What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Handling qualities of an RV-14

Ron B.

Well Known Member
I have a buddy about ready to purchase all the kits for an RV-14. He had an RV-8 which he bought flying and had some issues with handling while landing. He does quite a bit of tail wheel time and he feels there was something not quite right with the 8.
He is not on here so I told him I would post his request. He is looking for contact information with someone with a 14 (taildragger) that he could chat with. He has been up with me in my 14A and loves it but would like the tail version for himself. If someone could PM me or my email is [email protected]
Thanks

I found the 14 to be average in handling as far as a tail dragger goes, not as nice as the rv4 but after initial hour or two, with his experience, he should be fine.

Tom , do you have enough of a feel for the RV-14 (don't know how much time you have yet) that you could answer my friends concerns?

I had 64 hours in the plane when it was sold two years ago. It ended up in Phoenix and the new owner has put a lot of time on it. I am sure that he would talk to your friend. Have him call me, 519-281-1369 and I will try to get them hooked up

Tom Martin

I don’t think the RV14 has any bad TW traits. After tons of time in an RV6 and a little in an 8, and about 70 in the 14, I’d say it is downright docile. Correct wheel alignment is key. Feel free to PM me also.

Thanks Dennis, my friend called Tom and had a chat with him and I read your post to him and he says he has what he needs.
Ron

Rv14 how does it perform

I have some 150hrs in a14a. I cruise at 165kts 10gph or less. If I drop it below 9 gallons we get just above 155kts This is all around 8,000

Great climb rate 1,500 to 1,800 can do 2,000 but only doing 90kts or less indicated. Much happier at 120 at 1500

I have not flown any other RV. But have good time in piper 180 and c-182. Both slower and much different aircraft. The 180 lands much like the RV-14a. Stalls are so great. The aircraft just wants to recover on its own.

Power it great. Full of fuel and two grown 200lbs men on a hot 100 degree day in Texas up at 65 and climbs like a race car.

Very lite touch on the controls and she will go where your thinking. Spins are also great. Just watch when you put in opposite rudder your quick or due to its size you could just reverse the spin.

Again I am less than a 500hr fix wing pilot so at this point I am still a danger to everyone. If he builds our buys like all RV’s he will love it. Good and safe flying.

Back