What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show us the Status of your RV-12

Step one - sign the check

Step two - read all the wonderful blogs and posts by those who have plunked down their hard cold cash to become one of the few on the planet who would build a machine to take them where most only dream of going - up!

http://jimsrv.blogspot.com

Get organized.

Jim, get organized so you can easily find parts...otherwise you spend more time looking for a grommet than you do making assembly. I have three 90 bin organizers in my shop. All 270 bins are full. Each bin is numbered, each line item on the inventory sheets show which bin number the part is in. OF COURSE I sell these bins on my website...[ed. Non-advertiser link removed. dr], But my point is, get organized before you begin. If you have not built your work tables, consider adding locking casters and a second shelf for tools and parts. Glad I did. I also put electrical outlets on all four corners...and built two tables. Can be seen on www.mykitlog.com. Jack Clark Trenton Ga.

Last edited by a moderator:
Milestone - Eagle's Nest-3

After six weeks of building, the students at Eagle's Nest-3, Clear Springs High School-League City, TX, are making airplane noises!

With the enpennage, tail cone, and wings complete, the students took it upon themselves to strategically arrange the completed sections for a photo shoot and some airplane noises. Pictured below are the 2nd and 7th period students proudly displaying their progress.

_DSC7553x.jpg

_DSC7541x.jpg

Time to unpack and inventory the fuselage...
_DSC7555x.jpg

5-minutes to the bell... just enough time for a little fun!
_DSC7563x.jpg

Last edited:
N737G Nears Completion

I was at the aerodrome helping NASA515 with some of his final work on Friday and shot this status pic:
P1030393-L.jpg

That's Bob Bogash hisself.

SkyView is in and all features now working. Radio comms. Lights light. Still need to do the first engine start and then AW inspection.

Bob said it would be OK if I made him famous for a day.

Tony

That is nice, nice, nice paint job. Need to get mine painted. How much and how do I contact?
thanks

Very Nice!

Maybe it's just the lighting, but in each photo it looks like the canopy is heavily tinted. Is it? Share info? Thx.

Maybe it's just the lighting, but in each photo it looks like the canopy is heavily tinted.

I had that same thought too - guess the answer is no.

But wow....that really is a sharp paint job! Congratulations on a beautiful plane. As others have observed on previous 12s, paint and wheel pants really do alot for the 12.

120706 is starting!

Well you have to start somewhere. The tailcone/emp crate was delivered today. The garage is not ready at all to get started and tomorrow is cataract surgery day. What a great Christmas present! As a matter of fact the whole plane is going to be one looong Christmas present!

Here's the crate!

537471_10200316846223069_2060429890_n.jpg

Got her open!

12275_10200317083428999_2287425_n.jpg

Exactly what I was looking for tonight! The plans, binder, standards manual and a sealed envelope full of forms for spending more airplane money (coming soon) and the pick list for inventory...

14527_10200317154830784_353810710_n.jpg

The inventory is this weekend!

BTW, the pictures were from postings on my facebook page. Website soon to follow.

Bob

Don't forget, that is not just a crate - it is a storage unit! http://www.mykitlog.com/users/displ...TX&project=1903&category=0&log=121321&row=210
Well you have to start somewhere. The tailcone/emp crate was delivered today. The garage is not ready at all to get started and tomorrow is cataract surgery day. What a great Christmas present! As a matter of fact the whole plane is going to be one looong Christmas present!

Here's the crate!

537471_10200316846223069_2060429890_n.jpg

Got her open!

12275_10200317083428999_2287425_n.jpg

Exactly what I was looking for tonight! The plans, binder, standards manual and a sealed envelope full of forms for spending more airplane money (coming soon) and the pick list for inventory...

14527_10200317154830784_353810710_n.jpg

The inventory is this weekend!

BTW, the pictures were from postings on my facebook page. Website soon to follow.

Bob

It's all happening now

After years of dreaming I am finally building my RV.

VS is almost complete. Just waiting for my new hydro-pneumatic rivet puller.

dsc00640ow.jpg

Congratulations Dave, I am happy you are done with the process and came out on top! Like others, I followed your build almost daily, so feel I am a part of it. (No, my registration is not a copy of yours, my DG is for Don (me) and my wife (Geneda))

Congrats Dave!

That looks like my good friend and fellow tractor builder Mr. Lee Thiel from the FAA in one of you pics. He's inspected many of my airplanes and is an all around great guy!

Have fun with your new airplane.....or is it Meg's new plane :D??

Congrats, Dave

From what I understand, the Columbus FAA people are less "homebuilder-friendly" than the Cincinnati group, so you got yours the harder way. If we ever gert out of the deep freeze we gotta go fly.

Wayne 120241/143WM

From what I understand, the Columbus FAA people are less "homebuilder-friendly" than the Cincinnati group, so you got yours the harder way. If we ever gert out of the deep freeze we gotta go fly.

Wayne 120241/143WM
I had heard that too, amongst other warnings, but I had 600 reasons (the $600 cost of a DAR) to give them a chance. I found them to be fair and professional throughout the entire experience, although they did mention that at times their other work made it difficult to find the time to do home builder certifications. They don't like saying no, but these are a relatively low priority to them. I understand that completely - my own job is similar to theirs in that aspect.

They were very impressed with the quality of the Van's kit and seemed quite interested in the peculiarities of the RV-12. They didn't think much of the frigid cold of the hangar, though, and for that I cannot fault them. I've spent the last four years building up a tolerance to the cold (and iocane powder -- anyone get that?) so it didn't bother me as much.

Last edited:
Most don't realize how fortunate you are to have a choice. Down here there are no DAR's and no FAA that will inspect (FSDO is over 250 miles away). I am actually considering flying without an airworthiness cert because of that. I did have a quote of $2100 from a DAR way up in the north country, that is simply not going to happen. If the FAA wants it, they should provide it with our taxpayer money. I have spoken at length about this to the FSDO and the EAA, neither seem very concerned about it.

I had heard that too, amongst other warnings, but I had 600 reasons (the $600 cost of a DAR) to give them a chance. I found them to be fair and professional throughout the entire experience, although they did mention that at times their other work made it difficult to find the time to do home builder certifications. They don't like saying no, but these are a relatively low priority to them. I understand that completely - my own job is similar to theirs in that aspect.

They were very impressed with the quality of the Van's kit and seemed quite interested in the peculiarities of the RV-12. They didn't think much of the frigid cold of the hangar, though, and for that I cannot fault them. I've spent the last four years building up a tolerance to the cold (and iocane powder -- anyone get that?) so it didn't bother me as much.

I've spent the last four years building up a tolerance to the cold (and iocane powder -- anyone get that?) so it didn't bother me as much.

"You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is 'never get involved in a land war in Asia' - but only
slightly less well-known is this: "Never go against a Sicilian when death is on the line
"

Those cold days building will be quickly forgotten when the warm weather arrives and you are flying.

My RV-12 is in pieces.

Happily, the pieces are getting bigger.

EmpTCKit_zps1ce1ed0e.jpg

First major milestone: four months / 197.0 hours build time. Will hold off on mounting the tail surfaces and installing fairings until later in the build. Rudder and ASTs are on shelves, out of frame.
Wings are next...kit is on the floor, waiting.
Note: I don't always work in full dress uniform - thought this occasion was special enough for it.

First major milestone: four months / 197.0 hours build time. Will hold off on mounting the tail surfaces and installing fairings until later in the build. Rudder and ASTs are on shelves, out of frame.
Wings are next...kit is on the floor, waiting.

Great milestone! Brace yourself, the wings won't take much time at all. I think Iit took me longer to build the flaperons than than the wings they attach to.

Me too

Dave, I have enjoyed your construction (and life) notes greatly. You write like a novelist.

Any chance that you could give us the source for the 'backdrop' that you feature. I would like to see the rest of the 'factory'. PS - I think that one of those guys must be my Grandad!!! Thanks again for your instructive and very humorous blogs.:cool:

N73HR Airworthiness inspection

After slightly over three years, airworthiness inspection time arrived on Tuesday, March 19th, 2013 for N73HR, (Serial 120332. Pictured here, from left, are Bill Champion, an FAA MIDO office employee, Rob Reese, Chief Riveter, Haruko Reese, Superviser of Chief Riveter and Chief Pilot, Frank Sperandeo, DAR, and David Autry, another FAA MIDO office employee. One usually does not have a visit from genuine FAA employees for experimental aircraft inspections...they weren't inspecting the plane, they were inspecting the inspector, Frank. All went smoothly, with no squawks. Only modification needed is booster seat and rudder pedal extensions for the vertically-challenged Chief Pilot--have that handled--see my other posts.

1f9c9797-24e2-4e3a-99d3-91a7144dea90_zpsa4df15f5.jpg

The second photo includes us and John Albury (Jetguy on the forum), our building mentor and transition training instructor for Haruko. John will be doing the first flight in our bird next week. I'll post the exciting action soon.

airworth3JPG_zps7ac2f7ce.jpg

Last edited:
Slow progress ...

Well, I haven't broken any speed records but at least I've got this far. :D

9384453040_49fa61a079_z.jpg

Last edited:
Milestone

Primary wing structures complete as of today. Left wing in the background, right wing with illuminated landing light in front.
On to the flaperons, wing tips and nav/strobe installs. Fuse kit coming in July.:D

36be4217-7e0b-4ec6-9dd5-cb4afcaad00f.jpg

A question for those who've been there. They say, "If it doesn't fit you're doing something wrong." OK, then pray tell what am I doing wrong in the next photo? The illustration in the manual is just ambiguous enough not to provide the answer. Would appreciate a little clarity. Thanx.

2b522da5-5a19-4953-b832-32705ea88ce2.jpg

A question for those who've been there. They say, "If it doesn't fit you're doing something wrong." OK, then pray tell what am I doing wrong in the next photo? The illustration in the manual is just ambiguous enough not to provide the answer. Would appreciate a little clarity. Thanx.

The front profile overlaps the aft. Seems correct. Just cleco it up and see if it fits.

Airworthy!

N1769K received its Airworthiness Certificate today from the Indianapolis FSDO. First flight will happen as soon as the weather and my test pilot's schedule permit.

dqn0qq.jpg

Thanks to everyone on this forum and to DeltaRomeo for all of the help along the way!

Last edited:
Hey Ken,

Congratulations. When you are up to it, swing by Twelve Oaks in Martinsville. I'd love to chat with you and see your bird. You can taxi right up to my house.

Thanks Randy,

Unfortunately, Martinsville is not within my test phase boundaries, but I'd love to fly over once I make it to phase two!

Ken,
Congratulations! That first flight will put the RV Grinn permanently on your smile.
Dave O
Greenfield, Rv7A

Thanks Randy,

Unfortunately, Martinsville is not within my test phase boundaries, but I'd love to fly over once I make it to phase two!

Any time you are ready. The runway is narrow and 2300' long so you want to be confident in your skills before attempting to land here. I don't want you to bend any aluminum.

Back