What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aera 660 not connecting to comm after software upgrade

BruceW

Well Known Member
I have a Garmin Aera 660 with SL40 for comm.
Was working fine and the 660 connection to the SL40 allowed for frequency output. Nice.

Did a software and database upgrade last month, now not getting the frequency output to the comm. Double checked manual and serial data format and all is same as before.

Did the 660 software upgrade change something else? Any other things to check before I call Garmin? Thanks.

Was working fine and the 660 connection to the SL40 allowed for frequency output. Nice.

Did a software and database upgrade last month, now not getting the frequency output to the comm. Double checked manual and serial data format and all is same as before.

Did the 660 software upgrade change something else? Any other things to check before I call Garmin? Thanks.

Hi Bruce,

I retested my Aera 660 V3.70 connection to a GTR 200 radio (uses same VHF Out protocol), and everything is working great including manually pushing frequencies to the GTR 200 and automatic transmission of closest and flight plan airport frequency groups.

There could be some issue specific to the SL40, but more likely a wiring or configuration problem.

You should also make sure that your contacts are clean and bright between the Aera 660 and the mount. I once had a problem with intermittent connections to the GDL 52R on one of the two Aera 660 serial ports. I cleaned the contacts with alcohol, and everything has been fine since then.

Good luck!

Steve

Hi Bruce
I had a similar issue with my Aera 660 beeing connected to a GTR225. Having set both serial ports to "...&VHF Out" caused the problem.
Maybe that helps.

Gerd

Last edited:
Aera 660 Configuration

Bruce,

We reviewed the VHF data output from the Aera 660 with current software, and everything appears to be working normally on our bench. What configuration setting are you using on the Aera 660?

Thanks,

Justin

Using "Aviation In/NMEA & VHF Out" on both ports.
Same as before.
What other configuration settings would apply to this ???

Justin, PM me if that works better.

Solved- I think

Played around with the settings some more . . .

Port 1 and 2; set at Aviation In/NMEA & VHF Out, = No Go.

Port 1 set at Aviation In/NMEA & VHF Out, Port 2 set at GTX TIS-1 In/NMEA & VHF Out (any other setting for Port 2) = No Go.

Port 1 set at Nothing, Port 2 set at Aviation In/NMEA & VHF Out, = BINGO!

(Guess the SL40 is set to Port 2)
This syncs with GStrassburg's comment about both ports on the same thing.
Wasnt a problem before upgrade, but apparently matters now.

Thanks all for the help.

Can confirm a similar issue on software version 3.70 which I think is current.

Had both ports set to Aviation In/NMEA & VHF Out and had the same problem.

I'm now running both as GTX TIS-A In/NMEA & VHF Out on both and the issue is resolved. In my case I only actually care about the NMEA & VHF Out (the 660 isn't receiving anything) so the In format isn't important.

Definitely seems like a bug here.

Back