What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show us a picture of your RV-10 progress.

Looks good Rudi.

My wife has picked out colors close to what you have, nice to see how they look on a plane---------you both made a good choice.

Rudi, obviously a nice RV-10, but......I what I really covet is your trailer.

Purchased or homebuilt? Any drawings?

Engine started first time

Only a couple instrumentation bugs to figure out, otherwise ran great, no problem starting.

IMG_1438-600x450.jpg

IO-540C4B5, dual Lightspeed, RamAir, AC, custom prop :)

Last edited:
Way to go, Dwight!

That is a Vans Smile if I've ever seen one. :D Can't wait to see you flying, so keep up the good work.

Yep.

That is a weird looking prop.
What on earth is it?

Jan, Paul Lipps was a one-of-a-kind individual, very forward thinking and definitely marched to a different drummer...a compliment, BTW.

His prop technology added a lot of speed to biplane racers at Reno and other venues. A brilliant man, laid to rest not long ago, with many technical articles on here over the years. He's already missed by many of us.

Best,

Yep, exactly

Second what Pierre said. It's a Paul Lipps design. Can't wait to try it out. I'm pondering copying Paul's cylinder cooling design as well, since I suspect I am going to have some cooling issues with my reduced inlet areas.

Dwight

First build day and first page done!

I now have 3 hours in the books, and the first page is DONE!

Here's my take on a common first build pic:
P1010304.JPG

This is 1 year for me building (41229) so about 100 RV10 kits last year?

1 Year last week. 856 hrs.
Tail 95% done. Just fiberglass left
Wings 80% done. Bottom skin riveting and tips
Fuselage 30% done. Riveting side skins.

Should have just over 2 years to go.

Th way you working you should be done next year. Congrats.

Yesterday was a pretty good milestone for us. She is finally standing on her own feet!

IMG_1188.JPG

What an awesome feeling!

Wings Attached

Got a nice weekend so decided to take the plane outside and get the wings attached for the first time.
Really a cool milestone to see the wings on. It was very hard to take them off and put them back into the garage.
wing-attachment02-M.jpg

wing-attachment04-M.jpg

wing-attachment01-M.jpg

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ya know, that thing is starting to look like an airplane:D

Last edited:
That is funny. Good thing I do not live on a busy road. The traffic that did drive buy, made sudden stops once then noticed it. Funny to watch the look on peoples faces, especially the neighbors that did not know what I have been doing in that garage all this time.

We've now got a 285 HP fan in the garage.

Where's the neighborhood cat when I need them? :D:D

Still working on wheel pants and working on baffles while the epoxy is curing on the plane's shoes.

398861_3503914050479_1650597149_2905384_224150606_n.jpg

That Prop looks Great! The only downside is... wait till you start fitting your cowling. I lost count of the number of times it came on and off!

... wait till you start fitting your cowling. I lost count of the number of times it came on and off!

A friend of mine has a three-blade on his -10 and he ended up cutting the whole intake snorkel off, in order to remove the cowl. He then added camloks around its perimeter so it's a quick removal.

Best,

Looks great Phil! I have a two blade but still made a removable piece that fits in front of the nose leg. My cowl drops straight down and is easy to do. I'll round a pic up if you are interested.

Everyone asks about those. My two year old was parading around the garage wearing mama's shoes and left them at the airplane when I snapped the photo.

He comes out every day and asks me to make the airplane "go up". Can't wait until the day I can say alright let's do it. We may be changing his diaper.

Slight hijack

Phil, A very good idea is to make a wooden disk the same size as the back of the spinner and mount it on the engine instead of having the prop there. Saves you many hours and also eliminating the danger of damaging the prop and scratching the spinner. Also from head "prop strikes" :eek:

Looks great Phil! I have a two blade but still made a removable piece that fits in front of the nose leg. My cowl drops straight down and is easy to do. I'll round a pic up if you are interested.

I'd be curious to see this too. The bottom cowl isnt very fun to get off as is!

It makes a huge difference if you make the airbox front shorter as what is instructed, by about one inch and extend the snorkel by one inch to the inside. This makes for the bottom cowling to drop down vertically. The trick is to make the inside of the snorkel about the same length as the area just above it, looking from the side.

Hangar time!

We moved the big metal baby to the airport today. Next step - wings and tail feathers. :cool:

Congrats on your progress. We just moved ours to the paint shop using the same method... Tow truck. It was scary following behind it!

Excellent!

Good job Brian and Brandi! I am excited for you both. You look like proud parents in that picture! :D

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good for you guys, hope the drive to the airport is not too bad, dont let it spoil your rate of progress.

Flying by the end of the year?????

Thanks all. It was a great day and just having made it there safely with no mishaps was a huge relief.

Nice...

But what's up with the styrofoam cup? :)

hahah Brandi asked the same thing about the cup - we thought we were going to end up caught in a thunderstorm on the way out to the airport so I think one of our visitors thought their cup would help to keep some rain out?? :rolleyes:

I think i see your manifold pressure (MAP) line running down then back up to the firewall.

Personally, i think it is better to run it up then down instead to prevent buildup in the line that you can't see thru.

My trap is in the clear line in the cabin instead. I can visually inspect it for blockage. Recently, i noticed some strange MAP readings. Sure enough, i had oil or fuel in the clear line.

I am curious how others have handled this issue.

Jae

Baby takes her first steps....

What can you get done in 2 1/2 hours? Well, if you have some serious heavy lifting gear, a friend and his two young strapping sons you can get the gear on AND mount the engine :D

img00241c.jpg

img00251a.jpg

img00291e.jpg

img00281l.jpg

Oh, and there was a beer incentive!

Incredible!

Ed,

Your progress is tremendous. I am finishing up the riveting on my tailcone now. However, what took me about 9 months to complete, you've been able to do in about 3!:eek: You are really motoring along...

Back