What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Big ole dent in prop leading edge

JackinMichigan

Well Known Member
I'm hoping the picture came thru.

I noticed this little surprise during my condition inspection. It must have just happened because I didn't notice it during my last preflight, and I make it a point to check the prop leading edges.

This is an MT constant speed 3-blade composite prop with all of 53 hours on it. The edges don't feel sharp and it didn't break thru the protective aluminum leading edge, so what should I do about this? Do I do anything?

ext9YRAFHw5entYDLw2eDGOHmkyS3NiFcwbBma_Gv57LUKVbcLrfFUTG7mj90Nc8oXnRmCAwwTywZmKTouGOphvKNnj5ZbvHh9F-s0fniNsPMM0RyfsRhlMgVUrUb_LG05kMVbDdnA=w196-h348-no

Last edited by a moderator:
no pic either...

But you might want to check MTs Service Letter for in field repair https://www.mt-propeller.com/pdf/sls/sl32r5.pdf

Damaged one blade on my 3-bladed a while ago... sent some pictures and measurements to MT-Propeller support. Was happily surprised when a few hours later I received specific repair instructions and the SL above, all resulting in a quick repair :cool:

Check the MT site, if no exposure of the substrate, or no cracks in the leading edge, scuff up, degrease, fill with epoxy or JB Weld and smooth out with wet and dry.

Ours has several little dinks in, no problem.

The 3 blade MT composite on my buddies Cozy MKIV we built gets chewed up more often than expected due to it being a pusher. The first time, we sent some pics to MT and they also recommended a simple DIY fill and file procedure for the repair. We did that several times over the years until delamination started and it was time to remove and drop the prop off at Tiffin Aire for a complete strip, re-wrap, overhaul, and paint. I think that ran around $4K for everything. Looked like new when picked back up.

The leading edge is either stainless steel or nickel depending on type. Provided there are no cracks in it, it can be dressed and filled.

Plenty of info on the various MT resource sites.

Back