What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SPOT GPS Satellite Messenger Interference with GPS Position Information

Indeed, this is an issue.

I fly with a spot PLB on longer cross countries and over remote terrain. I think its great for safety, and my girlfriend can also keep tabs if she is concerned.

Since I installed my garmin 430W and GTX345, I have noticed a very occasional MSG on my screen. Usually before I can get my hand to the button, its gone and everthing works fine.

One day I caught it on camera and saw this

IMG_20180914_161331 by Caleb Lesher, on Flickr

I have since figured out that it only happens when my SPOT is in the "breadcrumb" tracking mode and placed on the glare shield. I still use the SPOT, but it seems to not interfere if I keep the device farther away from my GPS antenna

It's very odd. It doesn't seem to affect Garmin handhelds, or my Stratux ADS-B receiver. I place my Spot and Stratux on the glareshield side-by-side, and my Garmin Aera 660 is 4" below them on the panel. Haven't seen any GPS issues on any of them with the Spot in tracking mode.

I wonder how much of this is really the Spot, and how much is the shielding design on the Garmin in-panel products. Would an InReach or SpiderTracks mounted on the glareshield do the same thing?

My SPOT sits next to the GRT antennas and also the G696 antenna. Never have seen any signal interference. I don't use breadcrumbs though. Just a manual position when over rough and remote terrain.

Back