What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How old is too old, to build?

pierre smith

Well Known Member
Stuff happens and today, I received a phone call telling me that Mr. Bobby had died at 2:00 a.m. this morning.

Bobby started building his slow-build -7A in his seventies and in those 5 years, I got to know him well since he had started it in Ray Lawrence's hangar and builder-assist facility, when he wasn't flying a corporate Navajo for a local business, IFR!!

When it came time for transition training, he was my first student and a pretty fair crosswind was blowing that day. He had learned in Stearmans and the like, as a young man, so as we approached the airport, I asked him how good his crosswind skills were and he replied, "Pretty good, actually!"....and I figured that I'd soon find out.

He made the prettiest one-wheel landing in my totally-new-to-him RV-6 that I'd ever seen!

I was proud to fly chase for his maiden flight, with his son riding with me and photographing his Dad. Bobby landed and couldn't stop the tears of joy!

At 82, he still loved and enjoyed his beautiful creation:

bobbyfirst.jpg

R.I.P. Mr. Bobby Moore....blue skies and tailwinds,

....and to all you old fogies on the fence...follow this example and get going!

Best,

Excellent Advice!

As far as I know, we only go around this merry-go-round once. Might as well enjoy the ride.
My wife and I, and many friends of ours, play this card game called "Kuhl Handel" (roughly translated from German = Horse Trading). In the game, you try to buy animal sets using auction style interactions and blind bids using the money you receive every so often. The game was designed to teach eastern european kids (farm) business strategies and bartering. At the end of the game, the animal sets amount to points which help you "win the game", and the money you have left over is.... meaningless...! That is IMHO the best lesson the game teaches. In the end, the money is meaningless! Enjoy life as much as possible. R.I.P. Mr. Bobby.. Thanks for the lessons!

Pierre, I am sorry to hear about Mr. Moore. I didn't know him, but I do applaud his accomplishments.

Just yesterday I logged on to the AOPA Air Safety Institute web site and took one of their courses..."Aging Gracefully, Flying Safely."

Although it obviously doesn't address building an airplane, it does present several points that most of us older pilots have not considered. I'd recommend it to any pilot over 60.

Again, my sympathies to the Moore family.

How old was Steve Wittman when he built his last airplane? 90?

From Wikipedia " Wittman remained active in aviation his entire life. For Wittman's 90th birthday a celebration, Wittman demonstrated aerobatic maneuvers in his V-Witt and Oldsmobile powered Tailwind."

He's still my hero.

Locally, we had a gent who kept telling me that he was too old to waste time and had to finish building soon. He was about 70 at the time. He's 88 now and still going strong.

Age is no excuse, condition might be, but age isn't. Keep building! Fly safely!

My condolences to Mr. Bobby's family. He sounds like a great guy.

Sorry for the friend loss, Pierre,
We never know what the Lord has in store for us. But friends ships last for ever in our mind.

Smilin' jack

Interesting question, Pierre. It can not be answered easily as we are all wired differently.

In my case (age 73) it is a matter of doing something that's been on the back burner or bucket list for some time - build and fly the -8.

The project is invigorating. I may not finish it sure am planning on doing so.

You're the MAN!

Interesting question, Pierre. It can not be answered easily as we are all wired differently.

In my case (age 73) it is a matter of doing something that's been on the back burner or bucket list for some time - build and fly the -8.

The project is invigorating. I may not finish it sure am planning on doing so.

You are an inspiration David - I'll bet you will love the airplane. When you get it done you should consider racing with us.

Bob Axsom

Take stock before you start

Sorry for the loss of your friend, Pierre. It's inspiring any time I see an older builder with the moxy to tackle a project like building an airplane. We had a wonderful old airport bum (term of endearment) who, at 80-something, started building a Hatz. His wife had passed and he had nothing better to do but hang around the airport and work a little every day, even knowing that he might not live long enough to finish it or certainly ever fly it. And, indeed, he flew west before seeing the plane take wing.

However, your question is a valid one. In fact, I wrote a rough essay on that very subject and was hoping to see it published someday, but the essence is to take stock of yourself before beginning a project like building a plane, and age is a big part of it.

For example, when I got the big idea to build an RV-8, I was a much younger man. I had hair, was slim and didn't wear bifocals. I eventually found myself wedged up under the instrument panel one day, my feet sticking out of the cockpit like chopsticks, my glasses on upside down so I could see something near that was above my head ... and I was stuck! I thought of a lot of things in those few minutes when I thought that my remains might not be discovered for days.

If you wait until you're approaching mid-life to build an RV, honestly evaluate how long it will take you given your finances, time and help available. If it is expected to take you more than a handful of years to complete your plane, you might be a different person when you emerge a builder and pilot on the other end. Your dream plane that you envisioned at 40 might end up a nightmare at 55!

Yes, Pierre, that's a very valid question. And a good, hard look in the mirror might just prevent a very costly mistake.

We started building our RV-6A when I was 60

Jeanine and I worked on it for 8 years and I continue to modify and race it with no difficulty whatsoever ~8 years later. Putting a time limit on things based on life expectancy when you have no life threatening problems and you have the time, talent, money and the desire to do them is a form of self fulfilling prophesy. Come out to any one of the SARL Air Races and I will give you a run for your money. There are two races scheduled on the same date so I can only be at one of them but I plan to fly in all of the other ones listed below plus the AirVenture Cup Race from Mitchell, SD on July 22. I have the perfect airplane for me but if I didn't I would have no hesitation to start another one as my friend Ken Knowles did a few short years ago. He had to sell his RV-6A because of his wife's illness but after she died he built a Sonex and misses his RV-6A. He is 93.

Texoma 100 Air Race
31 March, 2012
Sherman, TX (KGYI)

Taylor 150 Air Race
14 April, 2012
Taylor, TX (T74)

Hill Country Air Race
21 April, 2012
Llano, TX (KAQO)

Big Country Air Fest & Air Race
28 April, 2012
Abilene, TX (KDYS)

Lone Star Air Rally
19 May, 2012
Galveston, TX (KGLS)

Memorial Day Air Race
26 May, 2012
Terrell, TX (KTRL)

Big Muddy Air Race
9 June, 2012
Carbondale, IL (KMDH)

Great Northwest Air Race
16 June, 2012
Ephrata, WA (KEPH)

Big Sky Air Race
7 July, 2012
Three Forks, MT (9S5)

Indy Air Race
11 August, 2012
Indianapolis, IN (KTYQ)

Pappy Boyington Memorial Cup
18 August, 2012
Coeur d'Alene, ID (KCOE)

MERFI Air Race
25 August, 2012
Urbana, OH (I74)

Ozark Air Race
8 September, 2012
Cassville, MO (94K)

Pagosa Springs 150 Air Race
22 September, 2012
Pagosa Springs, CO (KPSO)

Tennessee Air Race
29 September, 2012
Tullahoma, TN (KTHA)

Northwoods Air Race
6 October, 2012
Waupaca, WI (KPCZ)

Cleveland Air Race Revival
13 October, 2012
Cleveland, TX (6R3)

Thunderbird Air Race
13 October, 2012
Wickenburg, AZ (E25)

Maryland Air Race
20 October, 2012
Maryland (TBD)

Jasper Air Race
27 October, 2012
Jasper, TX (KJAS)

Rocket 100 Air Race
17 November, 2012
Taylor, TX (T74)

Bob Axsom

We build airplanes because we enjoy building as much as flying and some enjoy the build even more. I know one award winning builder and restorer who is not even a pilot. So I think age matters very little if you are doing something you enjoy. Building will keep you active and alert.

I started at 52 and finished at 59. I'm 60 now and plan on flying the pants off that RV-9A. I might even build a 12 later if I feel the need to go sport pilot. Building sure beats watching TV.

Sorry to hear about your friend Pierre.

To answer your question why wait until it is too late to build an airplane? To anyone reading this and sitting on the fence this should push you off. Life is short, then you die. ;)

Started RV-6 when I was 63, finished at 68. Started RV-7A at 74 and finished at 77. Still flying 7A at 82. Age is only in your mind. :D:D

Too Old to Build?

I do not think it is the age that is important. It is your finances! When you are young, one does not have a bottomless well of financial reserves that can be used to build. You know, kids, family other obligations. But as you "mature" income increases and one has more disposable monies that can go into the process and as we all know, this is not an inexpensive hobby. (Depending on what you build and how you equip it) But if you have to ask how much it costs, you probably should not be doing it. Like boating - a bottomless money pit?

In the final analysis we all end up the same. But what did you do with the time you did have? Enjoying life to the fullest and doing what you loved irregardles of your age or income.

RV 8A
Little Miss Kitty

Sorry to hear this

Sorry about the loss of your friend. Sounds like a good man and a full life. Thoughts and prayers to all those close to him who are hurting today.

It's done.

Thanks everybody.

We did a four plane at his funeral yesterday. The right wing airplane was his blue and white -7A in the first post and my friend, Ray Lawrence, pulled it up and Westward over the cemetery.

Blue skies and tailwinds,

Thanks everybody.

We did a four plane at his funeral yesterday. The right wing airplane was his blue and white -7A in the first post and my friend, Ray Lawrence, pulled it up and Westward over the cemetery.

Blue skies and tailwinds,

I think the biggest mistake any of us can make is to WAIT. Usually until we think we can afford it. Start now and enjoy it, regardless of your age!

Back