What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Skybolt Camlocks

A dilemma: I would like to use Skybolt Camlocks on the -14A cowling, but I have the fast build fuselage kit with the wire eyelets already in place to hold the cowling to the fuselage. How have others worked around the existing eyelets?
Thanks.

My path

I also have QB 14. I will maintain the hinge on the firewall and only use skybolt fasteners on the side. Two benefits:
I don’t have to remove the existing hinges and pro seal which is really not a big deal if I wanted to. However more importantly from experience using skybolt on my last cowl you will get pillowing in flight between the fasteners due to the internal pressure of the cowl. On my first cowlI even added extra glass to prevent this. However slight Pillowing still was present. With the hinges the possibility of pillowing in flight goes away. YMMV

I'm removing the hinges and going with screws, just like the bottom of the cowl.

I don't like the hinge pin interference and impossibly small hole (oil door) to install and remove same, and I don't care for how Camlocs hold up over the years (broken retaining springs mostly, bad experience with Mooney).

YMMV

The stock design actually works quite well after you've broken in everything and I think it's the best solution for keeping everything nice and tight.

At first, it's incredibly frustrating since everything is new. Overtime, everything will wear in and it gets very easy. Generous use of Boelube does wonders.

Also, the angle you put your arm into the oil door makes a big difference. Stand on a step stool to get a good angle.

I also have QB 14. I will maintain the hinge on the firewall and only use skybolt fasteners on the side. Two benefits:
I don’t have to remove the existing hinges and pro seal which is really not a big deal if I wanted to. However more importantly from experience using skybolt on my last cowl you will get pillowing in flight between the fasteners due to the internal pressure of the cowl. On my first cowlI even added extra glass to prevent this. However slight Pillowing still was present. With the hinges the possibility of pillowing in flight goes away. YMMV

+1
Totally agree with you. I did the same.

Skybolt Fasteners.

A dilemma: I would like to use Skybolt Camlocks on the -14A cowling, but I have the fast build fuselage kit with the wire eyelets already in place to hold the cowling to the fuselage. How have others worked around the existing eyelets?
Thanks.

I have used Skybolt Fasteners on the firewall end only on two of my aircraft and hinges on the side. I wouldn't have it any other way. I did install all Skybolts on an RV for someone else, but wouldn't do it again. Too difficult to get the cowl off and back on.

I have never used Skybolt's individual tabs. where you drill through the cowl and into location of the fastener. To me a better way is to take one of Skybolt's tabs and lay out a continuous pattern on a piece of .050 to .063 of 6061 or 2024, approximately 3 inches wide that you attach to the firewall. The piece with the tabs I refer to, if you had 10 fasteners, 3 inches apart, the continuous piece would be approximately 30 inches + long.

Back