What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Achtung - Greenland !!!

It’s not often I watch something on YT all the way to the end, but I watched every second of that one. Amazing and inspiring.

All I can say is, "Wow!".

Great viewing and thanks for sharing! Best video I've ever seen on Youtube.

And by the way....Happy 64th Birthday Mike!

I was so entranced it took me five minutes before I remembered to click it to full screen! Bravo Zulu, good sir!

That was a stunning video and a fabulous journey - well done. I especially enjoyed looking at that old WWII airport as it put a lot of the stories I've read about this location into perspective... so many thousands of brave young men ventured through there on their way to war.

I look forward to watching more quality videos from you soon.

Well, I USED to think BGSF and BIKF in a DC-9 and CYLT and BGTL in a C-17 were kinda, "cool".

Nope. That was EPIC and well captured!

Amazing flying, camera work and editing. Mind blown. :) One of the best flying vids I've ever watched and certainly THE best RV vid I've ever seen. :cool::)

Were are you going to land when engine quits, ?

Well - straight ahaed!

Such a trip itself has it´s risk, even flying high. I try to minimize it with good preparation (which I admit define for myself and listening to others and more experienced and trained pilots). Now flying low there is another level and yes there where a few minutes I relied on the engine. As others said sometimes take the risk and live. Nobody else endangered and I don´t regret it.
BTW where to land when taking off over densely populated area with a single engine or a loaded twin like a Seneca I at 90 deg F ?

Well - straight ahaed!

Such a trip itself has it´s risk, even flying high. I try to minimize it with good preparation (which I admit define for myself and listening to others and more experienced and trained pilots). Now flying low there is another level and yes there where a few minutes I relied on the engine. As others said sometimes take the risk and live. Nobody else endangered and I don´t regret it.
BTW where to land when taking off over densely populated area with a single engine or a loaded twin like a Seneca I at 90 deg F ?

Awesome trip and an excellent video. A great motivator to keep on pushing to finish my build. Thanks for sharing!

Camera power

Very cool, pun included, flying.
How does one keep multiple cameras powered for long flights? Do you have them wired to aircraft power? During long flights do you turn on the camera with wifi during good stuff and off when just not so exciting?

That was epic! You trust your airplane and skills, more risk driving down the road! If something did happen what a way to go!

Just to correct any misunderstanding from Doug's front page intro. This is Hermann Schiele's flight and video.

Probably better known to many of you from his tour of the US and Oshkosh in 2019 - https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=172403

Check out his other YT videos for some more spectacular filming.

I'm hoping to meet up with him at the LAA fly-in at Popham in the UK in a few weeks time

Pierre and Bob, not sure why you have to post your thoughts on alternative engines here. Have a Sube customer who's flown the equivalent of almost 5 times around the world, no forced landings yet...

Any engine can fail, Subaru, Lycoming, PT6, CF6 etc.

Can we just enjoy the amazing journey depicted in this video?

Very cool, pun included, flying.
How does one keep multiple cameras powered for long flights? Do you have them wired to aircraft power? During long flights do you turn on the camera with wifi during good stuff and off when just not so exciting?

The cameras inside the cockpit are easy. I was carrying a spare battery for each camera and never used them. Also I can recharge during flight.
Different story for the outer cameras. On this flight I only had one on the right wing, already regret not having fixed a second one. This camera only run on it´s battery controlled with the Gopro remote control. You can switch the camera off and reactivate any time later remotely. Battery drain then is low. One problem is flying high for an hour or so where it is cold, this makes the battery weak but I found when it is warming up again it recovers some. Yes it is a game sparing the battery for good shots, it worked for me on flights lasting 2.5 hours.

Poopie Suit...

Wunderbar !!!

Epic adventure, very nicely done and filmed!

V/R
Smokey

PS: Having flown over the same places albeit higher and alot faster, always wanted a closer look at BW-2, lots of amazing history there, thanks!!!

PSS: Can also appreciate lots of hours over very cold water in a single engine airplane/Jet, poopie suit notwithstanding.
:)

Last edited:
Any engine can fail, Subaru, Lycoming, PT6, CF6 etc.

Yes that is surely true….but some engines fail at a much higher rate than others. I’ll be diplomatic and just leave it at that.

The video in question is extraordinary in topic and production execution and is certainly inspirational. But the impact of the geographic spectacle and the awe it generates cannot mask the fact that this is a journey of low level flight (including low level aerobatics) in a piston powered single over extremely inhospitable and very remote terrain. In reality it is that very fact that adds considerably to the power of the video.
I’ll bet there isn’t a pilot who has seen this video who didn’t at some stage in the video say to himself: “Wow, you wouldn’t want your engine to quit there”.
Everyone has their own appetite for flying risk and good luck to those who have ventured to the edge. Without them we would never have got off the ground in the first place.
Anyway Hermann’s trusty Lycoming got him home safely. And three cheers for that.
Incidentally, his engine is an Aerosport Power IO-375 M1S with dual P-Mags and an Airflow Performance FM-150 fuel injection system with purge valve.

Last edited:
Back