What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

First flight

chevytoo

Nov 2 2019 was the first flight for RV-9A C-FWRN S/N 91413. Project started June 2006 with a slow built kit. It has an 0-320 with a Hartzell propeller and steam gauges. Flight was at Abbotsford Airport [CYXX]. I had an instructor with me as a safety. I was very glad I had him on board as I was quite nervous throughout the flight.
The aeroplane jumped off the ground and established a positive rate of climb. We orbited CYXX at 3500 ft for .7 hours. Stalled the plane. Some slow flight but mostly maneuvering the plane. The stall warning came on at 75 MPH so that was a real distraction. I did not think to install a separate breaker for it when I wired it. Maybe a mod soon. My approach speed was too fast because of the stall warning but the aeroplane was actually quite easy to control. The touch down was again too fast so there was something shimmying. I found the RV-9A to be very light on the controls and the elevator trim very effective. It flew level hands off with the aileron trim in neutral.
I checked the nose wheel fork friction, it was OK. I read the instructions and adjusted the vane for the stall warning.
I hope to fly solo today but waiting for the outside temp to warm up a bit.

Congrats! Pretty amazing feeling isnt it? It's weird having several emotions happen at once, all while trying to fly an airplane!

a complex blend of emotion on first flight day. enjoy Phase I. it's a beautiful phase to own and operate an airplane.

Second flight

First solo flight. Take off was much smother than the first. Fixed most of the stall warning problem. Now it goes off at 60 MPH. Put 0.5 on it today. The visibility was only 6 miles so had problems finding CYXX runway. Landing was an arrival. But it is all a learning experience.

Yahoo! My first flight in my 9A was in 2006 and I still remember every moment. You're going to love flying it.

Vern

Totally awesome

You are going to love flying the -9A. It is an absolutely delightful aircraft, I still can't get over how much I like mine. Can't wait to hear more about your adventures and impressions.

It took me a while to figure out that a shimmy mine exhibited on landing had nothing to do with the nosewheel. It was the mains. Discovered this when, during a relatively brisk taxi to get to the end of a looong runway, I lifted the nosewheel off the ground and the shimmy remained. :)

Fly safe!

Nov 2 2019 was the first flight for RV-9A C-FWRN S/N 91413. Project started June 2006 with a slow built kit. It has an 0-320 with a Hartzell propeller and steam gauges. Flight was at Abbotsford Airport [CYXX]. I had an instructor with me as a safety. I was very glad I had him on board as I was quite nervous throughout the flight.
The aeroplane jumped off the ground and established a positive rate of climb. We orbited CYXX at 3500 ft for .7 hours. Stalled the plane. Some slow flight but mostly maneuvering the plane. The stall warning came on at 75 MPH so that was a real distraction. I did not think to install a separate breaker for it when I wired it. Maybe a mod soon. My approach speed was too fast because of the stall warning but the aeroplane was actually quite easy to control. The touch down was again too fast so there was something shimmying. I found the RV-9A to be very light on the controls and the elevator trim very effective. It flew level hands off with the aileron trim in neutral.
I checked the nose wheel fork friction, it was OK. I read the instructions and adjusted the vane for the stall warning.
I hope to fly solo today but waiting for the outside temp to warm up a bit.

Back