What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 Secret

stancaruthers

Well Known Member
Don't say a word to anyone on BeechTalk BUT......I'm seriously considering selling my V35B and purchasing an RV 8
Would love to hear the do's n do not's as it relates to what to look for.
I think I want the IO-360 but some have told me the 180 HP will almost keep up.
I want to install G3X touch with G5 also 750 and maybe Garmin's new autopilot or Tru Trak Vizion
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Hi Stan,

The 8 and 8A are fantastic airplanes. As far as engines you can get the IO360 in the 180 and 200 hp. Most will have either the IO 180 or the A1A carb engine. You will get lots of feedback here but after building both versions I prefer the 0360 A1A carb version especially in Texas heat. Less complicated, lower cost to build, runs like a scalded cat.

Hi Stan,

The 8 and 8A are fantastic airplanes. As far as engines you can get the IO360 in the 180 and 200 hp. Most will have either the IO 180 or the A1A carb engine. You will get lots of feedback here but after building both versions I prefer the 0360 A1A carb version especially in Texas heat. Less complicated, lower cost to build, runs like a scalded cat.

Thanks Pat,
My primary mission is a FAST FAST cross country IFR machine without too many loops or rolls. Coming from the Bonanza, this will be a large change for me. It's just the wife and me now and my cash cow has lost her way, I no longer want to cringe at every annual......it's like waiting to hear from the Tax Accountant whether you owe this year or not.
I want to hire the best local builder to do my pre-buy I'm guessing.
I hear lot's of numbers on speed, what set up would allow for 170Kts or will an 8 even do that ?

I 2nd Jay Pratt. When I considered building (I bought one) Jay was a remarkable resource over the phone (so was Mike S and other great folks from this site). "Keep it light".

Jay is an advertiser on the site (RV Central http://www.vansairforce.net/rvcentral.htm ) and has a couple really good videos specific to the RV-8 that Doug Reeves (DR VAF Administrator) posted on Youtube.

Jay Pratt Talks About The RV-8 QB Fuse:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EP7_1Z3e4Kg

Jay Pratt Part Two: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65F_tWELdSE

Here is a video of the RV-8 I bought after a pretty long search:

Chads RV8 part 1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAMnOQHQlfE

Chads RV8 Part 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-tBkJFseBs

Titan IO-360 parallel valve and a BA Hartzell CS prop, two persons with baggage. IAS 143 kts, TAS 173 kts, GS 190 kts, altitude 9,500, OAT 18C, MP 21.9, RPM 2280, GPH 8.3, HP 65%. Based on screen shot of EFIS on our way to OSH.

Last edited:
My primary mission is a FAST FAST cross country IFR machine without too many loops or rolls. Coming from the Bonanza, this will be a large change for me. It's just the wife and me now and my cash cow has lost her way, I no longer want to cringe at every annual.....
I hear lot's of numbers on speed, what set up would allow for 170Kts or will an 8 even do that ?

An -8 will do much better. How much better depends on several factors. Opinions vary, but....

Least expensive to build and maintain: 0-360 carbed parallel valve and a fixed pitch. Slowest climb, highest cruise RPM running in the 170~175 knot ballpark. Highest payload at Vans specified gross weight. Some say most bang for the buck.

Best aerobatic: Probably get some debate here, but I'd say IO-360 parallel valve and a composite constant speed. Lower cruise RPM, much better climb, light stick forces in pitch, less rear baggage capacity due to CG.

Best cross country hauler: Fastback conversion to boost rear baggage compartment volume, IO-360, 390, or 400 angle valve with a BA Hartzell so rear loading can be maximized (read "haul almost anything that will fit"). Heavy pitch forces because of forward CG when solo, so not so nice for acro. However, it is very trim stable, which might be a plus for IFR. With some cooling drag reduction, my 390-powered fastback will cruise at ~184 KTAS @60% solo, about 181 loaded up heavy. When I'm in a hurry, 75% is in the mid 190's.

BTW, another vote for Jay. He is right down the road from you.

Last edited:
Can't go wrong with RV

The Bo is a great flyer but you just can't beat the economics of the RV. The innovation in experimental avionics is just worlds ahead of anything certified for the price. I would think a RV-10 would be a closer match to the Bo but they can be pricey. If you haven't flown an -8 yet, try to arrange a good hour flight. They are a wonderful ride but quite different from the Bo. If speed is your mission, then HP is the answer. Lots of great -8 guys here to give you specifics on that jewel.
Good luck and hopefully you will be a convert soon!

Don't say a word to anyone on BeechTalk BUT......I'm seriously considering selling my V35B and purchasing an RV 8
Would love to hear the do's n do not's as it relates to what to look for.
I want to install G3X touch with G5 also 750 and maybe Garmin's new autopilot or Tru Trak Vizion
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks Pat,
My primary mission is a FAST FAST cross country IFR machine without too many loops or rolls.
Van's numbers don't lie. 170ktas cruise with either 180 or 200hp is very realistic, if not a little low. Smart decision to not want "too many" loops or rolls; the key for a happy airplane and pilot is to do just the right amount of each on every flight. ;)

My RV-8 with the 180hp O-360 A1A will do 170kts all day long, and with the constant speed prop it climbs like a bat out of ****, even up here in Denver. My other plane is a Mooney Acclaim, and the RV costs less than half the Mooney to insure, operate and maintain. You'll love the savings.

Last edited:
I've got a Bonanza (J35 with IO550) and RV8 (IO360 angle valve, 200hp). Cruise speeds are almost identical LOP; low 170's KTAS. 12 gph in the Bo and 8 in the RV. Bo is better instrument platform but RV is much more fun!

RV8?

You might want to think about the seating arrangement of the RV8 if your wife will be with you. I have seen alot of guys on this website want to sell their tandem cockpit for a side by side because of passenger issues. Just saying :cool:

RV8?

I agree with Steve.
The RV8 is a great airplane but if you plan to mainly do cross country flying with a passenger, you may want to sit in an 8 with your wife and see what you both think.
The side by side RV's (6, 7, 9 & 14) allow more interaction as well as access to the baggage area in flight.

Just saying :rolleyes:

Tandem/Centerline fight is quite nice for the pilot. Having experienced both, my wife and I enjoy the side by side. If I could have both worlds, believe me, the tandem four was fantastic. Cross country...the seven is so much more comfortable. Coming from standard aircraft like you are considering, and where I also started, total cost and efficiency of Van's aircraft are indeed the best...hands down! Good luck with your decision. You'll be happy with either.

The RV8 is a great airplane but if you plan to mainly do cross country flying with a passenger, you may want to sit in an 8 with your wife and see what you both think. The side by side RV's (6, 7, 9 & 14) allow more interaction as well as access to the baggage area in flight.

Unfortunately, a 6 or 7 provides way too much interaction if the pilot and passenger are tall/large, etc. That's why we now have the 14. Flew one recent; very comfortable, but slow compared to the 8. Tempting, but Ms. Patti likes her personal nest, so we'll stick with it a while.

I like the 8. Flew twice today, really enjoyed the ride up to 11,500 to compare numbers with Dan (will post later).
It is totally different airplane than Bonanza. The 8 is a make believe fighter the Bonanza a great cross country airplane.

I like the 8. Flew twice today, really enjoyed the ride up to 11,500 to compare numbers with Dan (will post later).
It is totally different airplane than Bonanza. The 8 is a make believe fighter the Bonanza a great cross country airplane.

In your opinion, will I like the 8 for CC

Regarding the 0360-A1A versus the IO360, consider the weight. I have the O360. Friends have the IO360 200 HP. It seems the extra 20 HP gets offset by the extra 20 lbs or so of weight in the IO versions. Either engine is great and performance is about the same. I can keep up with any of the IO guys. Of course your physical weight may also be a factor. I'm pretty light.

Cost may be your differentiator as the IO is considerably more expensive to purchase.

Chris

In your opinion, will I like the 8 for CC

Compared to the Bananza probably not. It is a totally different airplane.

I like the 8 for its incomparable flying qualities, it has much better roll rate than the 10 and the Bonanza, it is simply fun to fly.

Sure it's fast enough for good cross country but does not have comfort of the 4 seaters or SWA, my choice for serious cross country. 😎

X2 for the -10

The Bo is a great flyer but you just can't beat the economics of the RV. The innovation in experimental avionics is just worlds ahead of anything certified for the price. I would think a RV-10 would be a closer match to the Bo but they can be pricey.

I second the recommendation for the -10. We came off a 180 HP Skyhawk and while we hardly ever had back-seat pax, we loved the room and the ability to load it up with stuff. Yes fuel burn is a little higher than the 8, but it is so comfortable for XC that we never wish for anything less. YMMV

~Marc

Thanks Pat,
My primary mission is a FAST FAST cross country IFR machine without too many loops or rolls. Coming from the Bonanza, this will be a large change for me. It's just the wife and me now and my cash cow has lost her way, I no longer want to cringe at every annual......it's like waiting to hear from the Tax Accountant whether you owe this year or not.
I want to hire the best local builder to do my pre-buy I'm guessing.

Sounds more like a 9 with an io340 or parallel vale io360 to me. Maybe a 14, but you won't find one of those already built.

Tim

I have an RV8 and a F33A bonanza. The RV8 fits my needs perfectly. Most of the time I do a bunch of solo flying. I see around 175-185ktas on 9.5gph. The Bonanza is better if I wanna bring 2+ people or a lot of luggage. You'll be happy with the RV8 no doubt! Its very fuel efficient for the speed, going from Texas to Oshkosh and back cost me around $300 I believe. The one thing I miss compared to the Bonanza is that the RV comfort level isn't quite as high. Now thats if you do 3+ hour legs. Anything less isn't that bad. The other downside on the RV is how it handles turbulence. The bonanza is in my opinion the much better option for turbulence of any level, the RV not so much. But overall if I had to choose which to take, I'd probably go for the RV. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Sounds more like a 9 with an io340 or parallel vale io360 to me. Maybe a 14, but you won't find one of those already built.

Tim

Coming from a V35B you might be kind of board with a -9... I think you'd be happy with an -8. Nines are more of a 145-150 KTAS plane, although very efficient, especially in the teens. Those narrow body -8s really boogey.

These RVs though, you kind of "wear" them as opposed to sit in them like a bonanza or skylane. Bo's are very comfortable, you might not like sitting shoulder to shoulder and feet stretched out in the side by side RVs. I'm currently flying a mooney M20C and it very much fits/flys very much like my RV-9A, except slower climb speed and higher stall speed, but it carries 1050lbs! Pretty much a 4 seat RV-9A. Once your in its fine, but getting in and out blows for the pilot side.

I'm building an 8 for a cross country cruise speed, not so much aerobatic...they say the personal space in the tandems is actually better than the side by sides and baggage looks similar.

My Mooney is similarly unstable in yaw like my -9A was, feel a lot of tail wagging compared to the 182, which was like a schoolbus on rails. But I heard the V tails are kind of like that too. I'm not sure how the short wings (6,7,8) are in yaw though.

Unfortunately the cost of a nice -8 is going to be similar to a V35B however ownership and operating costs will be exponentially lower.

I'm building an 8 for a cross country cruise speed, not so much aerobatic...they say the personal space in the tandems is actually better than the side by sides and baggage looks similar./QUOTE]

There is more shoulder room in the front seat of an -8 than any other side by side RV cept maybe the-10 when you have passenger sitting next to you. The rear "pit" of the -8 you are pretty much locked into one sitting position which I find uncomfortable for anything more than a ride around the block.

I use my 8 for long cross countries. It's been to CA and FL from CO this year so far. I flight plan 180 knts and 10 gph...the one thing you might want to look for is tip tanks, mine has 60 gal of fuel and that lets you do long IFR legs with really comfortable reserves. At the end of the day, I think you'll find it's significantly faster than the V-35 with lots less fuel burn, but it's not the most stable IFR platform in the world. The fun factor just isn't even comparable !!

I guess first things first
Take pics, get times and list my Bo...... get er gone
I may get a little teared up when the Bo goes.
Go to Hicks or 52F and sit in a few 7's-8's
I assume the 7 will not keep up with the 8 due to fuse width ?

If CC is your mission, the -10 is great. I've had mine over 2 years and put 175 hours on it. It amazes me every flight how comfortable and efficient it is. I flight plan 170ktas on 13gph. Tons of room and haul family of four (wife and 2 teenagers) and bags. 1050 UL by the book. The only thing that limits my legs to 3 hours is my bladder. I also have access to a -7 I fly several times a year. Lots of fun, much more nimble and fuel burn is down to 8gph at same speed. Just need to figure out how much room you need. Best of luck.

Generally speaking and all things being equal, an RV7 is slightly slower (3-4 MPH)than a like equipped RV8 - check the performance numbers at vansaircraft.com, they are pretty accurate. 3 Knots will not make a very noticeable difference, time wise, on most cross countries. Also, since you said you are buying, not building, your choices will be limited by what is available. You can probably get the engine/prop combination you want in a paint job you can live with, but it's less likely you'll get one with the instrument panel you want also. Price will be reflected in the state of the IP. If you can find a good airplane with an outdated panel, you should be able to get it at a good price. Upgrading to the G3X Touch is a good choice, and I would recommend using the Garmin autopilot servos too, to make it a seamless functional setup (personal experience). If you don't want to do the panel upgrade yourself - although it is perfectly OK for you to do that - I can recommend Redline (redlinethegoal.com) to do the upgrade for you (personal experience here too). They have done numerous panel rebuilds and are G3X experts. Good luck with your search. You just can't do better than the RV8.

Other options?

"My primary mission is a FAST FAST cross country IFR machine without too many loops or rolls."

If your search is limited to FG type ships, take a look at the Rocket market too. If you are considering an RG type, the Lancair Legacy is another hot rod, tho not so roomy.

The Rocket can absorb 30kts on the nose and still give you 170KT GS while burning 11GPH. The TCM 550 Evo versions can give you 210+KTAS at 17500' on 11GPH...

Carry on!
Mark

Stan,

I owned a B33 with an IO470N (260 hp) for many years. It was a great airplane and it was used solely for legs 1.5 hr. or longer. I commuted to work each week and the airplane was fast enough, reliable enough and comfortable enough. It was also very expensive to keep between insurance, maintenance, annuals, vionics and consumables. When I retired, my mission changed. The Deb was sitting in the hangar, not getting exercised and I wasn't flying it very much at all. I sold it. I bought a really nice Champ to get refreshed in tailwheel technique and then last February, my son and I bought a beautiful RV8. It's got an 0-360 with a fixed pitch prop. Simple, bulletproof but fast and efficient. My son (an ex-Air Force fighter pilot) loves to do aerobatics and we both enjoy the CC capability. The expense reduction is just amazing. As an example, I recently had a problem with the MGL efis. I removed it, sent it back and within a week, I had it back, fully repaired for about $250!

They are two totally different airplanes. Each does a certain missions well. The RV8 just fits our current needs as perfectly as the Deb did for many years.

Rob

...My primary mission is a FAST FAST cross country IFR machine...

Stan, I second Mark's recommendation to expand your search to the Rocket... I have both, and all I can say is make sure you fly the Rocket last. It will ruin you for an -8.

That said, I have a 200 HP, Hartzell BA, IFR glass -8 potentially available. If you are interested PM me with your email and I'll shoot you some pictures.

The rear "pit" of the -8 you are pretty much locked into one sitting position which I find uncomfortable for anything more than a ride around the block.

That's my experience, too. I've ridden in the back of a couple of 8's and I've found myself just itching to get out after about 30 minutes, whereas I've flown 3.5 hour legs in the -6 without much trouble. I don't like having my legs trapped like they are in the back of an -8. But then, I know of other people whose kids and/or spouses are perfectly happy and comfortable in the back.

If you're going to do any cross-country flights with a passenger, have that person sit in the airplane with you when you're trying them on.

Generally speaking and all things being equal, an RV7 is slightly slower (3-4 MPH)than a like equipped RV8 - check the performance numbers at vansaircraft.com, they are pretty accurate. 3 Knots will not make a very noticeable difference, time wise, on most cross countries.
I think in most cases you're going to see a bigger spread in speed depending on things like cooling drag, rig, etc. For practical purposes you could consider the speeds to be the same--even at 3 knots you're talking about about a 3 minute difference on a 3 hour leg.

That's my experience, too. I've ridden in the back of a couple of 8's and I've found myself just itching to get out after about 30 minutes, whereas I've flown 3.5 hour legs in the -6 without much trouble. I don't like having my legs trapped like they are in the back of an -8. But then, I know of other people whose kids and/or spouses are perfectly happy and comfortable in the back.

If you're going to do any cross-country flights with a passenger, have that person sit in the airplane with you when you're trying them on...

The rear seat thing is a highly personal determination and you are spot on to insist that you "try before buy".

That said, I'm 6-1/200 and have spent hours in the back seat of -8s and Rockets with no particular issue. I'd rate the comfort about even when compared to rubbing shoulders in a side by side RV. Plusses and minuses to each layout. My wife however, strongly prefers sitting in the back - happy in her "nest" as Dan puts it.

We must add perspective without injecting personal bias. That's a tough line to follow sometimes.

If you're going to do any cross-country flights with a passenger, have that person sit in the airplane with you when you're trying them on.

I think in most cases you're going to see a bigger spread in speed depending on things like cooling drag, rig, etc. For practical purposes you could consider the speeds to be the same--even at 3 knots you're talking about about a 3 minute difference on a 3 hour leg.

A common cause of lack of seating comfort in an RV-8 (and the RV-4 for that matter) is a poorly designed seat bottom. I have yet to see a seat bottom made by any of the upholstery/interior companies that is correct.

Because of the seating angle cause by the back seaters feet being rather high relative to their tail bone, the seat bottom needs to have a rather steep angle to be comfortable.

A comfortable seat is one that also provides a wide area of support under your upper thighs so that all of you weight isn't supported under your tail bone/bottom.

I have been comfortable flying all day in the back seat with a properly shaped wedge made of very firm foam under the aft seat bottom.

I flew in the back of Brian's Rocket, the name says it all, Must try if you have the chance!

A common cause of lack of seating comfort in an RV-8 (and the RV-4 for that matter) is a poorly designed seat bottom. I have yet to see a seat bottom made by any of the upholstery/interior companies that is correct.

Because of the seating angle cause by the back seaters feet being rather high relative to their tail bone, the seat bottom needs to have a rather steep angle to be comfortable.

A comfortable seat is one that also provides a wide area of support under your upper thighs so that all of you weight isn't supported under your tail bone/bottom.

I have been comfortable flying all day in the back seat with a properly shaped wedge made of very firm foam under the aft seat bottom.

Home Run!

The RV-4 that was most uncomfortable for me had a fiberglass over foam wedge added that made the rear seat comfortable to sit in longer than the range of the fuel tanks.

If the correct ergonomic angles are not observed in any aircraft, it will be uncomfortable.

So I've got a -8 and also a -9A with the Garmin avionics you talked about. Here are some thoughts:

* Tricycle gear gives you more crosswind capability than tailwheel, especially when you're tired. However, the castoring nosewheels require more attention that steerable nosewheels like you probably have on your Bonanza;
* The Garmin autopilot is well-integrated with the G3X touch. Recommended.
* The -8 has sporty handling, and that makes it less suitable for X-C unless you have an autopilot or lots of energy (I'm now solidifying my status as an old fart). Using an RV-8 for cross country is like putting cruise control into your Ferrari for driving on the interstate.
* I'm told that Van's afficionados consider the -9A the best for X-C. The only thing mine *really* lacks is a constant speed propeller.
* The -8 has a slight fishtail (Dutch roll) mode in even light turbulence. You won't notice it up front, but the back seater will. I've had experienced pilots tell me that an hour in back was enough, in very light turbulence.
* You can end up with a bunch of engine weight and fuel burn for very little extra speed, and the fuel burn will cut into your reserves.
* If you want a plane equipped just the way you want it, you'll almost certainly have to do the installation yourself.
* If you go ahead with an -8, buy a really, really good -8 and go from there. Be especially careful to check the wiring quality.

Have fun!

Ed

Home Run!

The RV-4 that was most uncomfortable for me had a fiberglass over foam wedge added that made the rear seat comfortable to sit in longer than the range of the fuel tanks.

If the correct ergonomic angles are not observed in any aircraft, it will be uncomfortable.

I assume Gary meant to say "comfortable"....... ;)

I 2nd Jay Pratt. When I considered building (I bought one) Jay was a remarkable resource over the phone (so was Mike S and other great folks from this site). "Keep it light".

Jay is an advertiser on the site (RV Central http://www.vansairforce.net/rvcentral.htm ) and has a couple really good videos specific to the RV-8 that Doug Reeves (DR VAF Administrator) posted on Youtube.

Chads RV8 part 1:

Chads RV8 Part 2:

Titan IO-360 parallel valve and a BA Hartzell CS prop, two persons with baggage. IAS 143 kts, TAS 173 kts, GS 190 kts, altitude 9,500, OAT 18C, MP 21.9, RPM 2280, GPH 8.3, HP 65%. Based on screen shot of EFIS on our way to OSH.

You got yourself a great aircraft Charlie! How was Oshkosh?

Chads RV8 part 1:

Chads RV8 Part 2:

Is this an old video or is Chad's RV8 still for sale?
How would a person contact Chad? Having issues learning how to navigate this site.

Is this an old video or is Chad's RV8 still for sale?

No. Not for sale. This is an old video. I bought it from folks out of Arizona who bought it from Chad.

How would a person contact Chad? Having issues learning how to navigate this site.

Chad uses the VAF screen name "cholladay". When you're logged onto VAF click on the screen name of the person you wish to send a message to. You'll see options to email or private message. I find that private messages work best.

Good luck on your decision.

it's tough finding the right 8
Small wheel behind pilot
GPS (430) min
Non clown looking paint scheme
Under $120K

I get the supply vs demand thing, but dam

Back