bring her back for a visit. She bragged about the great trip. It worked out great, now the Ms. has flown home with me to see her mother. We started out with little trips. Nothing in the afternoon, all early morning or late evening. Avoid windy days.

We actually did fly to Henderson from LA on the weekend before Christmas and had rain Sunday morning in Vegas. Poor little -6 got wet parked at HND. But, no turbulence either way but did have a 25-kt headwind on the way over on Saturday.

Talked the Hertz lady into giving me our company's Budget rate of $35/day for a full-size, which is cheaper than 2 taxi rides. And, you're right; HND is a great airport.

My wife doesn't "love" traveling by RV much, either. But, we did do a "17-day road-trip-by-air" a year after 1st flight, back in '08, and that was quite enjoyable. Having a stereo intercom with aux input so you can plug in your iPod does help a lot. Only other thing I wish for would be A/C, like this unit. Just a bit more than I want to spend!

You don't need to spend that kind of bucks, you can make one in an aftenoon for a very few bucks. My brother has made them for all of his electric cars.
Only other thing I wish for would be A/C, like this unit. Just a bit more than I want to spend!

Cool

I remember my first 1000 mile XC..Scared me to death, funny thing was I never thought about it all during the build..then suddenly the day came that my Wife reminded me wht we built the airplane..Gulp..:)

Its a right of passage..just don;t forget that PLB over remote areas..lits of those between Corvallis and Denver.

Cheers

Frank

I'm not sure if your wife is being brave by flying.....but you're definitely being brave by revealing her age on a public forum. :D

But no woman ever looks her age when she flies in an RV! Those who fly RVs get this as a nice perk. I thought this was a well-known fact among RVer's... ;) I think Van just forgot to put it on his website.

RVs bring out the younger spirit in us all! :). Shoot, this may even apply for males, too.

Congrats on the stepping stone flight -- I can relate and appreciate those steps of progress.

Last edited:

Yeah, I thought about building exactly something like that... but then you have to stop at the store each time you want to fly, and it's only good for an hour or so. And finding ice away from home is a PITA too... that's why I really want a compressor-based system.

I spent 10 min once researching Prius compressors, since they're electric, but they run on 202V, 3-phase. And they're too big for a 2-place RV-sized vehicle.

Hmmm... just found this. Might just be what's needed. Still kind of heavy at 33 lbs for just the compressor/condenser.

Last edited:
Congrats Paul, and best of luck with future trips and flights!
I understand completely as my wife is also a reluctant flier but has been williing to expand the envelope in steps as well.

Chris

There was a vendor at AirAdventure this year, primarily importing an aluminum LSA from Europe. He also was selling an air condition unit for it, very small and light, I was impressed.
Maybe someone recalls the vendor, he was pretty much just across the road from Vans display.

Mt wife takes Dramamine a couple of hours before she goes flying. Sort of relaxes her.

Marshall Alexander

We were in the same air that day... Mojave to Phoenix.

One thing to keep in mind is that she is going to look to you to see how to react to a given situation. If you're calm and collected, she'll sense that and feel more at ease.

Turbulence really used to bother my wife too, but there was a flight early on that she really turned the corner. We were in a Cardinal and passing over the ridgeline from Tehachapi into the Antelope Valley - an area which often has very localized and significant turbulence in the wind rotor. Anyway, I was relaxed with one hand on the yoke and one resting on the seatback when we hit the rotor - and it was pretty bad. My head hit the roof, and some stuff went flying through the cabin. I was expecting it, and I also knew we were nowhere near structural limits on the airplane, so in the middle of it all I calmly turned to her, smiled, and said "this is fun, isn't it?". Since then she is much more calm, and actually falls asleep in the light chop. The point is, she knows that if I'm not nervous about the airplane coming apart, then she shouldn't be either. If you think about it, even an airplane in light chop is still a smoother ride than the family car rolling down many freeways.

Back