What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Q about noise cancelling headsets ??

charosenz

Well Known Member
I have the basic inexpensive Flightcom headsets. For the money, I think they are fine.

I have a turbocharged Honda in my RV6A with a straight pipe exhaust. The Flightcom headsets don't offer a lot of sound deadening to the sound of the engine.

I have never owned noise cancelling headsets like the BOSE.

For those of you who have those, do you think they would offer significant reduction in engine noise? If so can you say how much? A little, a lot, or "depends"?

Do you have a recommendation for a noise cancelling headset?

Thanks.!!

I have the basic inexpensive Flightcom headsets. For the money, I think they are fine.

I have a turbocharged Honda in my RV6A with a straight pipe exhaust. The Flightcom headsets don't offer a lot of sound deadening to the sound of the engine.

I have never owned noise cancelling headsets like the BOSE.

For those of you who have those, do you think they would offer significant reduction in engine noise? If so can you say how much? A little, a lot, or "depends"?

Do you have a recommendation for a noise cancelling headset?

Thanks.!!

Would ANR headsets offer significant reduction in engine noise? Yes.
How much? A lot.
Recommendations? Lightspeed, and Bose seem to come up the most. David Clark also has some, if those appeal to you. Most ANR users seem to be the most happy with Lightspeed and Bose.

If you order through Sporty's...

Take your new headset flying and make sure it's the right choice for you. If you're not thrilled, return the headset to us within 60 days and in the same condition in which you received it - we'll exchange it for another headset or refund your money. There's no paperwork and no hassle. Just another reason why Sporty's is the #1 headset dealer in aviation.

Josh, Carl,

Excellent info, thank you very much.

Carl it is funny you mentioned the mic muff. Mine fell off a few flights back and I cannot find it and I have been flying without one. Might have to work harder to buy/make one....

Borrow?

Do you know anybody with a Bose or Lightspeed or David Clark ANR headset? Maybe they'll let you borrow them for a test flight?
BTW, my wife and I have Bose headsets. I LOVE mine. My wife, not so much. She feels like it pinches the top of her head and the spring pressure squeezes too hard, she says. She wants to try the David Clark....

The only one who has a set has different plugs than mine, but yes, it is an opportunity I would not turn down!

I did look at those micmuffs that Carl sent the link too. Interesting...I have never seen or head about a cover over a foam muff before, I gotta order those tomorrow...

I suspect everybody has there favorite, and it's probably going be the one that they personally spent a bunch of money on :)

I bough Lightspeed Zulus about 10 years ago and have no complaints. The only issue is that the naugahyde stuff on the ear seals is starting to flake off, but thats probably to be expected at this point. The set that I wear most has probably close to 1000 hours of no air-conditioning low and slow with students and I've sweat on them a ton.

As far as ANR overall, I't was hard for me to justify $800 for a headset just because of what I considered a "nice to have" feature, but now I wouldn't go back. When you hit that button, it's like God just hit the mute button on the world...

I’ve had many headsets over the years but my Bose A20 is my first noise-cancelling airplane headset. It works well, as I expected given my experience with Bose Quiet Comfort headphones over the years, and that’s why I went with Bose. Objectively, I suspect it makes little difference and that I probably would have liked Lightspeed or others just as much. As it is, the A20’s have been fine. I don’t notice them while flying and I guess that’s all that matters. I do note that the ear cushions on my first set, a couple of years old, are both flaking and have ripped around the seams exposing the foam. The replacement of those is easy, but costs $12 (Chinese knockoffs from Amazon) to $25-$54 for the Bose-labeled replacements, price depending on who you buy them from. The microphone foam is available everywhere .. pennies for a handful of the things.

+1 for the CQ1 headset. Try a set for $425 before shelling out $800 or more for a noise cancelling headset. They come with a 30-day money back guarantee.

Headsets are a matter of personal choice. In ear headsets are even more personal. In addition to not wanting to share ear tips, the frame can (and SHOULD BE) bent to fit the wearer's head. It took me multiple flights to become accustomed to putting the ear tips in. I never forgot to take the traditional headset off before getting out of the plane. After using the CQ1 for more than two years, I still sometimes forget I've got them on and try to exit the plane while wearing them. Capt Sandy LOVEs her CQ1.

I've used David Clamps without noise cancelling, Peltor's without noise cancelling. 15 to 20 years ago, I added noise cancelling to the Peltor's and thought it was great. Early adopter of Lightspeed headsets through the Zulu's. Enabling the noise cancelling is remarkable. Currently VERY HAPPY with CQ1's. I think the CQ1's are as effective at blocking sounds as the noise cancelling headsets. VERY hard to compare since turning on the Noise cancelling is immediate, while it takes a little bit of time for each ear tip to expand in one's ear.

The Zulu's worked the best of the noise cancelling that I tried. However, the Zulu's went back to LightSpeed every couple of years for a free repair and updates until Lightspeed changed their repair policy to $100 flat rate and I stopped being a customer.

Regards,

Back