What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin? Team X Introduces Three New Products and Adds New Capabilities

g3xpert

Well Known Member
Advertiser
We are pleased to announce three new products to compliment our existing G3X lineup! These products will be on display at Oshkosh so please come by our booth and check out the latest and greatest! All new products and features are anticipated to become available Q3 2015.

Also, a quick Oshkosh plug. We'll be running two experimental seminars a day, Monday through Saturday at our booth. The first at 10:30 AM and a second at 2:00 PM. We are no longer located at Exhibit Hangar D. We have moved to a different location on the main road (Celebration Way) when you come in the main gate. Big tent, lots of Garmin flags, you can't miss it!

UV0sfeIjieNzBxvuPkH8j-Ko0RPQ_e9LGEHv0VaeNU8=w922-h645-no

New GPS 20A Provides Cost-Effective Path For Meeting 2020 ADS-B Requirements In EAB/LSA

ounx0lpBsBkRyJtlzvR7kmmDLikQGI3C-HK8Yey6kaQ=w620-h335-no

The GPS 20A provides thousands of experimental amateur-built and LSA customers with the simple, low-cost ADS-B Out position source they have been waiting for. Highly accurate WAAS/SBAS position information is provided by the GPS 20A and is compatible with a wide range of 1090 ES transponders, so customers have an economical path to meet the ADS-B Out position requirements of 14 CFR 91.227. For aircraft owners who don't already have a TSO WAAS GPS navigator and are looking for a simple path to 2020 compliance, the GPS 20A provides a timely solution that meets the necessary TSO performance requirements in a compact, easy-to-install package.

G3X and G3X Touch customers who have incorporated the GTX 23ES Mode S transponder or a GTX 330ES transponder in their EAB/LSA aircraft, can easily install the GPS 20A by connecting a single RS-232 interface to provide Garmin ADS-B data to the transponder to make their system ADS-B Out compliant. The GPS 20A communicates with all installed G3X and G3X Touch displays to provide a source of high quality WAAS GPS data to the system. Simple LED indicators on the GPS 20A provide both GPS and CAN bus status information, which makes your installation checkout a cinch.

The GPS 20A may also be paired with compatible third-party Mode S transponders. Additionally, a secondary interface can optionally provide industry standard GPS data to third-party systems (such as a 406 MHz ELT or flight display), for a highly accurate WAAS GPS data source.

R_owXXPV2MpzJ-SqN1k-cNQuPlZoLKuM1Xb_jglV9FU=w859-h474-no

The GPS 20A WAAS GPS is expected to be available for an advertised price of $845. The GPS 20A with GA 35 WAAS antenna and install kit is expected to be available for approximately $1,225.

GMC 307 Autopilot Control Panel

Joining the popular GMC 305 in our lineup, the new GMC 307 autopilot control panel gives pilots additional features most-requested by customers. The addition of dedicated heading and altitude select knobs combines all of the autopilot controls into one efficient control panel to reduce pilot workload. Similar to the GMC 305, a built-in control wheel also supports pitch, vertical speed, and airspeed adjustments. Standard functions with the autopilot control panel include airspeed hold, yaw damper, independent flight director and an advanced Level (LVL) mode button, which helps restore the aircraft to straight and level flight. Contributing to an easy upgrade path, the GMC 307 connector and wiring is identical to a GMC 305, so customers who have provisioned for the GMC 305 can easily upgrade to the new GMC 307 autopilot control panel. And as with the GMC 305, the GMC 307 allows for standalone operation of the autopilot as part of the G3X and G3X Touch system.

eJE049jaBu8_RuTFOcg9QxgpjyuFXnMPr72IIkcvJQA=w536-h184-no

The GMC 307 is expected to be available for an advertised price of $1,099.

GSU 25B High-Performance ADAHRS

This may not be quite so relevant to RV's, but for high-performance aircraft that exceed 300 knots indicated airspeed, the new GSU 25B provides highly accurate air data, attitude, heading and angle of attack information for display on G3X and G3X Touch systems. Airspeed up to 465 knots indicated is supported by the GSU 25B. And as always, G3X customers may optionally install up to three ADAHRS units for added redundancy.

2VXlvsFL9JHrt4JRYqkPN3BpKsXCiFCcPr1qxNNDuvQ=w472-h320-no

The GSU 25B is expected to be available as part of a kit with the GMU 22, GTP 59 and system config module for an advertised price of $2599 and $1,499 for each additional ADAHRS.

Additional G3X Touch Functionality

In addition to these new products, pilots receive added functionality between G3X Touch and the GTN 650/750 touchscreen navigators. The latest GTN software provides G3X Touch owners the option to tune the COMM/NAV frequency, control radio volume and swap active/standby COM frequencies of the GTN, right from the G3X Touch display. The screenshot below is just one example of this new feature and how it allows you to use the fast frequency lookup and tuning capability of G3X Touch.

_EK_T2wTylIZT0hBNHw8DlYDEmzrwWkK1OzryjKEnMU=w984-h721-no

Hope to see you all at Oshkosh!

Update 8/6/2015: The Rev. U version of the G3X Installation Manual is now available and provides installation details for the GMC 307, GPS 20A, and GSU 25B.

Thanks!
Brian

Last edited:
Wow - this all sounds great. Questions:

1. Does the GPS 20A require a different antenna than the current G3X system? I have the standard package (dual screen) for my RV-12. Or could I install it using existing antenna?

2. In my system, would the GMC 307 be a "plug and play" replacement for the GMC 305?

THANKS

Hello Turner,

To meet the WAAS GPS TSO performance requirements, the GPS 20A requires the use of the same type of GPS antenna (GA35) that is used with an IFR WAAS GPS navigator. So, the GA26 or GA56 antenna used with your existing G3X Touch installation will not be able to be used with a GPS 20A. However, with a GPS 20A in your system, having a GPS antenna connected to one or more of your G3X Touch displays is no longer a requirement, so you would still end up having only one GPS antenna on your airplane. Of course you could also retain the the existing GPS antenna connection to your G3X Touch display for added redundancy, if you so choose.

The GMC 307 uses the same wiring and connector as the GMC 305, so it is indeed plug-and-play from an electrical standpoint, but due to the addition of the heading and altitude knob controls it is about a half-inch taller and has a slightly different method of mounting to the panel.

- Matt

1. Does the GPS 20A require a different antenna than the current G3X system? I have the standard package (dual screen) for my RV-12. Or could I install it using existing antenna?

Yes, to meet the TSO performance requirements and truly be 2020 ADS-B Out compliant, you need to use an antenna that has been tested with the GPS 20A. The GA 35 is the one we expect most people will be using.

2. In my system, would the GMC 307 be a "plug and play" replacement for the GMC 305?

Yes and no. The connector used for the GMC 305 is the same and the pinout is the same. Both the GMC 305 and 307 are mark width (6.25"), but the GMC 307 is slightly taller (2.1" instead of the 1.85" for the GMC 305). So you will need to enlarge the cutout. However, the GMC 307 uses a really nice pawl latch design which will help simplify the modification. Just get the opening 'close enough' and the pawl latches will clamp the unit onto the panel. Pawl latch design shown below hopefully gives you a better idea how the two pawl latches clamp down on the panel from the sides.

qfOVP9Umcg2-Qq18TaTSOpjfvdMNs5kSrnXJ1kon32M=w669-h164-no

Thanks,
Brian

Last edited:
Brian,
Thanks - I can't wait to see the new AP control. I am not finished installing my panel, but ready to upgrade to the new unit! Will you be open Sunday? I only have Sunday and Monday to be there. Thanks

Brian,
Thanks - I can't wait to see the new AP control. I am not finished installing my panel, but ready to upgrade to the new unit! Will you be open Sunday? I only have Sunday and Monday to be there. Thanks

Booth opens at 9:00 AM Monday morning. We'll be there 9-5 every day Monday through Saturday. See you there!

Brian

Brian and Matt:

Thanks for the timely replies. One more question: what is needed for G3X touch systems to be fully usable 2016-2020? I'm still confused regarding the changes announced for next year.

Turner B

Brian and Matt:

Thanks for the timely replies. One more question: what is needed for G3X touch systems to be fully usable 2016-2020? I'm still confused regarding the changes announced for next year.

Turner B

The existing GTX 23 ES coupled with this new GPS 20A and you are all set! No expensive IFR Navigator required!!!

In addition to these new products, pilots receive added functionality between G3X Touch and the GTN 650/750 touchscreen navigators. The latest GTN software provides G3X Touch owners the option to tune the COMM/NAV frequency, control radio volume and swap active/standby COM frequencies of the GTN, right from the G3X Touch display.

What is the version number for the GTN 750 software that I should have installed for this functionality? Finding an authorized Garmin Dealer that even knows what I am talking about has been very difficult.

Thanks,

Any show specials?

1/2 off a GTN 650 :)

-Dan

We will have seminar bucks as usual. No half price fire sales ;). But please do come by and talk to us if you are planning on pulling the trigger at Oshkosh or within a very short period of time afterward.

Thanks,
Brian

.......the GMC 307 is slightly taller (2.1" instead of the 1.85" for the GMC 305). So you will need to enlarge the cutout. However, the GMC 307 uses a really nice pawl latch design which will help simplify the modification. Just get the opening 'close enough' and the pawl latches will clamp the unit onto the panel. Pawl latch design shown below hopefully gives you a better idea how the four pawl latches clamp down on the panel.

qfOVP9Umcg2-Qq18TaTSOpjfvdMNs5kSrnXJ1kon32M=w669-h164-no

Thanks,
Brian

Are these latches on the sides or top and bottom? Do you know the size of the cutout yet?

I am just about to pull the trigger on my new panel but was waiting for the Osh announcements and this would make a nice upgrade - but as space is critical I need to figure out if I can make it work with the extra .25" in height and if there is extra needed for the latches.

The initial post in the thread includes this statement:

"The GPS 20A may also be paired with compatible third-party Mode S transponders."

Where does one find the list of compatible third-party Mode S transponders?

Thanks,

Ditto on software question. When will this update be available?

What is the version number for the GTN 750 software that I should have installed for this functionality? Finding an authorized Garmin Dealer that even knows what I am talking about has been very difficult.

Thanks,

For the GPS 20A - is it compatible with original G3X (not touch) system coupled with GTX 23ES transponder?

Last edited:

Thanks,

Pacific Coast Avionics says the new GTN software is supposed to be released in the 3rd Qtr.

New GPS 20A Provides Cost-Effective Path For Meeting 2020 ADS-B Requirements In EAB/LSA

Does this meet a TSO as well? TSO146?

Joining the popular GMC 305 in our lineup, the new GMC 307 autopilot control panel gives pilots additional features most-requested by customers.

Arrgggghhh! Same as last time! the Day I installed another brand auto pilot (which has not worked since day 1) Garmin release their autopilot! Today, I have just been advised that my GMC305 has arrived! Arrggghhh!

Great news!

For a G3X Touch system with GTX 23ES, do you need serial + can bus connection? Or can you just run the serial?

Hello Marcus,

Technically, you only need to add power, ground, antenna, and the single ADS-B+ RS-232 connection to the GTX 23ES to become ADS-B Out compliant with the GPS 20A/GTX 23ES.

As shown in the picture above, the GPS 20A has two status LEDs on the box, one for power/communication, and one for GPS status. When you first power up the box you will see a slow flashing green LED next to the antenna connector. The flashing green LED tells you that the GPS 20A is acquiring the WAAS GPS signal. As soon as it gets a full 3D Differential fix, the light turns to a steady green and you know you have a great installations and ADS-B+ data is being transmitted.

In the transponder window on your G3X Touch display, the yellow "NO ADSB" annunciation at the top of that window will go away as soon as the GTX 23ES sees that it is receiving ADS-B+ data from the GPS 20A, so you never have to worry about seeing the status LED on the GPS 20A after initial installation. Make sure and set the "Position Integrity" on your GTX 23ES transponder configuration page to "IFR GPS 1E-7" as this tells the system that it will no longer be using the GPS built into your display for ADS-B Out.

We sure hope you also connect the CAN bus at some point because not only does the GPS 20A provide an additional "IFR quality", high integrity WAAS position source to your G3X Touch system, but the ADAHRS unit(s) sitting on the CAN bus will also recognize that this high quality data is present and they will automatically prefer it and use it for aiding the AHRS solution. The ADS-B+ data sent directly to the transponder from the GPS 20A is just a subset of the complete data set that is being provided to every component in your G3X Touch system over the CAN bus.

When we review the high resolution 3 axis GPS velocity data provided by the GPS 20A that we collect in our flight testing, we sure like what we see!

Thanks,
Steve

Great addition guys.

Now how about some decent maps outside the USA? The G3X is pretty useless in that regard.

Other vendors now have geo-ref WAC/ERC/TAC/IFR / Plates etc available outside the USA except Garmin - and at an affordable price point.

That would be a nice evolution.

Richard

Does this meet a TSO as well? TSO146?
A comment I saw on PPrune suggested the GPS20A is not TSO'd, it only "meets the performance requirements of the TSO", which is fine for the U.S., the FAA recently clarified that's all that has to happen, but for Australia and Europe as well, AIUI, we must have a device that has actually been certified against the relevant TSO, which rules out the Garmin GPS20A as well as Dynon's new GPS-2020.

The best I can see for stand-alone position source is the FreeFlight 1201 at a cost of nearly $3000USD. Ouch. Thank you very much CAsA...

Well I hope the new GMC-307 mounting scheme is much better. What a pain this was with the GMC-305, at least for a standard radio stack mounting. For me it would be worth buying the new model for this reason alone.

I would also ask for support of Australian mapping equivalent of sectionals to be provided.
It can be done, as others have now shown.
The team x group are a great group who seem keen to help their customers and are innovative, so here is hoping for this to become available soon.
John

Dan, there's the usual seminar bucks. Not sure if there's more than that. I'm definitely going to as many as I can, collecting for Stein. ;)

Dan, there's the usual seminar bucks. Not sure if there's more than that. I'm definitely going to as many as I can, collecting for Stein. ;)

Unfortunately I couldn't make Oshkosh. I was hoping they would at least do the $500 rebate they have done the last few years...

-Dan

Unfortunately I couldn't make Oshkosh. I was hoping they would at least do the $500 rebate they have done the last few years...

-Dan

It wasn't much - $200 for 650, $400 for 750, I believe. They are offering the 625 for $5200ish in conjunction with the G3X.

Will the G3X support 5 fuel tank quantity indicators? We have 5 tanks...

L&R Main, L&R Aux, plus a fuselage Aux Tank. Need to monitor all five!

Question for g3xperts

Hey guys, noticed an option to send flight plan from G3x touch to GTN. It doesn't do anything when I touch that option. Does the GTN need a software upgrade from 5.13?

Hey guys, noticed an option to send flight plan from G3x touch to GTN. It doesn't do anything when I touch that option. Does the GTN need a software upgrade from 5.13?

Jon, 5.13 is suppose to have this ability but you must have installed the extra serial link for the Connext stuff to work so just making sure you installed that connection. Check out page 21-16 in the Rev. T manual.

Last edited:
Figured it out!

The trouble with having 2 screens is that the connext line is hooked to the PFD and I was trying to load flight plan from MFD! Doh!
Works great from the PFD. Sure wish we could load airways from the G3X though!

So, do we have any guidance on installation of the new positioning source? My RV-8A is currently in pieces, so it's convenient for me atm to install the (expensive) antenna either under the cowl, or on the deck just aft of the rear seat without much trouble. How long should the RG400 conductor be? I can make it 3ft, but I've seen "recommended" lengths much longer...

The new Rev. U install manual on the web covers GMC 307, GPS 20A, and GSU 25B

"U"? I'm glad I don't print out every new version. I'm still working off a hardcopy two or three versions ago.

Last edited:
Transponder upgrade still needed?

I have a standard 330 transponder, will the new GPS20a work with this or do I still need to upgrade it to ES. Also will the 20A provide ADSB in to my 696 or is the 39 still required.

Also any chance this unit can connect to the GRT HX efis as an external GPS?

Thanks!

I have a standard 330 transponder, will the new GPS20a work with this or do I still need to upgrade it to ES. Also will the 20A provide ADSB in to my 696 or is the 39 still required.

Thanks!

Hello Bill,

You would need to upgrade your GTX 330 to a GTX 330ES before connecting it to a GPS 20A would provide ADS-B Out.

The GPS 20A is a WAAS/GPS position source, but not an ADS-B receiver, so you will still need the GDL 39 to provide dual frequency ADS-B traffic and weather to your 696.

Not only does the GPS 20A provide ADS-B+ position data to the Mode S transponder, but it also provides a second RS-232 port that provides NMEA data at 9600 baud, 1 start bit, 1 stop bit, 8 data bits, and no parity and transmits GPRMC, GPGGA, GPGSA, GPGSV, GPVTG, and PGRMT sentences for use by other devices. Not sure if your EFIS will use this data, but it might.

See page 22-41 of the Rev. U G3X Installation Manual for a description of this RS-232 connection.

Thanks,
Steve

Thanks!

This GPS does nothing for providing your 330 xponder with the ES functionality. You will still need that upgrade if you want to use the 330.

This is a GPS not an ADS-B IN receiver. You will still need a receiver and I highly recommend the dual band GDL39 unit. Works like a charm with the 696!

Garmin has stated that this GPS could be used with other systems as it will support their ADS-B+ format which has already been at least partially deciphered by a few and hopefully Garmin will publish that protocol eventually and it also outputs NMEA data as well.

EDIT: Looks like Steve beat me to it. So there you have the official answer!

Last edited:
Thanks steve

I currently have my 696 feeding gps data to GRT as a backup so I assume this stream would be useable.

I currently have my 696 feeding gps data to GRT as a backup so I assume this stream would be useable.

If it were me, I'd hardwire the GPS-20A to the GRT and use the 696 as a backup GPS source if an extra RS-232 was available. But I'm weird and enjoy changing things around and rewiring....

If it were me, I'd hardwire the GPS-20A to the GRT and use the 696 as a backup GPS source if an extra RS-232 was available. But I'm weird and enjoy changing things around and rewiring....

Forgot to mention i have 300xl connected to grt as primary gps, 696 is number 2. I would keep that as i can feed a flight plan to AP from either GPS.

Thanks all for great answers!

GPS 20A Antenna Cable Length

So, do we have any guidance on installation of the new positioning source? My RV-8A is currently in pieces, so it's convenient for me atm to install the (expensive) antenna either under the cowl, or on the deck just aft of the rear seat without much trouble. How long should the RG400 conductor be? I can make it 3ft, but I've seen "recommended" lengths much longer...

Hello Charley,

Good question on the RG-400 length requirements. As hard as we try to catch everything, it seems we left that guidance out of the GPS 20A installation guidance in the Rev. U manual.

The GPS 20A has the same antenna installation requirements as the GTN 6XX/7XX as explained below.

Cable loss from the GPS/SBAS antenna should be between 1.5 dB and 6.5 dB in order to maintain proper rejection to interference signals.

Coaxial connectors and adapters, such as TNC to BNC, add additional loss to the cable and should be considered when computing the cable loss. A typical loss of 0.2 dB can be used for each connection.

For RG-142B or RG-400, 1.5 dB equates to a length of approximately 6.5 feet of cable with a connector on each end.

For installations where you don't need 6.5 ft of cable, the cable may be coiled, taking into account the minimum bend radius of the cable.

Let us know if you have additional questions.

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:
Back