What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

2 Years to First Flight

AcroSmoke

One week shy of the 2 year anniversary of the day I started my RV-7, N505RV took to the air. Couldn't have happened without the help and support of my wonderful wife and great friends. I'll post more later.
2jca32x.jpg

Congratulations David,

I made a post earlier but did not see it up. So here it is again.

All You have to do now is to get the 40 hours off and fly up to OSH this year.

Will look forward to seeing you.

Smilin' Jack

One week shy of the 2 year anniversary of the day I started my RV-7, N505RV took to the air. Couldn't have happened without the help and support of my wonderful wife and great friends. I'll post more later.

Congrats - and GREAT n-number. Represent!! :) I grew up in northern NM. Hope to see you at OSH sometime!

AWESOME job David. You beat me by 12 years...:D

Stay safe in phase 1 and keep us posted.

ps I'm in ABQ for the next few weeks. Where are you base? Love to visit.

Congratulations

Wow. 2 years. I'm at three and just getting ready to flip the canoe.
Yes, great number.
Almost the same as mine.

Great job!

Two years, unbelievable!
It was good getting to meet you when I was there a few weeks ago!
Have fun!

Update:
N505RV Segundo Veinto

My RV-7 project started on January 5th, 2014. As with most airplane kits, it started with the empennage kit. From the moment I opened the first crate, I knew this would be a plane that I would complete and fly. One week shy of two years came the first flight.

On Wednesday December 30, 2015 at about 11:30 Mountain Time, Segundo Viento (Spanish for Second Wind) took off from Albuquerque?s Double Eagle II?s (KAEG) runway 17. The plan I had coordinated with the Tower was to orbit the airport above pattern altitude (6800?) and 8500?. At that altitude I contacted ABQ Approach who gave me a squak code and cautioned me to keep below 8500?. This happened just as I saw my altimeter blasting right through 8500?. The flight lasted about 25 minutes, the RV grin lasted a couple of days.

There is no question as to why the series of Van?s Aircraft are so popular and plentiful. They are a fantastic kit with unparalleled support from both the factory and the builders community.

While it may be possible for the truly ingenious person to build an RV-7 all by them selves, this builder did need the help and support from family and friends. I have been very fortunate during the past couple of years to have the support and help of several people to make this project happen. Primary thanks go to my wonderful and patient wife Margie. She help me pick which model of RV to build, picked the interior colors and registration number and even did a bit of drilling, clecoing and riveting too. Most importantly, she encouraged me, gave me space when needed, put up with the strangeness of the flying community that would consume much of my time, focused me, sometimes refocused me. I am proud that she was there when the project became an airplane.

I wish to thank all of the members of Illinois EAA Chapter 461 but primarily:
Rich Tichy (RV-6) for looking over my shoulder (even when I thought I didn't need it). Rich?s knowledge, experience, skills and sometimes tools were put to the test on all phases of the project. And, all it cost me was beer.
Other important people include: Tony Sabos, Mike Weimer, Arnie Zimmerman, Josh Jones, John Steichen, Ron Bradley, Wayne Brazinski, Colin Koebel
From The Albuquerque group: Norm Schippers (Rv-6), Jon Farley (RV-8), John Nystrom (Rv-7A, Rv-3), Chris Olsen (RV-3)

Specs:
RV-7
Empty weight: 1031lbs
Lycoming IO360-A1A
WhirWind GA200L Prop
Dynon Skyview Touch 10?
Aero Classics Seats
Vertical Power VP-X Sport Electronic Circuit Breaker

David Otero
RV-7 N505RV
[email protected]
Albuquerque, New Mexico