What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Jeff Sharman (merged)

Steve Barnes

Well Known Member
I just learned of the passing of Jeff Sharman on the afternoon of the 13th. Jeff was very well known and loved in the world wide RV community. Jeff shipped dozens of RV's world wide as well as other planes.

The only details that I have of Jeff's death is he was flying a small single place experimental (not an RV). It may have lost a wing in flight.

Jeff will be very much missed by our local RV and pilot community.

Steve

Just saw the news on TV, they did not mention a name.

Sorry to hear this, I met Jeff at one of the local RV events, nice guy.

RIP Jeff.

Heard about it a few minutes after it happened. Awful.

Jeff operated out of a hangar across from me at KDWA for many years. He will be missed.

The plane he was flying was an Avions Fairey Tipsy Nipper. Jeff imported the plane for himself, because (as he explained it to me) he had one as a young man in South Africa and wanted another. He had a big smile on his when he was showing it to me last year.

RIP :(

passing

Jeff will be missed for sure, my condolences go out to the family.
Blue sky's and tail winds my friend

Jeff collected, packed and shipped an RV-8 kit to us last summer. He was a really top notch guy, who provided a great service. Very sad news.

I just received the following email about the memorial for Jeff.

Please join us to celebrate the
extraordinary life,? of an extraordinary man.

Tuesday February 19th 2013 at 3:00pm
Hangar 6A Nut Tree Airport, Vacaville

It?s possible that we have missed getting this flyer to all of Jeff?s friends; in that case please feel free to forward this on to anyone that you believe would want to celebrate with us.

Parking will be behind Lowes, the old ball field lot.

Jeff's Company

For anyone that is interested in shipping airplanes. Jeff's wife Sheila plans to keep the company in business. She did all of the paperwork, organization and communication for shipment of airplanes. Scott, who dismantled, packed and loaded the airplanes, plans to stay and continue the excellent work that he does. Jeff will be missed by all that knew him as he was a generous man, but his Sharman Enterprises will go on and he won't be forgotten.

Tom

Thomas R. Allen RV-6
7084 Pleasants Valley Rd.
Vacaville, CA 95688

Meerkat I, II, III, and I think IV

For those of you who didn't personally know Jeff Sharman, you may have known his planes. Each red RV he built had a picture of Meerkats standing vertical on the vertical stabalizer. Meerkats are from So. Africa, Jeff's country of orgin.

Jeff passed on Wednesday his Tipsy Nipper close to the town of Winters in Northern California. All indications were that it was an in flight structural failure.

A memorial will be held at the Nut Tree Airport at 3:00 on Tuesday the 19th of February.

Sad news

I know one of the owners of one of his RV-4's. Kerry Roberson is a tow pilot at Williams Soaring Center, and flies, I believe, Meerkat II.

Really sad to hear this.

I'll be there.

I knew Jeff well. He and I both in the same line of business (shipping airplanes) but we were never in competition with each other; we often worked deals together. He was one of the most honest, stand-up guys I've ever had the pleasure of knowing. He will be sorely missed.

Jeff gave me my first RV-4 ride

This is very bad news.

I met Jeff at Vacaville in 2002 when I discovered the RV-4. He had one of the notable ones and I called him to see if I might get a closer look. Turns out he took me for my first RV ride ever and I was totally hooked on the -4. Bought my kit soon after and flew it in 2006 for the first time. Took it to Jeff right away for his approval. He even ended up buying my straight tail 1963 Cessna 150 and shipped it to South Africa where I believe it is flying today.

Always enthusiastic, a one of a kind man. I'll miss him.
Ron
RV-4 N8ZD

Jeff's Meerkats are, as of last week;

Meerkat 1, RV-4, flying, for sale in SA
Meerkat 2, RV-4, flying, KVCB, USA
Meerkat 3, RV-8, wrecked, SA
Meerkat 4, RV-4, flying, KVCB, USA (Jeff's current mount)
Meerkat 5, RV-4, in restoration, KVCB, USA

Very nice memorial

I just got back from Jeff's memorial. There were well over 250 people packed into his large hangar. His wife and son were surrounded by so many people who's lives Jeff had touched. It was amazing to hear the stories and praises about Jeff. It was truly a celebration of his life.

Bottoms Up, Jeff! We'll miss you.

Jeff bought my RV-9A from me and shipped it to its new home. I never met him in person, but in our dealings on the phone he was a friendly and honest guy. Very sorry to learn of his passing. His family will be in my thoughts.

mcb

I have an aircraft ferrying business. I moved several RVs for Jeff and got to spend time with him and Sheila...very wonderful folks.

I just now found out about his passing and I'm devastated.

You should have seen his smile when he was showing me his "Tipsy".

I am better for the experience of meeting him.

Bob Edison
Anchorage

Jeff and Sheila shipped my RV7 to SA at the end of 2011. I made many (I mean many) calls to both Sheila and Jeff whilst going through this process.
They were always friendly polite and helpful, answering my myriad of questions with ease.

I got the distinct impression that although Jeff was very happy living in the US , he very much enjoyed contact with people from home.

So sorry to hear of this tragic accident

My sympathies and thoughts to Sheila and Family
Paul Grobler

Back