What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

LED replacement for MR16 landing light bulbs

Carl Froehlich

Well Known Member
Looking for any experience with builders who have replaced the standard Van?s 75 watt halogen bulbs with MR16 LED bulbs.

Specifically, any problems with RFI? If not, what brand worked for you.

Carl

I am also interested to hear what anyone has found in the way of LEDs for MR16 sockets. I replaced my Vans halogen bulbs with HID bulbs, but those are no longer available. :(

Be sure voltage is right --

Buddy of mine found some replacements, but they were "12 Volt" and did not last long in his 14 volt system.

Ron

Team Aerodynamics Offers a Whelen kit

About two years ago I changed out my Vans halogen landing lights to LED lights. I used the kit sold through Team Aerodynamics which uses the Whelen 71685 LED light. The kit cost was $155 per light. I found the conversion straight forward and those lights significantly increased the light output compared to my old 50 watt halogen bulbs. Current draw per light is 1 amp.

Here is the web address http://www.teamaerodynamix.com/shop/product/kit-landing-light-wing-tip/

I?m told the PAR 36 light that goes in the front of the wing actually produces even more forward visibility. The web address for this kit is http://www.teamaerodynamix.com/shop...ight-kit-for-par36-plus-led-light-with-light/

Both lights are Whelen products with Team Aerodynamics selling a conversion kit and the light. You will likely need to buy some wire, molex pins and connectors.

Good luck on your search.

LED replacement for Landing light

RV-10 had HID lights but the replacement for the broken bulb was not possible due to company ceasing production. I ended up building my own LED Taxi/ landing light
Cree XHP-35 x3 using a 350ma power module and a lense to focus the 120degrees to about 80 degrees. I did have RFI with one module but not the "Meanwell". As for lighting- I still have one HID and that is my landing light, the LED is a great taxi light and can been seen by other aircraft in the air- very bright. I think total coat for full project was under $30
Now there is a XHP70, runs cooler and puts out 4022lumen. I may one day go that route for the landing light at 1050Ma. 1050ma with the XHP35 was way too hot to control under s fiberglass wingtip.
If you built your plane, building the LED solution will be easy compared to the panel!!

Back