What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aerosport Panel Install Video

Jrskygod

Well Known Member
I have been searching every way I can think of for the aerosport panel install video URL I saw posted in a thread here a month or so ago. Could someone please share that video. It would be most helpful. Thanks

It is possible to install the wiring for the overhead console up through that center brace and get rid if that ugly conduit.

The "ugly conduit" you mention has been completely glassed into the a pillars and have a nicer finished look than the stock design.

You can squeeze whatever you can up the center post, or go under the floor and up into the overhead from the tailcone. I have more wires running to the overhead than I could fit in the center post, AND I kept my antenna wires and power wires separate... hence the "ugly conduit".

Ed, the cables that provide Vans for the quadrant are used to use them in the Quad Arm Rest of Aerosport, as you show it in the video or it is necessary to ask for a special measurement ???

tks

Renzo Rissetto
Rv-10 builder - Chile

Ed, the cables that provide Vans for the quadrant are used to use them in the Quad Arm Rest of Aerosport, as you show it in the video or it is necessary to ask for a special measurement ???

tks

Renzo Rissetto
Rv-10 builder - Chile

You'll need longer cables. Once you get the arm rest and quadrant, you'll need to measure the length. There are too many variables to simply state one size fits all.

Help?

I'm at an awkward stage where I have the quad armrest center console but AFS has my 310 and lower panel parts for the next few months. Hoping to move forward with quadrant and console mounting but not sure what fore-aft datum I can use for positioning the arm rest console on the tunnel cover without the lower panel to butt it up against.

Is it safe to go off a measurement from someone else's build? Is there a way to fudge any gap that might result between quad console and lower panel piece with rubber trim? Or am I better off finding other things to do until the lower panel is installed? I probably can't even finish up FWF until I have the quadrant mounted and can measure/order the 3 Cali Push Pull cables to go between...

Maybe a reference distance between the forward-most tunnel cover mounting screw that gets match-drilled common with the console and the console's forward factory edge would suffice.

I think the answer is, it depends on what you are measuring.

I only have a couple data points, but none of our aircraft are identical. Things can easily be off 1/16? - 1/8?. If you want to ensure a flush, tight fit, I would wait. At the end of the build is not a time to start taking short cuts. You want the cosmetics to look as perfect as you can do them.

For the control cables, being off that same amount isn?t a big deal. If you don?t have your lower console, Geoff should be able to give you close measurements as to where the throttle will be located. Get some weed eater string and run it they way you want and measure it. Adding an inch for insurance shouldn?t be an issue.

There still will be FWF stuff to do once the controls are cabled up.

Out of curiosity, why does AFS have your lower console? I would have thought all they needed were the panel inserts.

In my conversations with Stephan, we decided it would be best for AFS to take initial delivery of the entire thing for the purpose of cutting the switch panel holes and match-drilling the inserts. (My understanding is that AFS makes their own inserts anyway.) I suspect that before my project sits in the queue too long, the panel outer structure can be sent on its way here under separate cover. Any delays are on me -I just now sent in my initial deposit, but OTOH I don't want to wait 3 months for the panel frame to be forwarded on, given how these installation tasks stack up on each other.

Once I attach control cables and retrofit SDS's 6-point manifold pressure summing system, my FWF is done but for the pinhole filling. I'm counting on airframe wiring harness and interior tasks to keep me going until DAR day. Which is the 23rd. Just not saying which month or year yet.

Back