What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Data Point - Cracked Cee Bailey's Windshield

CharlieWaffles

Well Known Member
I was just down at the hangar and during my preflight noticed an unexpected surprise. There is a 5" hairline crack in the windshield above the passenger seat. It runs from the edge of the windshield down. It is smooth to the tough inside and out, though there is some disturbance in the area where the windshield interfaces with the canopy cover. This was originally sanded and 2 layers of glass were laid to transition from windshield to the canopy.

This is an after market windshield from Cee Baileys and has been installed for 6 years. There does not appear to be any impact damage so I am guessing this is strictly a stress crack.

I have marked the crack and will be watching to see if it propagates any further. I suspect if it does I will either have to stop drill it or completely replace the windshield.

I have previously sent an email to Cee Baileys but have not gotten any response to my inquiry if they are aware of any potential issues with their windshield.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/AKN7RRrzFHmCQVgT7
https://photos.app.goo.gl/4tfKqcnnUS3WaQNo8
https://photos.app.goo.gl/JjMAwo6tV1THCKpF6
https://photos.app.goo.gl/8nYsuE27AHXmGY856

Cee baileys crack

Charlie
Maybe it’s the picture but I see the area by the crack appears to also be cracking over the paint as well, almost like there is a lot of stress over that general area. I happen to have the oldest Cee Baileys windscreen, simply because it was my plane that it was prototyped on. I looked and don’t see any stress in that area or any area over the windscreen. When we prototyped the windscreen we left a little over to be adjusted to form fit each builders RV10, there shouldn’t have been much needed to be trimmed, but It was form fitted to my canopy and I followed the plans to a T, so unless there was an issue with your mold, there shouldn’t be any real stress in that area. I would call DESSER, they own cee baileys and have them get someone from the baileys team to discuss this with you. They are a good group of folks I’m sure they will be interested in your feedback and working with you to get it resolved. I would do that before drilling or doing anything further to the windscreen.
Pascal

I remember the fact they did the mold off of your plane. You are also right that there wasn't much if any trimming needed to fit the screen, especially in that area. I don't recall what if any edge treatment/sanding I may have done prior to install.

I did go out and stop drill the crack on the windscreen. A small acrylic bit and some goop to fill the hole. It's right above a Rosen visor so it's really not noticeable from the interior. I am going to meet with the painter to discuss how to address the exterior crack.

crack

I see the hair line crack but also as you show the delamination of the wind shield along the canopy interface. I have the standard Vans wind shield but also have the delam going on. I do not have a crack vertically but along the canopy/shield interface. I will post a pic as soon as i get it to this computer.

Anyone else seeing delaminations along the canopy?

Ron

It's right above a Rosen visor so it's really not noticeable from the interior.

Maybe a correlation to the crack?
Holes drilled in the cabin frame will make it less stiff.
Perhaps someone pulled excessively hard on the visor frame or tried to move bend it in a direction that it is not intended to.

Actually in my case I didn't drill the canopy for the rosen visor. I actually foamed and glass over the joggle where people usually drill through. I then add a potted nut and attached the visor that way. So there was no exterior penetration.

You can see the area in this build pic. The crack is about 6 inches towards the center from the mount. About where the canopy straightens out above the arch.
wp_001181.jpg

Back