What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Plenum

Jimboscr

Well Known Member
Hi Everyone

I have been thinking about the use of a plenum for the 8. I wonder if anyone with one or knows of the use of one could share whether or not it is worthwhile, or just a waste of time and money?

I have had a couple of opinions but would like a some more before making a decision.

Thanks

Jim

Jim, a plenum lid is just a method of reducing leakage between the upper and lower cowl areas. You may be able to seal just as well with conventional rubber baffle strips. Some do it well, some do it very badly.

A plenum lid is not an easy cure for leakage. The trouble with most homemade plenum packages is the intake shape and/or sealing.

Either way...

This is also another very debated item and as Dan says, many are poorly done and so offer no advantage.

Personally, I like the easier access to the injectors, fuel lines and spark plugs with conventional baffling, done right. Your rubber baffling and how the pieces are cut and fit make a big difference in cooling temps, so plan this carefully and ensure good sealing with the contours of the upper cowl area.

Best,

Hi Jim, Have you seen this?

Jan, can you post photos showing exactly how your carbon plenum is sealed to the inlets?

BTW, the notes say "Made for Lycoming IO-360 ENGINES", but that would be parallel valve only, yes? Don't think the attach method will clear the upper cowl above 2 and 4 with an angle valve motor.

Sure, read that.....

I found that a gap of up to 5mm does noet matter at the inlets, but it can easily be sealed with two piese of those rubber strips that you use beow the HS. Otherwise tow strips of soft fom rubber with adhesive backing will do it.

......but I was hoping you had some detail photos. It's all in the execution. A plenum which doesn't seal (in particular at the intakes) is just expensive bling.

A question for Jan

Jan,

Do you make the RV-8 plenum in fiberglass also? If so, is it the same price as the RV-7 glass plenum?

Thanks,

Dan - see the picture below. My apologies for the delay.

RV10_Plenum_Seal.jpg

Steve - yes the RV8 plenum is also available in glass.
$265 plus $50 shipping.

Back